Is Evgeni Malkin Now The Penguins' Best Player?

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
In terms of last year he was our best and this season he’s probably the best in the league (at the moment).

Career wise Sid still has the advantage but it’s a ****ing great problem to have :DD

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
One game tomorrow night, for all the marbles? I'd have a hard time not putting my money on Sid - and I've never really cared for either one of them. I used to hate Sid, but I couldn't help but to start respecting the work ethic. Unparalleled amongst elite players.

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Pens fan here - Sid & Geno are both the best players on this team on any given night.

They are good problems to have and we love having that problem.

Reactions: Casanova

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
No. Love Geno. But Crosby is the better all-around player and is far more consistent in the defensive zone. Crosby is the one who gets the tough assignments.

Ask McDavid and Matthews. Sid shut them down 5-on-5.
Couldn’t u say Mcdavid shut Crosby down 5v5 as well since he didn’t score 5v5? Mcdavid had as many points as Crosby that game and beats him head to head pretty handedly as far as points go. Crosby isn’t ever in a shutdown role, it should always be him outplaying his opponent (who would be in the shutdown role) since he is #1a/b in the world . Malkin is the one who usually lights up the oilers

As for Crosby vs malkin they are both 100pt guys when on their game. One can be better than the other on any given night

Last edited:
Reactions: Casanova

Elitersson

Unregistered User
Feb 22, 2016
Couldn’t u say Mcdavid shut Crosby down 5v5 as well since he didn’t score 5v5? Mcdavid had as many points as Crosby that game and beats him head to head pretty handedly as far as points go. Crosby isn’t ever in a shutdown role, it should always be him outplaying his opponent (who would be in the shutdown role) since he is #1a/b in the world . Malkin is the one who usually lights up the oilers

As for Crosby vs malkin they are both 100pt guys when on their game. One can be better than the other on any given night

Look at the difference in depth with these two teams. If I'm Crosby, I'm focusing 100% on shutting down McDavid since the Malkin line will easily outmatch the other Oilers lines.

McDavid isn't focused on shutting down Crosby. If McDavid doesn't score, Edmonton loses 9/10 times

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
And there it is... in eight words, all that needs be said on the topic.

Well... we could also say that it's more often Malkin than Crosby these days, but still.
It depends, both do something to help each other.

You can't go up against the Pens thinking Geno is going to have a monster game and not pay attention to Crosby, he'll burn you.

[Mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yep. That's why he has like 10 points in 4 games vs the Pens. Crosby bottled him right up

Here's what you miss, while McDavid is focused on trying to light up Crosby (and it's what, 9pts vs 3pts? omg, brutalizing!), what are the numbers of Malkin and Kessel in that same amount of time?

Oh and have the Pens lost to the Oilers in the McDavid era?

It's a team sport, if you are going to focus your skills on one guy, you better hope the other talent is focused on scoring.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I know he plays behind Crosby and Sid was a lot better in the latest playoffs, but this guy just keeps racking up points, and between him and Crosby he is more of a threat to win the Art Ross at this stage in my opinion.

I'm hesitant to say he is better than Crosby, but he's been a maniac offensively since the 2017 Cup.

this is a joke right?

over all he is not the best all time player on his team--let alone when you talk about a guy like Mario

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
Both Sid and Geno are aging with grace. They are both still very fearful opponents and are still nearly in their prime.

Whats the point of discussing whos better?

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
Both Sid and Geno are aging with grace. They are both still very fearful opponents and are still nearly in their prime.

Whats the point of discussing whos better?
As athletes they are both still in their prime. Just watching Malkin in todays game should be proof enough to any naysayer thinking he is past his prime. The guy is still a beast.

On a side note, remember when that guy said Matthews was better than Malkin? :laugh:

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
As athletes they are both still in their prime. Just watching Malkin in todays game should be proof enough to any naysayer thinking he is past his prime. The guy is still a beast.

On a side note, remember when that guy said Matthews was better than Malkin? :laugh:

No, they aren’t. That they’re still elite among their peers speaks to how good they were in their prime.

Reactions: KIRK and Casanova

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
No, they aren’t. That they’re still elite among their peers speaks to how good they were in their prime.
Actually they are... These are athletes we're talking about here, not an average joe which you seem to be lumping them into. An athelete has several years longer prime than an average human male. As athletes with their training, they are actually still in their prime at their ages and can continue to be well into their mid 30s.

Last edited:

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
This is why I ask myself, how the hell can anyone rank Nathan Mckinnon over Malkin. It's absurd. Give Malkin his wingers the NHL would not know what to do with Malkin. Not to say Kessel sucks by any means but yall get what I am saying..

I wonder why he never had the balls to be 1C on any other team.

Guess some guys arent ambitious, which is regrettable!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad