Is Evgeni Malkin Now The Penguins' Best Player?

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
I think we can all agree that the three players on the highest tier of hockey today are a variation of Mcdavid, Malkin, and Crosby. Nobody else is on their level. (although Mackinnon is getting closer)
True, MacKinnon is knocking on that door. But those guys are definitely the top 3 right now.

Reactions: KIRK

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I wonder why he never had the balls to be 1C on any other team.

Guess some guys arent ambitious, which is regrettable!

Yea if only he put himself out there-he might have 2 scoring titles, 3 Cups, a Conn Smythe, a Calder and the second best point per game average since 2007. What a missed opportunity.

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
I wonder why he never had the balls to be 1C on any other team.

Guess some guys arent ambitious, which is regrettable!
Or some guys realize the great situation they're in and don't care if they're "the go to guy" his abilities and ridiculous numbers speak for themselves. If I'm a hockey player would I rather be far and away the best player on my team and win a cup if I'm lucky? Or would I rather play on a team with a guy as good as me and win multiple cups? I bet if you asked that question to any player in the NHL they would choose the Geno route.

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
Or some guys realize the great situation they're in and don't care if they're "the go to guy" his abilities and ridiculous numbers speak for themselves. If I'm a hockey player would I rather be far and away the best player on my team and win a cup if I'm lucky? Or would I rather play on a team with a guy as good as me and win multiple cups? I bet if you asked that question to any player in the NHL they would choose the Geno route.

Hey some guys have an ego and it drives them into the absolute peak of their abilities!

Luckily some guys are like that out there. Just not Geno it seems

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
Hey some guys have an ego and it drives them into the absolute peak of their abilities!

Luckily some guys are like that out there. Just not Geno it seems
That's where your argument is flawed though.. What doesn't Malkin have? He already has won everything and in dominating fashion. The Stanley cup is the ultimate prize you know.. Hockey is a team sport. This isn't basketball.

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
That's where your argument is flawed though.. What doesn't Malkin have? He already has won everything and in dominating fashion. The Stanley cup is the ultimate prize you know.. Hockey is a team sport. This isn't basketball.

My argument isnt flawed at all. You simply dont get it which is ok.

Heres the thing that he doesnt have and never will: he will never know what his true potential was and whether there was a chance he would be remembered as the best of his generation and not the 2nd/3rd best. And that was only possible with better wingers on a team where he would be their 1C.

Yes he won a lot but in reality its mostly sloppy seconds.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018

Heres the thing that he doesnt have and never will: he will never know what his true potential was and whether there was a chance he would be remembered as the best of his generation and not the 2nd/3rd best. And that was only possible with better wingers on a team where he would be their 1C.

If you play with another good player you’re a bitch.

-this guy

Reactions: KIRK and Son Goku

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void

Malkin plays with some of the best players in the world :laugh: on the deepest team in the entire league. Man yeah I'm sure he'll always be perplexed as to why he didn't have a slightly better player on his line. It's going to haunt him. He reached his potential. He and Crosby are equally the biggest parts of the most successful team of the salary cap era. Sloppy seconds.. That's ridiculous. I bet Malkin is so upset that he didn't get those extra 5 points a season and only got to win every award there is to win.

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
It surprises me that so many men dont get what I mean. Its fine I guess

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

He does have better wingers than Crosby probably more times than not. Better on paper doesn't matter as much than what fits on the ice anyway. Why is it sloppy seconds? I don't really get that thinking. Any team hes on will have good players its not exclusive to Pittsburgh. I would say this has been his best opportunity to succeed. Injuries are the main thing the main factor on his "true potential" in terms of stats. The fans who watch him every game know exactly how great he is.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Here's what you miss, while McDavid is focused on trying to light up Crosby (and it's what, 9pts vs 3pts? omg, brutalizing!), what are the numbers of Malkin and Kessel in that same amount of time?

Oh and have the Pens lost to the Oilers in the McDavid era?

It's a team sport, if you are going to focus your skills on one guy, you better hope the other talent is focused on scoring.

He was specifically comparing individual players. :ha:

KBobs

Dec 26, 2013
Canada
Sullivan was asked who the best player in the world was when the Pens played the Oilers, and he said nobody is as dominant in all 3 zones as Crosby. Mind you, I'm not Pens fan, but I've always heard Sullivan mention Crosby as being the clear cut best player when asked. Take that for whatever you will.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
He was specifically comparing individual players. :ha:
In a thread about Malkin.

This is about Malkin and the Penguins. It appears people like to come and hijack any sort of Pens related thread here with McDavid stuff, no clue why. None of us Pens fans really care about he head to head match ups.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Actually an athelete has several years longer prime than an average human male. As athletes with their training, they are actually still in their prime at their ages and can continue to be well into their mid 30s.

What? I thought it was obvious that when discussing players primes the comparisons are relative to the players and not humanity at large.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Malkin scored 106 points last year in 87 games, Crosby scored 110 points in 94 games.

Malkin beat Crosby in points and PPG for only the 2nd time in his career last year.

Crosby has always played a more defensive role.

Last edited:

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Crosby will put up the same numbers while being much stronger in the dot and in his own Zone. Also 21 points in 12 games vs 8 points in 9 games in last years playoffs...

Jun 16, 2008
Blighty
He's a volcano. He goes quiet from time to time for whatever reason but is a sight to behold when he's erupting. Behold, we have a Geno eruption on our hands.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad