Is Don Cherry Still Relevant?

Dave Karp

Jul 11, 2007
Nova Scotia
Not going to get into a pissing match over Donald. I swear these threads read like US politics threads. Absolutely toxic.

What I will say, after listening to his podcast you come to realize how “rushed” his was on time. Perhaps some of it was his “TV persona” but on his podcast, he’s actually pretty coherent and well-spoken considering his age. I didn’t bother watching any of the talking heads unless it’s Burke or Bieksa (and quite frankly probably won’t watch Sportsnet again ‘til playoff time next year) so I personally miss him but I’m glad he’s doing something where he can just talk about the sport in a relaxed way.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Everyone else isn't paid to be on tv. He's held to a higher standard because he represents the station and the NHL.

Everyone should be held to a higher standard.
Essentially we’re all imperfect, but we still get to be judge, jury and executioner to anyone we don’t like who is in the public eye... not a good look.
Cherry was paid to entertain, bring up controversial issues and comments.
He is a passionate person and for most part on the mark.
I didn’t like all of his comments but it’s rare that you find anyone else that’s 100% in alignment with your own opinions.
It’s a moot point now, it’s just too bad we have become a society of prigs.

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
Cherry is more of a legend now, not really relevant to the current NHL.

Yeah, it's interesting to observe these hypocrites denouncing racism, sexism, colonialism, and capitalism while gleefully age, race, and gender discriminating without any historical context.

Donald S. as an 86 year old White Male with 40 years of opinions on video is one of the easiest targets out there.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
He hasn't been relevant for 20 years. When he first came on the scene he was refreshing, because he actually had an opinion, and didn't care who he offended, in contrast to the company men in the media at the time. Then he fell in love with himself, and became a caricature.
Bang on............self proclaimed best coach ever!! Zero Stanley Cups!!
Not sure why they kept letting him out of the home, every saturday night!! lol

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
How is he relevant. For the last almost 20 years he was more of a side show. People who could deal with his constant ignorance would tune in to hear him say something dramatic. Now he's lost his job. Does he even have a hill to yell into his megaphone from?

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Shouldn't of been fired, but he will be relevant as long as people talk about him. We have 5 page thread here already

I use to love the guy. Then I realized racism is a horrible thing (grew up in a conservative/racist family). He needs to continue to be IRRELEVANT

Do you have proof of this? I also don't see how he is racist.

Nope, which is unfortunate. Man's done more good for hockey from grassroots all the way up than just about anyone. Just wish he didn't get fired for respecting our veterans too much. Judging from the way our ever popular 'leader' treats them it's not surprising it's a dwindling thing in Canada.

Yup. In Ontario specifically, he got leagues to ban hitting from behind long before other youth organizations did. He was also promoting no touch icing years before the NHL and other leagues implemented it. The STOP sign on minor hockey jerseys is thanks to him.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
I dont think hes been relevant for sometime. He probably needed to retire 5-10 years before he got fired. That being said, I dont like the way society is these days where people are even afraid to talk (its not good). Whether you like him or not, hes a canadian icon. I would of liked to see him leave on better terms than he did.
The correct answer.

Reactions: Salsa Shark

barbu

Jan 9, 2019
I thought he was hilarious in 1991 when I was 17. Not so much since.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
Quite apart from his controversial comments, it is probably time, when you are 86 years old, to step out of the national spotlight. He has clearly started to lose his mental edge. And his coaching knowledge from 40-50 years ago is clearly becoming increasingly outdated.

Jacksonbobson

Feb 2, 2009
He has more twitter followers than the majority of the league.

His podcast debuted number one in December.

Is he the most relevant guy in the sports media? probably not but he's pretty far from irrelevant

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Everyone should be held to a higher standard.
Essentially we’re all imperfect, but we still get to be judge, jury and executioner to anyone we don’t like who is in the public eye... not a good look.
Cherry was paid to entertain, bring up controversial issues and comments.
He is a passionate person and for most part on the mark.
I didn’t like all of his comments but it’s rare that you find anyone else that’s 100% in alignment with your own opinions.
It’s a moot point now, it’s just too bad we have become a society of prigs.

Simply put, there are things that you can't say or do on TV without some backlash, what ultimately got him canned wasn't even close to the worst thing he said, it was merely the last in a long line of stupid shit. Cherry was paid to talk hockey, when he steered clear of that he usually made a fool of himself.

He's passionate, sure, but most certainly not on the mark. How about when he went to a Toronto City Council to support their crack smoking mayor? He wore a pink suit and blamed the "left wing pinkos" for all his problems, he even said "put that in your pipe and smoke it," which may be the most poorly aged one liner of all time. How about when he said that women can't enjoy hockey because they talk too much? What about when he said women reporters shouldn't be allowed to cover post-game interviews? What about in 2004 when he said that players who wear visors disrespect the game, especially when "most of them are Europeans or French." How about when he, when asked about Winnipeg Jets' assistant coach Alpo Suhonen, said he sounds like a type of dog food? What about when he called Ziggy Palffy a homophobic slur? What about in 2002 when he said "I've been trying to tell you for so long about the Russians. What kind of people they are and you just love them in Canada with your multiculturalism." Then he readdressed his comments and said "I don't regret it, I meant every word of it."

His hockey rhetoric was well past it's expiry date and I, along with many others, are more than happy to see him finally taken off the air.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Simply put, there are things that you can't say or do on TV without some backlash, what ultimately got him canned wasn't even close to the worst thing he said, it was merely the last in a long line of stupid shit. Cherry was paid to talk hockey, when he steered clear of that he usually made a fool of himself.

He's passionate, sure, but most certainly not on the mark. How about when he went to a Toronto City Council to support their crack smoking mayor? He wore a pink suit and blamed the "left wing pinkos" for all his problems, he even said "put that in your pipe and smoke it," which may be the most poorly aged one liner of all time. How about when he said that women can't enjoy hockey because they talk too much? What about when he said women reporters shouldn't be allowed to cover post-game interviews? What about in 2004 when he said that players who wear visors disrespect the game, especially when "most of them are Europeans or French." How about when he, when asked about Winnipeg Jets' assistant coach Alpo Suhonen, said he sounds like a type of dog food? What about when he called Ziggy Palffy a homophobic slur? What about in 2002 when he said "I've been trying to tell you for so long about the Russians. What kind of people they are and you just love them in Canada with your multiculturalism." Then he readdressed his comments and said "I don't regret it, I meant every word of it."

His hockey rhetoric was well past it's expiry date and I, along with many others, are more than happy to see him finally taken off the air.

Some people are not so easily offended and some are.
Moral relativism is a thing.
Anyways enjoy your day.:thumbu:

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
I hope not. What a failure. The most overrated coach of the 70s couldn't get it done without a powerhouse Bruins team recreates himself into a barking chickenhawk who drives thousands of kids to concussions just to make his mediocre brand of hockey relevant. He has been a tumour in Canadian hockey for decades. Let him fade into podcasting obscurity while his daughter milks the last few dollars from his sanity.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I grew up watching him on CBC so used to have a soft spot for him but Cherry wasn't relevant for years while he was still on the air. Why would he be now?

Reactions: majormajor

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad