Is Don Cherry Still Relevant?

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I think he's got a lot of historical points to give. I still think he's fine

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
No offense, but equating xenophobia with racism regarding Cherry is ridiculous. Guy is a massive homer for canada, our troops, players, teams and it doesn’t matter what race, religion or team you cheer for. If you’re “dat good ‘ol canadain boi” you’re all good in his eye. He’s 86, I wish him well the rest of his life.

Last edited by a moderator:

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
No offense, but equating xenophobia with racism regarding Cherry is ridiculous. Guy is a massive homer for canada, our troops, players, teams and it doesn’t matter what race, religion or team you cheer for. If you’re “dat good ‘ol canadain boi” you’re all good in his eye. He’s 86, I widh him well the rest of his life.
xenophobia isn't ok, either

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
I’m a minority and found him hilarious. I honestly couldn’t care less what everyone else thinks, he was entertainment and imo he delivered. Lol
Yeah, it's hilarious to physically hear his old man boner rise as he gushes about his "good ol' Ontario boys"...................

Where's the whiskey? I need another drink...

Asinine

yer opinion is wrong
Feb 28, 2013
It's not cancel culture, it's free market capitalism.

When people decide they don't like what's being offered, they're well within their rights to consume other content instead and to let the providers know that they aren't interested in what they're being presented.

Terrible take. It's right there in the name for you too. Cancel does not mean "right to consume other product" it means it was abolished and your right to consume it is gone entirely. It's not gone because people decided to consume other products and it got phased out.

Reactions: Nihiliste and Tweed

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
To not be on national television, broadcasting your ridiculous bias.

I don't see that as entertainment. In any way.
HNIC ratings went down when he left so people still found him entertaining at the time, in the tv world thats all that matters. I do feel that he could have retired a decade ago though, but some of the shit he said was funny so he gets a pass from me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
To not be on national television, broadcasting your ridiculous bias.

I don't see that as entertainment. In any way.

Relax, stop taking life so seriously. Old men have always been out of touch. They have lived on this earth a long time and have earned the right to not give an eff and say all kinds of things we consider goofy today.

Without him we would not have this.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
Unfortunately LCD stuff sells. That's what Cherry became. The entertainment was the comedy in laughing at an old man yelling at clouds.
His act wasn't necessarily intelligent, nor was there an undercurrent.

Last edited:

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
But often it's the LCD stuff that sells. That's what Cherry became. The entertainment was laughing at an old man yelling at clouds.

Yes, old people being out of touch, fragile and senile is very often hilarious.

Life would be boring without Grandpa Simpsons and his stories of yesteryear.

Reactions: Fixxer

Smokey McCanucks

PuckDaddy "Perfect HFBoard Trade Proposal 02/24/14
Dec 21, 2010
I miss Coaches Corner and Cherry, big time. So often during the playoffs I would see a defenceman get his stick in the shooting lane and tip the shot, I'd think "oh man Grapes is gonna have something to say about that" and then I'd remember, oh right.

People want to talk about "cancel culture" stuff but I think we all know the real story here is Sportsnet, those crooked Rogers bean counters looked at how much he was making and ginned up this publicity campaign with all the Toronto Star types who never watched or cared about Coaches Corner anyway, cause they can be dependably "outraged" or "offended" about anything like this, but the goal with Rogers is always the bottom line, he made more than any of the other analysts and they wanted him out. I still can't believe people sided with Rogers over Don Cherry, have fun paying your System Access Fees or whatever they call them now, Don Cherry was voted one of the ten greatest Canadians in history and Rogers, well we know what they are.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
HNIC ratings went down when he left so people still found him entertaining at the time, in the tv world thats all that matters. I feel that he should have retired a decade ago though.

i think it depends on your point of view. to take a totally neutral example, late night ratings went down when NBC chose leno to replace carson, instead of letterman. but starting in year two, they came back up and stayed there for fifteen years.

in the HNIC case, prioritizing points of view that on average resonate more with younger people, vs being terrified of alienating a point of view that tends to resonate more with old people probably makes longterm sense, ratings wise.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Terrible take. It's right there in the name for you too. Cancel does not mean "right to consume other product" it means it was abolished and your right to consume it is gone entirely. It's not gone because people decided to consume other products and it got phased out.

i'm still mad they abolished jonovision. my taxes paid for that talk show you fatcats.

tenor.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad