Is Don Cherry Still Relevant?

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I use to love the guy. Then I realized racism is a horrible thing (grew up in a racist family). He needs to continue to be IRRELEVANT

Last edited by a moderator:

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
i was at an NHL-sponsored fundraiser a year ago. a big thing free and open to fans with NHL players in attendance, basically a family event with a million kids in canucks pettersson jerseys running around. there's this one guy dressed up as don cherry, big funny suit with a comical shirt collar, drawn on stubble, dragging around a little stuffed terrier on a leash.

the way people looked at him and kept their distance, it was like he was wearing a red hat and open carrying an assault rifle. then again, this was in vancouver, not thunder bay.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
you can blame cancel culture, but like any great coach he was never leaving until they fired him.

It's not cancel culture, it's free market capitalism.

When people decide they don't like what's being offered, they're well within their rights to consume other content instead and to let the providers know that they aren't interested in what they're being presented.

NeverBeNormal

Mar 27, 2007
Nope, which is unfortunate. Man's done more good for hockey from grassroots all the way up than just about anyone. Just wish he didn't get fired for respecting our veterans too much. Judging from the way our ever popular 'leader' treats them it's not surprising it's a dwindling thing in Canada.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Nope, which is unfortunate. Man's done more good for hockey from grassroots all the way up than just about anyone. Just wish he didn't get fired for respecting our veterans too much. Judging from the way our ever popular 'leader' treats them it's not surprising it's a dwindling thing in Canada.
If he just said people should wear poppies pretty much nothing would have happened. He had to single out immigrants for some reason and he rightfully got fired, like 90% of employees would.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
His segment was pretty entertaining if you're not a hypersensitive person who gets offended easily by his comedy gimmicks or Tory politics. Mix of hockey analysis, hockey culture commentary, small town - old dominion Canadiana and some comedy schtick. Great storyteller too.

On the main point of his segment, actual hockey analysis, I thought he always had some interesting observations. Keen hockey mind who lived and breathed hockey for over half a century, and also bringing the pedigree of having both played and coached high level pro, I found he would bring up a lot of interesting angles you didn't get often on other hockey shows.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
It's not cancel culture, it's free market capitalism.

When people decide they don't like what's being offered, they're well within their rights to consume other content instead and to let the providers know that they aren't interested in what they're being presented.

fascinating.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
His segment was pretty entertaining if you're not a hypersensitive person who gets offended easily by his comedy gimmicks or Tory politics. Mix of hockey analysis, hockey culture commentary, small town - old dominion Canadiana and some comedy schtick. Great storyteller too.

On the main point of his segment, actual hockey analysis, I thought he always had some interesting observations. Keen hockey mind who lived and breathed hockey for over half a century, and also bringing the pedigree of having both played and coached high level pro, I found he would bring up a lot of interesting angles you didn't get often on other hockey shows.

Oh please.

His vaunted hockey analysis inevitably came down to 'needs more hits!' and 'needs more Canadian blood! in between pushing Kevin Bieksa for the Norris.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
For good or bad, Don Cherry is a cultural icon. He will always have some relevance. Do I like him? No. But he has had and still has influence. He still is closely associated with HNIC. His wardrobe is still iconic.

As I said, for good or bad, he is a cultural icon. Two or three generations grew up watching him on Saturday night. Love him or hate him, you wanted to know what he would say next. Less so in the last few years, but still. Look at the discussion here, he is still very polarizing. People who are completely irrelevant are not discussed as often as he is here.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Well clearly you didn't watch to much but have strong opinions anyway. In his segments he would go over a number of clips and make observations.

And spew them out in unintelligible ramblings. Player safety was pretty much the only thing he was relevant about. Constantly demanding dump-ins and criticizing playing through middle.... :facepalm:

Reactions: TB12

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad