Is Delaware North in bigger trouble than we thought?

08SeaBass08

Maybe next year.
Jul 8, 2010
Funkytown, Boogie Wonderland
I understand this would negatively effect the Bruins but the thought of Monty Burns ending up like Mortimer and Randell Duke from Trading Places fills my black heart with joy.
"It was the Dukes, it was the Dukes, it was the Dukes!" Easily my favorite Eddie Murphy movie. "Looking good, Billy Ray." "Feeling good, Louis!"

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
This year has been brutal on a multitude of levels for myself as it has so many people, I will not joke about personal loss or financial hardship for 99% of the worlds population, and I hold few people I do not know to the level of contempt that I do JJ, if he leaves and sells this team to local ownership that will be aware of more than financial statements regarding the team he can and roll around naked in gold, silver, bank notes and stocks for all I care.

Sell the team JJ, make a couple of generations of Bruins fans no longer able to use you as the punch line to every cheap joke ever told. Just go the **** away

EvilElf63

Mar 27, 2012
Catskills
Only took this long? Lmao.

You’re right. It’s all hypothetical at this point. I guess I’m just saying what could and would happen if the Bruins flounder. That vicious cycle that goes back to the owner not wanting to spend because his business is taking a hit.
Can we wait for him to not spend to the cap before we are mad at him for not spending to the cap?
Two years ago- one game away from it all. This year- more regular season wins than anyone.
I'm as disappointed in this off-season as anyone, but to say JJ is unwilling to do what it takes is simply ignoring recent success.
When he doesnt spend to the cap this is year, I will be mad at him. Until he does that I will withhold judgement.

08SeaBass08

Maybe next year.
Jul 8, 2010
Funkytown, Boogie Wonderland
Can we wait for him to not spend to the cap before we are mad at him for not spending to the cap?
Two years ago- one game away from it all. This year- more regular season wins than anyone.
I'm as disappointed in this off-season as anyone, but to say JJ is unwilling to do what it takes is simply ignoring recent success.
When he doesnt spend to the cap this is year, I will be mad at him. Until he does that I will withhold judgement.
It has nothing to do with not spending to the cap. It has everything to do with the man seeking to squeeze every possible nickel out of every possible situation. He's done that forever, so now that his empire is losing money, few can find it within themselves to feel compassion. He's not personally going broke, as is actually the case for millions, so it's easy to root against the guy.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Look at what the Hub on Causeway was in March

· Star Market | Boston largest urban grocery store with over 60,000 sq. ft.
· ArcLight Boston | Northeast’s first 15-screen ArcLight Cinema.
· Big Night Live| An intimate concert venue for 1,500 people.
· Guy Fieri’s Tequila Cocina | A 6,000 square foot Latin-American inspired restaurant.
· Banners Kitchen & Tap | An immersive two-story restaurant and bar featuring upscale tavern cuisine.
· Hub Hall |A food hall showcasing 18 local eateries and food vendors.
· ProShop powered by ’47 | The official team store of the Boston Bruins and Boston Celtics.
· citizenM hotel | A European inspired hotel with over 270 rooms, rooftop bar and lounge area.
· Hub50House | A residential tower including 440 luxury units in a 38-story tower.
· TD Garden expansion | A legendary transformation of the 24-year-old arena, with an additional 64,000 square feet of expansion spaces on floors 3-9.
· TD Garden & North Station Entrance | Over 10,000 square feet of outdoor space serves as the new entrance.
· North Station Garage Expansion | Over 500 new below-grade parking spaces that connect to the North Station garage.
· North Station pedestrian connector tunnel | A covered, underground connection from the commuter rail to the subway at North Station.
· Creative office space | Over 145,000 square feet, home to Rapid7’s world headquarters.

Phase III consists of a 31-story office tower with approximately 630,000 square feet. It is expected to be completed in 2021. Verizon is the anchor tenant with 17 floors of office space.

The concept has been crippled - TD Garden is closed, commuter rail is down 90% in ridership, the offices in the area are empty as everyone is working at home.

I worry about all the other businesses around North Station.

They actually didn't really cheap out on any of that stuff either.

Everything was on track to be full and getting top $$$ every night even when Celtics or Bruins weren't playing.

Downtown Boston will bounce back people will be bored of the suburbs quickly.

Whats hilarious is that they built all that stuff and didn't even run a late train out of North Station after midnight before COVID and poeple still filled it. The music place got very good EDM acts the Grand did too. I miss going to those.

Jeremy Jacobs selling the Bruins would be the best thing ever.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
In normal times, you'd probably be right.

Given the state of the world, I don't see people flocking back to the Garden anytime soon, and definitely not at the prices we've been paying. Even if they re-fill the STH list, they'll take a hit from where they are now as they'll have to significantly lower prices to get people back in, IMO.

Agree.

It will be awesome for those that aren't worried about covid. Cheap loges and maybe even beers under 10 bucks each. I live nice and close and can be in seats from my living room in 30 mins can't wait. :)

Reactions: PepeBostones

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Maybe the Jacob's Family could spinoff TD Garden and the bruins into their own separate entity and sell part of it to the Celtics?

Any deal that allows them to rake the new buyer over the coals as their tenant will absolutely interest the Jacobs.

He might sell the Bruins but still own the Garden and charge stupid rent making us poor.

But they didn't exactly just give the place a face lift theres a few empty towers attached and other stuff. No way they want to punt on all that at a massive loss.

Anyone who wants to buy the team at a high number keep him as a minority owner and pay them what they want in rent likely can have it. I'm sure he'd sell off NESN stake to someone else and basically make the deal as crappy for the buyer as possible.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Any deal that allows them to rake the new buyer over the coals as their tenant will absolutely interest the Jacobs.

He might sell the Bruins but still own the Garden and charge stupid rent making us poor.

But they didn't exactly just give the place a face lift theres a few empty towers attached and other stuff. No way they want to punt on all that at a massive loss.

Anyone who wants to buy the team at a high number keep him as a minority owner and pay them what they want in rent likely can have it. I'm sure he'd sell off NESN stake to someone else and basically make the deal as crappy for the buyer as possible.

I could see him selling TD Garden BUT he would demand control of concessions and parking. One major reason the Pats are worth so much is the Pats do the concessions in-house with no partner and parking is theirs.

DN was HOPING that English soccer would start allowing fans but now the UK is back in shutdown mode

The reality is for all of us there is no light at the end of the tunnel

DevotedSeriousButterfly-small.gif

Reactions: 4Orr

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
I could see him selling TD Garden BUT he would demand control of concessions and parking. One major reason the Pats are worth so much is the Pats do the concessions in-house with no partner and parking is theirs.

DN was HOPING that English soccer would start allowing fans but now the UK is back in shutdown mode

The reality is for all of us there is no light at the end of the tunnel

DevotedSeriousButterfly-small.gif

It’s not in shutdown mode here, just the city of Liverpool and a few select areas way up in the north near Scotland. That said, IMO it’s coming in a few week though. But then I am unsure how strict it will be and I have the feeling it won’t be as strict as March/July gauging by how they are handling those areas ATM and it will be short lived.

I don’t follow soccer...like at all, not even for a moment, but I believe it was the goal to have fans back in the stands by Oct. but that was nixed. Maybe that is what you meant? Aside from the few examples I gave, most of the UK is not on shutdown........

YET!

Reactions: BMC and Gordoff

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Couldn’t happen to a nicer guy. I wish he’d sell the team and go f*** off to upstate New York where we’d never have to endure is buffoonery again. And take his stuttering f*** nut, lucky-sperm son with him.
:laugh::thumbu:THIS ^^^ has ^^^ to ^^ be ^^^the ^^^ post ^^^ of ^^^the ^^^YEAR!:thumbu::laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: eightspokedb

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
It’s not in shutdown mode here, just the city of Liverpool and a few select areas way up in the north near Scotland. That said, IMO it’s coming in a few week though. But then I am unsure how strict it will be and I have the feeling it won’t be as strict as March/July gauging by how they are handling those areas ATM and it will be short lived.

I don’t follow soccer...like at all, not even for a moment, but I believe it was the goal to have fans back in the stands by Oct. but that was nixed. Maybe that is what you meant? Aside from the few examples I gave, most of the UK is not on shutdown........

YET!

I saw a report on NBC that implied bars in London were now closed - the reality is the US networks do a bad job covering news outside of the US.

Jacobs has concession deals with several stadiums in the UK - EMIRATES STADIUM, LONDON STADIUM, PRIDE PARK STADIUM, and WEMBLEY STADIUM - plus Heathrow and major train stations in London.

Reactions: 4Orr

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
I saw a report on NBC that implied bars in London were now closed - the reality is the US networks do a bad job covering news outside of the US.

Jacobs has concession deals with several stadiums in the UK - EMIRATES STADIUM, LONDON STADIUM, PRIDE PARK STADIUM, and WEMBLEY STADIUM - plus Heathrow and major train stations in London.
Nah, the bars are not closed. They have to close 1 hr earlier than normal but everything outside of Liverpool and a few areas up north is still wide open. There has been discussions of closing them but it hasn’t happened yet. They only instituted the curfew and closures in Liverpool yesterday at 10 PM.

I think they put in place some sort of food rule in the bars in the UK. People have to buy something more than FRENCH FRIES :sarcasm: to be able to drink in the bars. Something like that. Personally, I stopped going to bars back in early March when I started getting nervous about cv19 and watched the infection rates sky rocket on the continent.

But again, the shutdowns are coming. Bojo has had alot of resistance in the Labour Party over re-shutting down the UK, so they have been implementing these small measures over the last 2 weeks. But as history showed us back in March, it is only a matter of time before they have to protect medical infrastructure from being overwhelmed.

Reactions: Fenway

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

DN of course has a range of interests in Australia, but only a couple of hotels in Brisbane and the Sydney Cricket Ground, which is currently hosting football and rugby games with limited crowd numbers, will at present be making them any money at all here. Not good times for the Jacobs empire no matter where they look.

JR2p.gif

Reactions: Gordoff and BMC

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
In normal times, you'd probably be right.

Given the state of the world, I don't see people flocking back to the Garden anytime soon, and definitely not at the prices we've been paying. Even if they re-fill the STH list, they'll take a hit from where they are now as they'll have to significantly lower prices to get people back in, IMO.

@Kate08 - You are very savvy when it comes to business.

I posted earlier that 100 years ago the US and world bounced back from the 1918 pandemic but back then the concept of working remotely was science fiction. Downtown cores had to reenergize because there was no other option.

NOW - people freak out if there are 18 people in a subway car so selling the concept of 18,000 people packed like sardines will be a hard, hard sell.

Reactions: Kate08

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Nah, the bars are not closed. They have to close 1 hr earlier than normal but everything outside of Liverpool and a few areas up north is still wide open. There has been discussions of closing them but it hasn’t happened yet. They only instituted the curfew and closures in Liverpool yesterday at 10 PM.

I think they put in place some sort of food rule in the bars in the UK. People have to buy something more than FRENCH FRIES :sarcasm: to be able to drink in the bars. Something like that. Personally, I stopped going to bars back in early March when I started getting nervous about cv19 and watched the infection rates sky rocket on the continent.

But again, the shutdowns are coming. Bojo has had alot of resistance in the Labour Party over re-shutting down the UK, so they have been implementing these small measures over the last 2 weeks. But as history showed us back in March, it is only a matter of time before they have to protect medical infrastructure from being overwhelmed.

I have not seen a single story on Brexit in months

Jacobs father was in cahoots with the wiseguys and Jeremy has spent the past 50 years trying to clean that up and honestly, I believe he has done that.

BUT the core business was built on cash - people buying a hot dog and a beer.

That cash flow vanished last March

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
I have not seen a single story on Brexit in months

Jacobs father was in cahoots with the wiseguys and Jeremy has spent the past 50 years trying to clean that up and honestly, I believe he has done that.

BUT the core business was built on cash - people buying a hot dog and a beer.

That cash flow vanished last March

Yeah, Brexit is a failure, they are foolishly going in without a deal because they can not get one done. Is what it is.

Oh yeah, I believe I have had serious arguments years ago on here over people not believing that JJ was at one time connected to the wise guys. Mostly through his father’s corrupted hey days but it didn’t end when he died either. But everyone should remember DN’s money originally comes from Emprise and Sportservice.

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
I saw a report on NBC that implied bars in London were now closed - the reality is the US networks do a bad job covering news outside of the US..

I have to update this as some new news broke earlier this evening. One, I was wrong about one thing, parts of the UK are shutdown but not London. Apparently, Scotland closed all the bars last week as did Brit occupied Ireland, along with those areas I mentioned above. I was not aware Scotland and NI shutdown last week. (Honestly, I couldn’t live any further from Scotland or NI, I am pretty far to the South). So, the news you heard was “mostly” correct about the UK except London is still open.

However, the govt.. just made an announcement that London and most of England have been elevated to tier 2 which means, get ready for full closures again with the bars and restaurants shutting down. Personally for my wife and I, none of this effects us as we do not live near any hotspots. Currently, it’s a hodge podge of some restrictions and some shutdowns all over the country but as of this moment, most of the country is open. With the news of most of the country entering tier 2, like I said, the shutdown is coming. I give it a week or two.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
If this means Jacobs finally sells the team to someone who cares about winning and not just playoff gates, then so be it and I hope the door doesn't hit Jacobs on the ass as he recoups his losses. If not, boy oh boy the Bruins are in for some lean years thanks to this pandemic. I mean so is everyone else, but the Bruins' ownership has appeared to been particularly hard by this one.

Reactions: Gordoff

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
If this means Jacobs finally sells the team to someone who cares about winning and not just playoff gates, then so be it and I hope the door doesn't hit Jacobs on the ass as he recoups his losses. If not, boy oh boy the Bruins are in for some lean years thanks to this pandemic. I mean so is everyone else, but the Bruins' ownership has appeared to been particularly hard by this one.

Delaware North is a business that can not transition to online - it is as simple as that

Reactions: EvilDead

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
:help:

Thinking bruins are making some tough decisions ... immediate and distant future. Too much uncertainty with the vid, Jacobs, impact players out with surgeries, and older impact players reaching term etc...

As a bruin fan it's worrisome.

Reactions: Gordoff

the negotiator

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
:help:

Thinking bruins are making some tough decisions ... immediate and distant future. Too much uncertainty with the vid, Jacobs, impact players out with surgeries, and older impact players reaching term etc...

As a bruin fan it's worrisome.

The combination of topics you mention is going to put a huge amount of stress on the organization both on and off the ice. It used to be as long as the on ice product was good off ice management could be weak and people would still come .

That has all changed-the Bs are going to need to become much more customer service focused ...in all the years I have been a fan I have rarely if ever seen an emphasis on fan relations, it's not an organizational core competency.

Interesting times are coming to Causeway Street and I am not optimistic the organization is up to the task.

Reactions: Blowfish

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
The combination of topics you mention is going to put a huge amount of stress on the organization both on and off the ice. It used to be as long as the on ice product was good off ice management could be weak and people would still come .

That has all changed-the Bs are going to need to become much more customer service focused ...in all the years I have been a fan I have rarely if ever seen an emphasis on fan relations, it's not an organizational core competency.

Interesting times are coming to Causeway Street and I am not optimistic the organization is up to the task.

Agreed.

Bruins will be more prudent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad