Is Delaware North in bigger trouble than we thought?

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
Delaware North is a business that can not transition to online - it is as simple as that

Could they prepackage concessions to be shipped to my house each game day? A couple of pizzas, some wings, case of beer ... about 30 minutes before game time it's all delivered to my door; all part of a season package. Just go online and preorder for each game. ... just a thought.

Reactions: bbfan419

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
Could they prepackage concessions to be shipped to my house each game day? A couple of pizzas, some wings, case of beer ... about 30 minutes before game time it's all delivered to my door; all part of a season package. Just go online and preorder for each game. ... just a thought.

No home cooked meatballs?

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
No home cooked meatballs?
Do they sell insurance? Seems like every other company on the planet does that now.

Could package. New car policy with 50% off a hot dog. Could even mail them in the same envelope.

How awesome would it be to get an insurance slip smelling like a hot dog! No one would lose that thing! (FYI used to make insurance slips for people all damn day).

Reactions: Gordoff

MrMars

May 26, 2006
Some food for thought, NBA had agreed to start the new season on Dec 22, supposedly all the TD garden employees are furloughed and they cannot even access the building. Going to assume will be some preseason games before the 22nd, so we are roughly a month away from TD Garden having to open again. They obviously will not be any fans and the NHL seems like it will be much later then that. I recall the Celtics deal with the garden is paid with concessions and premium ticket sales, which will end up being $0 to start. Does Jacobs have to fund reopening and hire everyone back on his dime and not get anything from the Celtics? I am sure he will not be very happy about that! Just a random thought I had today.

Reactions: Gordoff and BMC

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Some food for thought, NBA had agreed to start the new season on Dec 22, supposedly all the TD garden employees are furloughed and they cannot even access the building. Going to assume will be some preseason games before the 22nd, so we are roughly a month away from TD Garden having to open again. They obviously will not be any fans and the NHL seems like it will be much later then that. I recall the Celtics deal with the garden is paid with concessions and premium ticket sales, which will end up being $0 to start. Does Jacobs have to fund reopening and hire everyone back on his dime and not get anything from the Celtics? I am sure he will not be very happy about that! Just a random thought I had today.

interesting indeed.

i would HOPE that all parties involved can operate and negotiate in good faith. I don’t have a ton of confidence in that, since so much money is involved, but that’s my hope anyway.

i can say that I’ve heard absolutely NOTHING about what a possible return to work would look like for me in concessions. No dates, policy/procedure, safety precautions, changes to literally everything that i assume will be coming...nothing. I don’t think it’s on the radar whatsoever.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
interesting indeed.

i would HOPE that all parties involved can operate and negotiate in good faith. I don’t have a ton of confidence in that, since so much money is involved, but that’s my hope anyway.

i can say that I’ve heard absolutely NOTHING about what a possible return to work would look like for me in concessions. No dates, policy/procedure, safety precautions, changes to literally everything that i assume will be coming...nothing. I don’t think it’s on the radar whatsoever.

With things ramping up again I dont see TD getting permission to open this season. I’d be shocked. Just my opinion.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
With things ramping up again I dont see TD getting permission to open this season. I’d be shocked. Just my opinion.

A few months ago I was thinking maybe spring of 2021 in a limited capacity. Now that we are somehow in a worse spot than ever, forget that.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Yikers...he isn't alone however as a bruin fan yes this has me a little concerned.

Maybe he'll sell the Bruins and we'll all be happy.

Though on one hand, this has likely effected the Bruins bottom line in negative fashion. On the other, it couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

simpsoons-e1431683223706-1024x640.jpg

Olden McGroin

Aug 1, 2009
I could see Fenway Sports Group buying the Bruins just so they can buy out their 10% of NESN and then flip the network to a major media group for net profit.

But in terms of on-ice product, a John Henry/Tom Werner led Bruins would be a clusterf*** of massive proportions.

I also believe there are some rules about NFL owners not being allowed to own franchises in other sports. But that can be a shell game, I think Kroenke transferred his interest in the Avs to one of his daughters or something when he bought the Rams, but might as well be the de facto owner. Bob can have Jonathan or one of the other kids officially own the Bruins and run it from Patriot Place.

I've heard that as well. The exception is if the teams are based in the same city, i.e. the Pegulas own both the Sabres and Bills. So Kraft would be able to buy the Bruins (or the Celtics or the Red Sox) and not break any NFL ownership rules.

Edit: as of 2018, the NFL has allowed cross ownership in the other 3 major pro sports leagues

Last edited:

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch

I agree - I don't really see the regular season for NBA/NHL happening in Boston in front of fans. Post season in a limited capacity? Doubtful, but more plausible depending on the city (Boston on the bottom of the list) and the time.

I imagine they'd have to figure out some way to literally open up the Garden if the NBA season started. Granted, it wouldn't involve many of the workers - ie concessions, ticketing, etc. But some basic staff I imagine would be necessary, and would have to get paid.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
The rangers where apparently scouting Hartford as a option if MSG could not reopen. The Celtics and Bruins might have a decent amount of alternative's if TD garden becomes a impossibility. Manchester for example has a decent sized arena that has no main tenant.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
The rangers where apparently scouting Hartford as a option if MSG could not reopen. The Celtics and Bruins might have a decent amount of alternative's if TD garden becomes a impossibility. Manchester for example has a decent sized arena that has no main tenant.

The NHL is pretty finicky with their TV presentation. I remember during the pre-bubble period when they thought the regular season might be played, they were pretty explicit that there were (at most) 31 options on the table - NO non-NHL sites were being seriously considered. For example, Warrior has a great rink, and probably better ice than the Garden. But there's also a giant net that would block most camera views. AHL sites (and some college sites) are probably better than that, but it's easier to use the infrastructure that they already have.

Of course, if they play in a pseudo-bubble style, they could just pick 4-8 hubs, and cross Boston (and probably at least NY/NJ and a bunch of others) off the list. And if they can't use TD Garden for basketball because of problems with furlough/opening, college basketball is a ready-for-TV sport - they'll find somewhere. College hockey doesn't have quite the same TV coverage.

Reactions: Centrum Hockey

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I agree - I don't really see the regular season for NBA/NHL happening in Boston in front of fans. Post season in a limited capacity? Doubtful, but more plausible depending on the city (Boston on the bottom of the list) and the time.

I imagine they'd have to figure out some way to literally open up the Garden if the NBA season started. Granted, it wouldn't involve many of the workers - ie concessions, ticketing, etc. But some basic staff I imagine would be necessary, and would have to get paid.

I don't see fans returning in Boston until October 2021 and the same goes for Manhattan.

The second wave is here and it is getting worse but with the majority of people wearings masks at least we are not seeing a dramatic spike with hospitals as we saw in the spring.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Forbes today released their 2021 Billionaire list and Papa Jacobs and family have had a tough year

Forbes Billionaires 2021: The Richest People in the World

View attachment 418387

That's pretty brutal, and a trend that set in well before Covid. Much as we plebs might snicker at Jacobs now being worth 'only' $2.5 billion, to have nearly half your net wealth wiped out in the space of 3 years is not a good place for the Jacobs family to be in, especially when their primary business has been crippled by a pandemic and has a long, slow and uncertain way back ahead to anything approaching normalcy. They're in a rough spot, and normally when a company's in a downward spiral like this, selling some of your assets to try and reinject some liquid cash is the way to go. A sports team would be a good option for that purpose, but I know the family has an enormous amount of pride in owning the Bruins, so I'm not sure whether they could bear to do it, pardon the pun.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
That's pretty brutal, and a trend that set in well before Covid. Much as we plebs might snicker at Jacobs now being worth 'only' $2.5 billion, to have nearly half your net wealth wiped out in the space of 3 years is not a good place for the Jacobs family to be in, especially when their primary business has been crippled by a pandemic and has a long, slow and uncertain way back ahead to anything approaching normalcy. They're in a rough spot, and normally when a company's in a downward spiral like this, selling some of your assets to try and reinject some liquid cash is the way to go. A sports team would be a good option for that purpose, but I know the family has an enormous amount of pride in owning the Bruins, so I'm not sure whether they could bear to do it, pardon the pun.

The Jacobs appeared to have hit a grand slam homer when after 20 years of sitting on the land the old Garden was located went big with 'The Hub on Causeway' which was a huge development including retail, entertainment, hotels, apartments and offices.

That entire project counted on the usual foot traffic at North Station which has vanished.

My fear is they will sell to John Henry (Fenway Sports Group) who appears to be flush in cash.

Reactions: BMC

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
The Jacobs appeared to have hit a grand slam homer when after 20 years of sitting on the land the old Garden was located went big with 'The Hub on Causeway' which was a huge development including retail, entertainment, hotels, apartments and offices.

That entire project counted on the usual foot traffic at North Station which has vanished.

My fear is they will sell to John Henry (Fenway Sports Group) who appears to be flush in cash.
What would you like to see happen without constraints

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

My brother lives in the UK and is a supporter of Liverpool FC, which Henry has also owned since 2010. It's interesting to contrast his reputation in Liverpool compared to Boston. It's much more favorable - built largely on the back of his having turned around a club that was in a real rut and significant financial trouble and making moves that were critical in helping the team achieve its first Premier League title in 30 years, and a 6th Champions League crown. It hasn't all been smooth sailing, but he's well-regarded for turning the organization back into a success story and restoring its pride.

Obviously with the Red Sox the ride has been much more turbulent. My first concern from afar if Henry were to acquire the Bruins would be that he wouldn't take them seriously and they'd be an afterthought in the shadows of his much bigger sporting assets.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad