Is Delaware North in bigger trouble than we thought?

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
And you thought the 80s/90s Bruins were cheap... the Kraft regime has been notoriously stingy with signings of players that deserve money. I don't know how much of that is Kraft or Bill, but it may not be a good choice.
Belichick would rather move on too early than too late the vast majority of the time. He wants cheap players with a deep set of redundancy built into the roster. It seems to have worked for the last 20+ years so I don't consider it a knock against him. Shrewed roster & cap management is a good thing, even if it pulls on our heartstrings a bit when we move on from fan favorites.

Reactions: 4Orr

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Look at what the Hub on Causeway was in March

· Star Market | Boston largest urban grocery store with over 60,000 sq. ft.
· ArcLight Boston | Northeast’s first 15-screen ArcLight Cinema.
· Big Night Live| An intimate concert venue for 1,500 people.
· Guy Fieri’s Tequila Cocina | A 6,000 square foot Latin-American inspired restaurant.
· Banners Kitchen & Tap | An immersive two-story restaurant and bar featuring upscale tavern cuisine.
· Hub Hall |A food hall showcasing 18 local eateries and food vendors.
· ProShop powered by ’47 | The official team store of the Boston Bruins and Boston Celtics.
· citizenM hotel | A European inspired hotel with over 270 rooms, rooftop bar and lounge area.
· Hub50House | A residential tower including 440 luxury units in a 38-story tower.
· TD Garden expansion | A legendary transformation of the 24-year-old arena, with an additional 64,000 square feet of expansion spaces on floors 3-9.
· TD Garden & North Station Entrance | Over 10,000 square feet of outdoor space serves as the new entrance.
· North Station Garage Expansion | Over 500 new below-grade parking spaces that connect to the North Station garage.
· North Station pedestrian connector tunnel | A covered, underground connection from the commuter rail to the subway at North Station.
· Creative office space | Over 145,000 square feet, home to Rapid7’s world headquarters.

Phase III consists of a 31-story office tower with approximately 630,000 square feet. It is expected to be completed in 2021. Verizon is the anchor tenant with 17 floors of office space.

The concept has been crippled - TD Garden is closed, commuter rail is down 90% in ridership, the offices in the area are empty as everyone is working at home.

I worry about all the other businesses around North Station.

And we're all worried about the Bruins 2nd line wingers.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
How much longer are they going to keep charging people for a season that isn't going to happen with any level of normalcy, if there are fans at all? It's really comical at this point.

the negotiator

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
How much longer are they going to keep charging people for a season that isn't going to happen with any level of normalcy, if there are fans at all? It's really comical at this point.

Kate

They have two more installments ( Nov and Dec) left to charge and you can be sure they will. The cash flow is just too great - assume 14,000 STH at an average of $110/ seat times 44 games - and they get to sit on a major pile of money

In January the piper comes due- we will be completely paid up for what is a totally undefined season. My guess is they will want to move the money to the 21-22 season and will come up with a "deal" where you get to keep your seats if you agree and all refunds come with a waiver of future STH use. Neither a good nor smart strategy but one I expect to see.

Reactions: Gordoff

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Kate

They have two more installments ( Nov and Dec) left to charge and you can be sure they will. The cash flow is just too great - assume 14,000 STH at an average of $110/ seat times 44 games - and they get to sit on a major pile of money

In January the piper comes due- we will be completely paid up for what is a totally undefined season. My guess is they will want to move the money to the 21-22 season and will come up with a "deal" where you get to keep your seats if you agree and all refunds come with a waiver of future STH use. Neither a good nor smart strategy but one I expect to see.

I wouldn't be surprised.

We're out, though. I have no desire to continue as a STH at this point.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
The obvious buyer would be the Celtics

A long shot could be Jacobs and the Tampa owner swapping franchises with Jacobs getting a lot of cash.

Jeffrey N. Vinik (born March 22, 1959) is the current owner of the Tampa Bay Lightning (NHL) and a minority owner of the Boston Red Sox (MLB)

Vinik knows real estate and obviously runs a solid hockey operation.

Vinik still maintains Boston roots He is also tight with Michael Gordon who is the very silent but powerful leader of Fenway Sports Group.

What I am 100% certain of - Jacobs will do whatever he can to save the Buffalo part of the business.
Could not agree more with the bolded. Buffalo is where it's at. And fair play, there's nothing wrong with having a solid commitment to a community.

Interesting idea on the Vinik front. Just a quick hop to Tampa from WPalm.

Reactions: Gordoff

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
You would imagine someone so wealthy would have enough liquid assets on hand to survive even a year of loss.

Does Jacobs have every penny to his name invested in into his various businesses for further profit?

This is one hell of a time to own what he does, everything is a loss I imagine... even so...

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I have heard from several STH's that Jacobs hit their cards overnight
That's baffling to me. Clearly there will be no games played before January at this point. How can you charge people for something that won't happen?

I know....Jacobs.

But still.

Reactions: Gordoff and BMC

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Could not agree more with the bolded. Buffalo is where it's at. And fair play, there's nothing wrong with having a solid commitment to a community.

Interesting idea on the Vinik front. Just a quick hop to Tampa from WPalm.

Jacobs is fiercely loyal to WNY - He could have easily moved DN HQ's to a more favorable tax state than New York.

Vinik has done well in Tampa but he might relish the challenge that Boston brings. He is close to Jacobs and only bought Tampa after Jacobs told him the Bruins were not for sale.

Amalie Arena | NHL Tampa Bay Lightning | Delaware North

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
I wouldn't be surprised.

We're out, though. I have no desire to continue as a STH at this point.

Zero chance you're alone there. I'm guessing, barring some absolute miracle, the season ticket holder base will drop below 10k after next year, with heavy losses in the high margin club and suite levels, and no more wait list.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
You would imagine someone so wealthy would have enough liquid assets on hand to survive even a year of loss.

Does Jacobs have every penny to his name invested in into his various businesses for further profit?

This is one hell of a time to own what he does, everything is a loss I imagine... even so...

Couldn’t happen to a nicer guy. I wish he’d sell the team and go f*** off to upstate New York where we’d never have to endure is buffoonery again. And take his stuttering f*** nut, lucky-sperm son with him.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

The business from the day his father started it depended on cash flow coming in. He has taken hits from the NHL lost season, strikes in MLB and the NFL but there was always cash coming in from somewhere - and suddenly it stopped.

Disney has been hammered by this but they are still getting subscriber fees from ESPN and Disney+ turned into a gold mine.

Madison Sq Garden is also hurting

A Message from Madison Square Garden Concerning Covid-19

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
That's baffling to me. Clearly there will be no games played before January at this point. How can you charge people for something that won't happen?

I know....Jacobs.

But still.

Because at the end of the day, there’s plenty of people out there that would take the place of someone who doesn’t want to pay. So they don’t care.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Because at the end of the day, there’s plenty of people out there that would take the place of someone who doesn’t want to pay. So they don’t care.

In normal times, you'd probably be right.

Given the state of the world, I don't see people flocking back to the Garden anytime soon, and definitely not at the prices we've been paying. Even if they re-fill the STH list, they'll take a hit from where they are now as they'll have to significantly lower prices to get people back in, IMO.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
In normal times, you'd probably be right.

Given the state of the world, I don't see people flocking back to the Garden anytime soon, and definitely not at the prices we've been paying. Even if they re-fill the STH list, they'll take a hit from where they are now as they'll have to significantly lower prices to get people back in, IMO.

@Kate08 People are afraid to dine in or take the subway. It might be YEARS before we see this again.

EM-IsRzW4AAfbOp

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Preds aren't charging STH at all for November. @Fenway -- Aren't their concessions part of Delaware North?

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Yes. Are you serious? That’s the point of owning a sports team. If you can’t handle it or afford it, sell and go find another expensive hobby.

Not going to lie, you trying to stand up
For a rich bastard like Jacobs is comical. The guy is an asshole.

Your reading comprehension seems to be lacking.

Nowhere did "stand up for" Jacobs.

Your quote: "Put a product on the ice that’s worth watching "

And again I will respond, are you serious? You don't think they put a product on the ice worth watching? Then why are you watching?

Reactions: Richard Lather

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
The obvious buyer would be the Celtics

A long shot could be Jacobs and the Tampa owner swapping franchises with Jacobs getting a lot of cash.

Jeffrey N. Vinik (born March 22, 1959) is the current owner of the Tampa Bay Lightning (NHL) and a minority owner of the Boston Red Sox (MLB)

Vinik knows real estate and obviously runs a solid hockey operation.

Vinik still maintains Boston roots He is also tight with Michael Gordon who is the very silent but powerful leader of Fenway Sports Group.

What I am 100% certain of - Jacobs will do whatever he can to save the Buffalo part of the business.
Maybe the Jacob's Family could spinoff TD Garden and the bruins into their own separate entity and sell part of it to the Celtics?

Last edited:
Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad