Is Crosby still number 1?

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
Personally havent considered him number 1 since like 2013 lol. Reminds me so much Conor Mcregor where marketing drives up his value. NBC , CBC, and TSN were on his junk for so long it was annoying. Just like Mcgregor aint no Khabib, Crosby aint no Steve Yzerman.

DrewGl

Jul 28, 2018
Alexandria, VA
Crosby will remain valuable for a long time. However, he offers less entertainment value than McDavid.

IMO he's never been super entertaining. He has great hockey smarts and makes some amazing assists but his "dirty" goals are never awe inspiring. Flashy goals = entertainment for most.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
If you could add one player to your team for the playoffs I think it would have to be Crosby. Throw him out there with a couple grinders and you have an awesome scoring/checking line. He does so much of the dirty work and plays well with average wingers. McDavid is the best player in the world, but in crunch time I would go with Crosby.

Last edited:

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
I would say McDavid became the best player in the world in the second half of last season. Right now, he is a better player than he has ever been, unfortunately he is anchored to the Titanic unless the Oilers wake up and start playing better hockey.

Reactions: Facifer

Nadal On Clay

Djokovic > Nadal > Federer
Oct 11, 2017
Personally havent considered him number 1 since like 2013 lol. Reminds me so much Conor Mcregor where marketing drives up his value. NBC , CBC, and TSN were on his junk for so long it was annoying. Just like Mcgregor aint no Khabib, Crosby aint no Steve Yzerman.

Whoof. Everyone is entitled to his opinion.... but whoof

Reactions: Goku

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
The only time I've ever heard anyone mention Crosby's defense as being Bergeron level is by poster like you who say the bolded stuff to make a point.

No actual fan of Crosby's thinks his defense is on Bergeron's level, nor do they ever mention Bergeron when describing Crosby's defensive play.

You dont remember legitimate arguments from fans saying Crosby should win a Selke because of his elite offense in combination of defense? Because I clearly remember posters making that a discussion.

Brucelenok

Aug 9, 2016
Crosby slowly becomes a little bit overrated. He is not the best player already for 1.5 seasons... Grace period at its' best. Whenever Ovechkin performs bad, he is not making even in Top 10 players list. I would say even this - He is not the best player on his own team right now, neither last season as well. It has been Malkin so far.

Reactions: DickSmehlik

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
You dont remember legitimate arguments from fans saying Crosby should win a Selke because of his elite offense in combination of defense? Because I clearly remember posters making that a discussion.

No I don't. Are we talking about posts, plural? Or like maybe someone like daver tossing that out there in a random thread about the Selke? Because most Crosby topics that discuss his defense, the majority of Crosby/Pens fans simply believe he's "good" defensively. But there's no comparison to Bergeron or anything like that.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Not sure if post is serious

Hart trophy + 3 second place finishes
Two Lindsays
Two smythes
Art Ross
Richard

But all hype

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Crosby looks like a shell of his former self. Current Kessel>Current Crosby

6Ns.gif

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
No. He hasn't been for years.

The fact that it is debated every year means that there is a substantial amount of people who do not think he is the best.

He is an 80-90 point player with average defense (some on here act like he is Bergeron defensively). He is excellent, a top-5 player in the NHL but #1? No.

Except the debate has been Crosby vs. ___________ (insert a number of different players) not one player consistently since 2010.

He was the best player in 16/17 so "for years" is laughable.

As many have said, you would be a fool to not put him first on your team for a playoff run.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
No I don't. Are we talking about posts, plural? Or like maybe someone like daver tossing that out there in a random thread about the Selke? Because most Crosby topics that discuss his defense, the majority of Crosby/Pens fans simply believe he's "good" defensively. But there's no comparison to Bergeron or anything like that.

Maybe I am not remembering it correctly. If that is not the case, I stand corrected. I could have sworn there was a thread related to it though...

When I say he is average defensively, I mean average for what a 1C should bring to the table. A 1C should be able to take important draws, get tough minutes, defensive zone starts, etc. He does that. But a lot of other 1Cs can bring that to the table too. Just not with the level of offense Crosby is capable to bring to the table.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
I still have Crosby #1. But I also think he's a better player the last three years than he was from 2011-2014. Might not be as dominantly offensively but does everything now and doesn't lose his cool. I think both the Philly series and the Bruins series smartened him up and he became such a mature player. I take him over any player in the NHL.

I'd still probably take Malkin, Bergeron, Kopitar and Getzlaf over the young crop also. They'd probably be my top 6 with Getz possibly battling a few other guys to stay in that group.
There's a difference between putting up points, being exciting, and doing everything well to win a hockey game.

Reactions: shello

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014

I’m struggling to think of two more different professional athletes ever.

Last edited:

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Except the debate has been Crosby vs. ___________ (insert a number of different players) not one player consistently since 2010.

He was the best player in 16/17 so "for years" is laughable.

As many have said, you would be a fool to not put him first on your team for a playoff run.

It could have been Crosby vs Malkin, vs Kane, vs McDavid, vs Ovechkin, etc. Over the last 10+ years.

He had a long run as an undisputed number one. I dont think he has been an undisputed number one for years, because, well, it's been disputed.

Me claiming he is a top-5 player is a conservative rank. In any given year, outside of last year, he is typically one of the three best players in the league and his consistency makes him the best player of the decade.

But I absolutely and firmly believe his rank as number one has been disputed for years now.

Three On Zero

HF Customer Service Representative
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
In a game or series that matters you take Crosby, he is still the all around better player.McDavid is certainly trying to make a case for himself though

Reactions: BeSeeingYouSeattle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad