Is Crosby still number 1?

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Except the debate has been Crosby vs. ___________ (insert a number of different players) not one player consistently since 2010.

He was the best player in 16/17 so "for years" is laughable.

As many have said, you would be a fool to not put him first on your team for a playoff run.
he wasnt though

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
It’s pretty unfair to hold that against McDavid. He plays on a trash team and has virtually no help.

It's not that. I get that. McDavid is amazing. His skating is unbelievable. I'd just take Crosby right now as I think he brings more to the table. I think McD is the most talented player in the league but for impact on the game and whom I'd like out there to win - I'd probably pick Crosby, Bergeron, Malkin, Kopitar - in that order. No slight on McDavid as I do think he's amazing but just think that a bit more experience kinda puts these guys above him at the moment.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Imagine if Ovi had that turnover that lead to the Caps game winner by Kuzy in the game 6 last year...Holy hell.

Imagine if prime Crosby put up 65 points in a season and didn't bother to backcheck every shift... Holy hell

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Personally havent considered him number 1 since like 2013 lol. Reminds me so much Conor Mcregor where marketing drives up his value. NBC , CBC, and TSN were on his junk for so long it was annoying. Just like Mcgregor aint no Khabib, Crosby aint no Steve Yzerman.

Who was better when Crosby won the Art Ross by what, 17 points in 2014 despite playing the last month with a broken wrist?

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
It’s pretty unfair to hold that against McDavid. He plays on a trash team and has virtually no help.

Both Crosby and Ovechkin have played on worse teams than McDavid.

First few seasons both Crosby and Malkin were playing with 3rd and 4th line plugs as linemates. Look at the roster the year they lost in the finals to Detroit...

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
he wasnt though

He had basically the same ppg as McDavid, more goals, was best player in the playoffs and didn’t play with anybody as effective offensively and especially defensively as Draisaitl. McDavid passed him last season.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Crosby will remain valuable for a long time. However, he offers less entertainment value than McDavid.

If we are talking entertainment value Crosby has been number one once for about 41 games in 2010. He is a pretty boring superstar.

There are about 20 guys I would pay to see before we get to Crosby.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Idk anymore with guys like Matthews and Mcdvaid ripping apart the league offensively, do you still think there is a case to be made to say Crosby is still the best ALL AROUND player?
When you realize he never was it's not that hard on you.

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
In terms of physical ability, talent, etc. -- nope

When you factor in stuff like leadership, etc., he's probably still number one, at least till McDavid et all have deep playoff runs, preferably ending with a cup win.

bobbyking

May 29, 2018
Personally havent considered him number 1 since like 2013 lol. Reminds me so much Conor Mcregor where marketing drives up his value. NBC , CBC, and TSN were on his junk for so long it was annoying. Just like Mcgregor aint no Khabib, Crosby aint no Steve Yzerman.
Well yeah he's no yzerman because hes significantly better than Steve

Last edited:

bobbyking

May 29, 2018
I still have Crosby #1. But I also think he's a better player the last three years than he was from 2011-2014. Might not be as dominantly offensively but does everything now and doesn't lose his cool. I think both the Philly series and the Bruins series smartened him up and he became such a mature player. I take him over any player in the NHL.

I'd still probably take Malkin, Bergeron, Kopitar and Getzlaf over the young crop also. They'd probably be my top 6 with Getz possibly battling a few other guys to stay in that group.
There's a difference between putting up points, being exciting, and doing everything well to win a hockey game.
Saying he's better now then 2011 -2014 maybe the dumbest thing ever written on this site

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
You can debate all you like but there isn't a single player in the NHL I would take over him for a playoff run. At worst, he's #2.

That said, there's a lot of dumb in this thread and I expect quite a bit more.

No, but you'd think that by his last disappearing act in the playoffs. Let's wait until Matthews does something, literally anything, before we say he's better than Sid. The guy has accomplished jack-all in his career, outside of a 5 game hotstreak to start the season, and now he's being compared with a top 5 player of all time? Give me a break...

As a Matthews fan, I have to agree with this. I do think it will be him and MsDavid going forward, but he needs to stay healthy this year, and dominate for 82 games.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
You have to be new to hockey to say Matthews is anywhere near Crosby.

Career resume, 100%, it's laughable.

This year (and last if he didn't get hurt) I would say he is near that level (especially this year if he stays healthy)

BUT I still pick Sid over any player in a playoff series today, hands down.

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Crosby has been number one for a long time, but it’s McDavid now. If I’m putting together 1 team for 1 year to win the cup, picking whoever I want, it starts with him. I understand the intangibles but give me the raw insane ability first. I’ll take Crosby 2nd, and he’ll be taken the draw in the last minute of the game, but there’s 59 minutes before that.

21y old Crosby vs 21y old McDavid, Crosby.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad