Is Crosby still number 1?

Thelegend81

Jun 28, 2017
Idk anymore with guys like Matthews and Mcdvaid ripping apart the league offensively, do you still think there is a case to be made to say Crosby is still the best ALL AROUND player?

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
No. He hasn't been for years.

The fact that it is debated every year means that there is a substantial amount of people who do not think he is the best.

He is an 80-90 point player with average defense (some on here act like he is Bergeron defensively). He is excellent, a top-5 player in the NHL but #1? No.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
I don't expect him to outscore Mcdavid but there's still no one i'd rather have going into a playoff series. He's still capable of playing at an otherworldly level (21 points in 12 games last playoffs), but at age 31 he doesn't have the stamina he used to for that level of play all season.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh

The fact that it is debated every year means that there is a substantial amount of people who do not think he is the best.

He is an 80-90 point player with average defense (some on here act like he is Bergeron defensively). He is excellent, a top-5 player in the NHL but #1? No.
I can see arguments for him not being number 1 but saying he's not even in the top 5 is being intentionally obtuse

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Anyone have the patience to go through all of my old posts where I continuously say Tavares is a top 5 player every year since he came into the NHL? He is proving it now with actual talent around him. Zero reason he shouldnt be in the dynasty conversation with Crosby, Malkin, Toews, and Kane if the Isles gave him anything to work with.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies

You are certainly entitled to your opinion of course but saying this is out and out ludicrous in my mind.

I would call him #2 at this time behind McDavid.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

The only time I've ever heard anyone mention Crosby's defense as being Bergeron level is by poster like you who say the bolded stuff to make a point.

No actual fan of Crosby's thinks his defense is on Bergeron's level, nor do they ever mention Bergeron when describing Crosby's defensive play.

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
Anyone have the patience to go through all of my old posts where I continuously say Tavares is a top 5 player every year since he came into the NHL? He is proving it now with actual talent around him. Zero reason he shouldnt be in the dynasty conversation with Crosby, Malkin, Toews, and Kane if the Isles gave him anything to work with.
The thread is that way my friend~>

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
At this point I would say it's clearly McDavid. I was more than willing to give Crosby the benefit of the doubt 2 years ago when he won the cup and Conn Smythe but McDavid has separated himself last year.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Crosby was a force every night from the get go. But he sees the season in a different light now. It is really about saving himself for the playoffs and winning cups. He took the summer off in order for him to refresh and allow for his body and minds to take it easy and relax. His game is still really good but the night in night out take over the game is no longer his priority. Sully will keep his minutes down as well. He is very competitive but will turn it up when appropriate.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
McDavid is the better player but if you asked me who I would take over an 82 game season and playoffs, I would take Crosby.

Won't be that way for much longer though.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Crosby will remain valuable for a long time. However, he offers less entertainment value than McDavid.

Reactions: shello

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
If you want to talk about best overall in the scope of the entire game of hockey from end board to end board. Crosby is still the best. I think he will be involved in one or two more dead heat scoring races before he hangs them up. With his die on the ice sheer will additude towards hockey he will put up at least another race or two. But youthful players are going to stand out more at this point for the flash and wow factor far more common than he will at this point. And that’s fine, but he is still and will continue to be one of the best in the game.

Reactions: SillyRabbit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad