Is Carey Price overrated in the playoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingWantsCup

#FightLikeHell
Jul 3, 2009
New Jersey
It's a matter of time before he lights up the playoffs. With that said, I think that he will be hard pressed to win in spite of an already low scoring, patches-less offense.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
Why does a player's past PO performance have any bearing on this year? Different teams, different matchups, different set of events leading up to this moment.

To a degree, I agree. Look at Marc-Andre. You don't think past performances won't creep up in his head a little bit and give him a bit of anxiety about doing better? Although I don't think he was horrible last year in the POs.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
The thing is, goalies take so much longer to develop and the sample size is so small that we pretty much remember the context of every series - I can think of TWO series where Price wasn't up to par, the rest have easy but honest explanations/excuses.

He entered the league at a very young age, don't forget. Rinne only started peaking in his mid-to-late 20s, Price just entered his mid-to-late 20s and has so many games played already.

Last edited by a moderator:

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
The thing is, goalies take so much longer to develop and the sample size is so small that we pretty much remember the context of every series - I can think of TWO series where Price wasn't up to par, the rest have easy but honest explanations/excuses.

He entered the league at a very young age, don't forget. Rinne only started peaking in his mid-to-late 20s, Price just entered his mid-to-late 20s and has so many games played already.

I think it would be better to say that Price hasn't proven himself as much in the playoffs as he has in the regular season. I agree with what you're saying, but at some point he needs to step up and prove that he can be just as dominant in the post season consistently. He is certainly young though, and I have little doubt that he will at some point, possibly even this year.

YogiCanucks

Jan 1, 2007
Vancouver BC
I don't really know how Carey Price is "rated" but let's remember, sometimes Alexander Ovechkin is "overrated" and Tyler Bozak is "underrated" but you'll be damn sure I'm taking OV over LOLzak.

Carey Price is a fantastic goaltender and despite being in the league for quite sometime is still one of the younger keepers. I expect many stellar playoff performances in years to come.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
I think it would be better to say that Price hasn't proven himself as much in the playoffs as he has in the regular season. I agree with what you're saying, but at some point he needs to step up and prove that he can be just as dominant in the post season consistently. He is certainly young though, and I have little doubt that he will at some point, possibly even this year.

That's entirely fair - and when he signed his 6.5m contract I was one of the few dissenters who thought it was too expensive for someone unproven in the playoffs.

But he was STELLAR this year and great in the playoffs last year, I'm a skeptical guy but I'm not worried about Price.

Moops

Jan 22, 2015
Not sure. It depends how he's rated these days.

But he'll be a top goalie in the playoffs this year.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Seriously? He was playing playoff hockey in Montreal when he was 20 years old! What a joke this is.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
we're about to find out. The narrative of who's over/underrated, who's clutch, changes from shift to shift on these boards.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Now price might potentially win the Vezina and Hart this year but if you take a look in the past history his stats in the playoffs were always kind of.....average?

42GP 17W 21L 4OT 111 GA .909SV% 2.73GAA

They say the playoffs are a different ball game, yet i see alot of habs fans say Price will win the Conn Smyth.

Based on what? he made it past round 2 only once!! jinx

I think Price is a mediocre goalie in the playoffs, anything between 8-14 seriously.

Common OP. First you make a "Is Price overrated" thread at the beginning of the season and Price goes on to make you eat your words by not only having a vezina season, but also front runner for the Hart. And now that the playoffs start, you're doing the same thing. Mixed in with all the Price hate posts you made throughout the year, when do you stop talk talking trash about him? I question if you are a real Montreal fan if you can talk so much smack on our most important player.

Pure West

Oct 3, 2005
Vancouver
Can't forget how young he is, and many of those bad playoffs were growing pains and one where he was suspected to be injured no? He has been fantastic the last 2 seasons + playoffs + Olympics. His first playoff he was 20....look around the league now and see how many starting goalies are below the age of 25 even, let alone starting for a playoff team at 20.

I think his playoffs last year, Olympics and last 2 regular seasons are more on his mind and giving him confidence than any of his playoffs from years past. Goaltending is the only reason the Habs have a chance to go anywhere in the playoffs.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Not overrated. But he has something to prove. He hasn't been a great playoff performer in the past. But he's older and more mature and his overall game has improved. We'll see how he does. If his team gets bounced in the first round, then rightly or wrongly he'll get the brunt of the blame. It comes with the position and the expectations after an amazing season.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Not overrated. But he has something to prove. He hasn't been a great playoff performer in the past. But he's older and more mature and his overall game has improved. We'll see how he does. If his team gets bounced in the first round, then rightly or wrongly he'll get the brunt of the blame. It comes with the position and the expectations after an amazing season.

Unless he gives up an abundance of sieve goals, he won't receive a whole ton of blame for a loss against the Senators. We're a 4 player team and our most important goal scorer is out. Mix that in with if Ottawa wins, it will likely be by bullying our smaller players like they have been for 3 years now.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Unless he gives up an abundance of sieve goals, he won't receive a whole ton of blame for a loss against the Senators. We're a 4 player team and our most important goal scorer is out. Mix that in with if Ottawa wins, it will likely be by bullying our smaller players like they have been for 3 years now.

Trust me. I followed Luongo when he got the worst goal support in SCF history.
The goalie will take the blame.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Trust me. I followed Luongo when he got the worst goal support in SCF history.
The goalie will take the blame.

Roberto got shelled really bad every game in Boston and gave up a ton of bad goals in those games. That was just a crazy series in general. Like I said, if he Price gives up sieve goals, he will take the blame.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Roberto got shelled really bad every game in Boston and gave up a ton of bad goals in those games. That was just a crazy series in general. Like I said, if he Price gives up sieve goals, he will take the blame.

Luongo also got 6 or 7 goals support for the entire series. No team has ever won with that kind of support.
Your post shows how most people will view it if Price does the same.
And the Senators are nowhere close to what the Bruins were.

toewsintangibles

Leadership analyst
Dec 23, 2012
Carey Price looks rattled in goal

Is Carey Price shot for these playoffs? Does he see the intensity of Bobby Ryan when he closes his eyes? Or Karlsson's flow?

I can't see Price having a solid game again against the Sens and thus I bet the Habs are out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad