Is Bozie easily replaceable?

Is Bozie easily replaceable?

• Total voters

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Listen, my mom tells me Im cool too.... yet I spend most of my day on here....

All easily replaceable my friend. The replacements were just being held back by a coach and management team that obviously wanted to field a weaker team going forward.

Sounds like your mom is awesome. :)

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
You need to learn to take everything into consideration.
Or perhaps you need to be a little less dismissive of actual numbers and learn to give credit where credit is due. Trying to dismiss everything a player has done as being the results of someone else makes you look petty and hard to take seriously.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Or perhaps you need to be a little less dismissive of actual numbers and learn to give credit where credit is due. Trying to dismiss everything a player has done as being the results of someone else makes you look petty and hard to take seriously.
Are you denying he hasn't benefited from playing with JVR, Kessel and Marner who are far better and more skilled than Bozak himself? "Actual numbers" need context too you know

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Are you denying he hasn't benefited from playing with JVR, Kessel and Marner who are far better and more skilled than Bozak himself? "Actual numbers" need context too you know

With that logic you could say Gretzky benefited from playing with Kurri...

Reactions: The Apologist

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Tell her Rico Sauve say Hi and I will never forget that night in Ajax... such a romantic place ;)

:D
Ha, she says it wasn't Ajax you fibber, it was Whitby. She wouldn't be caught dead in a dirty town like Ajax.

Lol yes, players do generally 'benefit' from playing with talented players. I think Nazem benefitted from being paired with Mitch. Auston benefits from playing with Willie. I think both JVR and Bozie benefitted from playing with Brown.

I also think Phil benefitted from playing with Bozak, as have JVR, Brown, Mitch, Lupes, PAP, Naz, and the list goes on and on.

You don't score 375pts and play 600 plus NHL games solely benefitting from the players around you. It just doesn't happen. These arguments are just getting more and more ridiculous.

If you honestly cannot give the guy any credit for where he's at and the impressive career he's built, then I have nothing further for you because I honestly have zero respect for your hockey knowledge. None.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Lol yes, players do generally 'benefit' from playing with talented players. I think Nazem benefitted from being paired with Mitch. Auston benefits from playing with Willie. I think both JVR and Bozie benefitted from playing with Brown.

I also think Phil benefitted from playing with Bozak, as have JVR, Brown, Mitch, Lupes, PAP, Naz, and the list goes on and on.

You don't score 375pts and play 600 plus NHL games solely benefitting from the players around you. It just doesn't happen. These arguments are just getting more and more ridiculous.

If you honestly cannot give the guy any credit for where he's at and the impressive career he's built, then I have nothing further for you because I honestly have zero respect for your hockey knowledge. None.
Nazem had an even more productive year last year playing with Komarov and Brown the vast majority of the year (vastly out-produced Bozak with much inferior linemates, both sides of the ice too). And I really don't think Matthews needs Willy to do his thing. Phil has shown in Pittsburgh that he can produce big and win cups with an array of different linemates.

I never said that Bozak's production was solely from benefitting from players around him. Step out of denial mode for a bit and see what Bozak's been given for linemates for his career here. He's had his moments for sure, but when you have a center who needs sheltering and good linemates to do his thing - maybe it's just not worth it after all?

I have no bias at all, I'm just saying it how I see it. Bozak looks like the epitome of a mediocre hockey player and is incredibly easy to play against. If he is your standard for "an impressive career" then that's just laughable.

Reactions: Kurtz

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Nazem had an even more productive year last year playing with Komarov and Brown the vast majority of the year (vastly out-produced Bozak with much inferior linemates, both sides of the ice too). And I really don't think Matthews needs Willy to do his thing. Phil has shown in Pittsburgh that he can produce big and win cups with an array of different linemates.

I never said that Bozak's production was solely from benefitting from players around him. Step out of denial mode for a bit and see what Bozak's been given for linemates for his career here. He's had his moments for sure, but when you have a center who needs sheltering and good linemates to do his thing - maybe it's just not worth it after all?

I have no bias at all, I'm just saying it how I see it. Bozak looks like the epitome of a mediocre hockey player and is incredibly easy to play against. If he is your standard for "an impressive career" then that's just laughable.
We all have bias my friend. To pretend otherwise is silly. Have a good day.

Reactions: Nithoniniel

May 9, 2018
Of course he is. Riley Nash would be a good replacement for him as 3C.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
He's had his moments for sure, but when you have a center who needs sheltering and good linemates to do his thing - maybe it's just not worth it after all?

I have no bias at all...

I’m sorry I can’t resist.

“When you have a Centre who needs... good linemates to do his thing...”

Weren’t you leading the charge to have Komarov taken off another Centre’s line because that Centre had just 2 points in 20 games?

And weren’t you amongst the first to jump for joy once this massive slump was broken while playing with Marner and credited this move with the improved production?

Yep. It was you.

Let’s revisit that quote: “When you have a Centre who needs... good linemates to do his thing...

Maybe it’s not worth it after all?”

200w.gif

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
I’m sorry I can’t resist.

“When you have a Centre who needs... good linemates to do his thing...”

Weren’t you leading the charge to have Komarov taken off another Centre’s line because that Centre had just 2 points in 20 games?

And weren’t you amongst the first to jump for joy once this massive slump was broken while playing with Marner and credited this move with the improved production?

Yep. It was you.

Let’s revisit that quote: “When you have a Centre who needs... good linemates to do his thing...

Maybe it’s not worth it after all?”

200w.gif

As dumb as this debate is, that was pretty funny.

Well done.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Bozak has his limitations, but he can win a draw, provide some secondary scoring, fill the 2C PP spot, and score a shootout goal. Those guys don't grow on trees.

Toronto arguable has at least 4 players right now who could do all you suggest Bozak can do. Sounds like plenty of leafs on those non-existant trees.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Ideally we can upgrade on bozak at the third line center spot. He was a great player the past two seasons in a role where his talent was best maximized. But he is getting older and saw a decline in production. I wouldn't be opposed to having bozak on this team if he was willing to be a 9-11 minute 4th line center. That would mean we got another great center hopefully someone like Tavares ot stastny yo play on either 2nd ot 3rd line. Bozak was the only one out of komo, jvr, and him who played better in the playoffs then the regular season. Bozak didnt get many points but he was very well positioned in the defensive zone and was hustling well. He played with intensity for the first time in a long time. If we can have him be our 4th line center in the regular season and conserve his energy, I think he would be a valuable piece who could get more usage in the playoffs and be able to have another great playoff campaign.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I think most of us feel that Bozak will not return this year, are the tools he brings to the Leafs easily replaceable?

I don't think they are, but since they can't just extend him for two years he becomes an impractical option. Not simple to replace doesn't mean worthwhile to re-up, even in a hometown discount scenario. He is 32 and odds are, his best years are behind him. Somebody will sign him for 4-5yrs at $4+ and if the Leafs were further from the cap it might have been them. More players than not are in hard decline by age 34 though, if they are in the league at all. In a non cap environment it doesn't matter but I can't see him managing 40pts in 3yrs. Time to part ways.

Reactions: The Apologist

Ignatius Reilly

Nov 25, 2010
I want to look at his playoff performance, not just this year but in all 3 playoffs he's been in.
On a simple PPG metric (because that levels it out for players who weren't able to play in all games), he's been very good for us.

2018: 0.57 - T4th on the team, behind Marner, Reilly, Marleau.
2017: 0.67 - T3rd on the team, behind Reilly and Matthews.
2013: 0.40 - 10th, behind JVR, Franson, Kessel, Gardiner, MacArthur, Kadri, Lupul, Hamilton, Phaneuf.

Of course he was injured in 2013 which may have affected things. Of the guys in front of him back then, only JVR, Gardiner and Kadri remain with the team, and none of them produced above him in the following playoffs.

This was an off year for him in the regular season. Does it mean he's done? Maybe. Maybe not.

I don't think you can just write off his FO and SO strengths either. He's replaceable - everyone is, but easily? Not convinced. I'd be happy to see him back on a reasonable contract. At his age, he's probably reached his peak in terms of play, dollars and term. 3-4 years at 3-4 million works for me.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
What do you mean by 3C minutes? Most 3Cs get some defensive responsibility, not 60% Ozone starts against hilariously weak competition. Scoring .5 PPG in the softest 5on5 minutes available and top unit PP time is really not that hard, especially when you have one of the top young talents in the league creating offense for you for half the season.

He brings nothing else to the table other than faceoffs. Soft, slow, weak defensively. He's crafty in the offensive zone but nothing that can't be replaced by a 30-point player who knows where the defensive zone is.

If it walks like a duck, talk likes a duck... ...ever notice Babcock used JVR/Bozak like his '2nd' line? That JVR had the most goals? Bozak most assists for the center position?
Why are they the '3rd line'?

If Bozak doesn't come back, it's not his face-offs I'd worry about losing, but his passing. ...and a little of this could even be said about JVR. Right now, you have Matthews who's been more of a goal-scorer, although maybe Nylander and Hyman are not the best guys to try and set-up either? Nylander on center is fine... if he can commit to defense. There were only 10 UFA centers who out-score Plekanec. Only three UFA centers out-scored Bozak. If by some miracle Tavares signs, great. But I'm not interested in Sedin or Thornton. I don't think Stastny is an available option. Think the Leafs need more playmaking outside of their Nylander/Marner.

With no Bozak/JVR...
Matthews 29 assists
Hyman 25 assists
Kadri 23 assists
Marleau 20 assists

That's about it. Matt Martin had three times as many assists as Kapanen and Johnsson combined. I know the Leafs had a couple of great drivers with Mitch and Willy, but get past that and things look a little weak. Think the Leafs need playmaking. Perhaps can find someone overlooked in Europe?

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
If it walks like a duck, talk likes a duck... ...ever notice Babcock used JVR/Bozak like his '2nd' line? That JVR had the most goals? Bozak most assists for the center position?
Why are they the '3rd line'?

If Bozak doesn't come back, it's not his face-offs I'd worry about losing, but his passing. ...and a little of this could even be said about JVR. Right now, you have Matthews who's been more of a goal-scorer, although maybe Nylander and Hyman are not the best guys to try and set-up either? Nylander on center is fine... if he can commit to defense. There were only 10 UFA centers who out-score Plekanec. Only three UFA centers out-scored Bozak. If by some miracle Tavares signs, great. But I'm not interested in Sedin or Thornton. I don't think Stastny is an available option. Think the Leafs need more playmaking outside of their Nylander/Marner.

With no Bozak/JVR...
Matthews 29 assists
Hyman 25 assists
Kadri 23 assists
Marleau 20 assists

That's about it. Matt Martin had three times as many assists as Kapanen and Johnsson combined. I know the Leafs had a couple of great drivers with Mitch and Willy, but get past that and things look a little weak. Think the Leafs need playmaking. Perhaps can find someone overlooked in Europe?

How many teams have more than 2 elite playmakers? Hell, two years ago Greening put up PPG equal to what Bozak did this year, and he didn't have a 36 goal scorer on his line. That's how good Bozak is today. Also, Between JVR and Brown/Marner, there were 50 goals on Bozak's wings. Seriously, How did he only manage 32 assists all year? Lastly, we do have another elite playmaker in the org. His name is Jeremy Bracco and as a rookie 21 year old he produced as well as Bozak did in his rookie AHL season, except Bracco did it primarily playing limited minutes on the Marlies 4th line. His coach has repeated called his playmaking abilities elite. He's the guy I want to see playing with Matthews next year.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Ideally we can upgrade on bozak at the third line center spot. He was a great player the past two seasons in a role where his talent was best maximized. But he is getting older and saw a decline in production. I wouldn't be opposed to having bozak on this team if he was willing to be a 9-11 minute 4th line center. That would mean we got another great center hopefully someone like Tavares ot stastny yo play on either 2nd ot 3rd line. Bozak was the only one out of komo, jvr, and him who played better in the playoffs then the regular season. Bozak didnt get many points but he was very well positioned in the defensive zone and was hustling well. He played with intensity for the first time in a long time. If we can have him be our 4th line center in the regular season and conserve his energy, I think he would be a valuable piece who could get more usage in the playoffs and be able to have another great playoff campaign.

We already have an upgrade. His name is William Nylander. And he won't cost us $10 mill a year.

Ignatius Reilly

Nov 25, 2010
We already have an upgrade. His name is William Nylander. And he won't cost us $10 mill a year.

He would definitely be an upgrade over Bozak.

The challenge with that is we lose him off Matthew's line.

And nobody's getting $10 mill for playing 3C.

From your previous post - I don't know much about Bracco, but I do know you can't really compare AHL to NHL production. He might turn out to be good. Might not....

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
He would definitely be an upgrade over Bozak.

The challenge with that is we lose him off Matthew's line.

And nobody's getting $10 mill for playing 3C.

From your previous post - I don't know much about Bracco, but I do know you can't really compare AHL to NHL production. He might turn out to be good. Might not....

Bozak scored all of 20 points in 32 games in his rookie season as a 23 year old in the AHL. He was immediately promoted to the Leaf's first line in 2010. Bracco's playmaking ability has been repeatedly called elite by Keefe. If the coach of the best team in the AHL calls a 21 year old rookie's ability elite, I think that's worth paying attention to.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Bottom line is they need to find a new supporting cast. JVR, Bozak, Komarov....maybe throw Gardiner in there.
That's their challenge - we could argue about how replaceable Bozak is, but what's the point?

They need upgrades to make it to the next level

Ignatius Reilly

Nov 25, 2010
Bozak scored all of 20 points in 32 games in his rookie season as a 23 year old in the AHL. He was immediately promoted to the Leaf's first line in 2010. Bracco's playmaking ability has been repeatedly called elite by Keefe. If the coach of the best team in the AHL calls a 21 year old rookie's ability elite, I think that's worth paying attention to.

Maybe Bozak was tired that year from getting 27 points in 37 games in the NHL that same year?

Bracco got 32 points in 50 games with the Marlies. That's .64 PPG. It's good. It's also the AHL.

Bozak's 27 in 37 works out to .73. That's better. And that's in the NHL.

Neither one looks like an All-Star IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad