Is Bozie easily replaceable?

Is Bozie easily replaceable?

• Total voters

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Big picture, man, Bozak was fine for his tenure. It’s over, not championship caliber. Thanks for your service.

I’m fine with moving on. I suggested trading him at the deadline 2 seasons ago.

What’s sad is the desire to paint his contributions as meaningless. To say he’s terrible in his own end ignores the play in the remainder of the season and through the playoffs.

This series doesn’t ge to game 7 without him.

Just show respect.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
I have tons of respect and find his little boy Kanon adorable. I hope, and think, that he’s going to get a very nice contract this summer.
You have so much respect that you felt the need to make up stories about his character despite the fact that he in fact worked very hard to get to the NHL the hard way. Rejected by the WHL, undrafted by the NHL. Nobody expected him to be here let alone play 600 games.

We have a lot of guys on this team that you may be able to play the entitled star card with, Tyler Bozak is not one of them.

Reactions: Pookie

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
You have so much respect that you felt the need to make up stories about his character despite the fact that he in fact worked very hard to get to the NHL the hard way. Rejected by the WHL, undrafted by the NHL. Nobody expected him to be here let alone play 600 games.

We have a lot of guys on this team that you may be able to play the entitled star card with, Tyler Bozak is not one of them.

Here’s one of the articles I referred to Tyler Bozak and the Benn brothers reunite, years after..., I’ll provide the others if you wish, also look up “hubris” and “theory” in any online dictionary I never once said entitled.

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Here’s one of the articles I referred to Tyler Bozak and the Benn brothers reunite, years after..., I’ll provide the others if you wish, also look up “hubris” and “theory” in any online dictionary I never once said entitled.
Wow, talk about twisting an article to suit an agenda. Your theory sucks. Again, you wanna talk hubris, plenty of guys on this team to fill that role.

Here, try this one. Then give your head a shake and move on.
How undrafted Tyler Bozak has evolved on the Maple Leafs roster - Sportsnet.ca

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I am pretty confident that Dubas doesn't regard Bozak as highly as some of you guys do. He doesn't even get an offer from the Leafs.
Lots of folks on this board just continue to worship medicore players. Truly a sign of the damage years upon years of mediocrity had done to the psyche of this fanbase.

Bozak's done nothing in his career to be regarded highly in any fashion. Management's gonna let him walk and not even bat an eye, guarantee it.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Lots of folks on this board just continue to worship medicore players. Truly a sign of the damage years upon years of mediocrity had done to the psyche...

200w.gif

Ignatius Reilly

Nov 25, 2010
9 years as arguably 1st or 2nd line centre 18 playoff games 10 playoff points. That can, and already has been replaced. Keeping him has a fringe role player barely makes sense.

I'm not sure if I'm doing this right, but... if you go to the players stats on NHL.com and look at the last 3 playoffs the Leafs were in, then Bozak's performance was above average:

PPG guys above him: Marner, Reilly, Kessel, Franson, Marleau, JVR, Nylander, Hyman, MacArthur, Plekanec, Lupul. 4 of those guys are gone.

PPG guys below him (11 of them, to keep the numbers the same): Matthews, Gardiner, Hamilton, Kadri, Phaneuf, Frattin, Boyle, Martin, Johnsson, Brown, Grabovski. 5 of those guys are gone.

So... take a hard look at the guys who've produced less than him in the playoffs. Should we be ditching Matthews, Gardiner, Kadri, Johnsson?

Why not?

2 are rising stars, and 2 are "gud pros"?

I'm happy if we move on from him, just as much as I'd be happy to keep him at the right price.

Bonus Q: If TyBo was the 1st or 2nd line centre during the past 2 playoffs, what was Matthews? Kadri?

My recollection was that he'd lost the 1C to AM, and the 2C to Kadri for the past 2 years. Maybe I underestimated him?

garce

Mar 20, 2010
I'm not sure if I'm doing this right, but... if you go to the players stats on NHL.com and look at the last 3 playoffs the Leafs were in, then Bozak's performance was above average:

PPG guys above him: Marner, Reilly, Kessel, Franson, Marleau, JVR, Nylander, Hyman, MacArthur, Plekanec, Lupul. 4 of those guys are gone.

PPG guys below him (11 of them, to keep the numbers the same): Matthews, Gardiner, Hamilton, Kadri, Phaneuf, Frattin, Boyle, Martin, Johnsson, Brown, Grabovski. 5 of those guys are gone.

So... take a hard look at the guys who've produced less than him in the playoffs. Should we be ditching Matthews, Gardiner, Kadri, Johnsson?

Why not?

I'm happy if we move on from him, just as much as I'd be happy to keep him at the right price.

Bonus Q: If TyBo was the 1st or 2nd line centre during the past 2 playoffs, what was Matthews? Kadri?

My recollection was that he'd lost the 1C to AM, and the 2C to Kadri for the past 2 years. Maybe I underestimated him?

Lol ask the Apologist I dunno.

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Ya got me
Not trying to 'get' you at all.

Why not?

No, I am going to guess, just from how this thread has gone, that playoff points don't matter.

I'll add it to the list.

Things that don't matter in the NHL
Power play points
Faceoffs
Shootout goals
Takeaways

Did I miss anything?

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013

No, I am going to guess, just from how this thread has gone, that playoff points don't matter.

I'll add it to the list.

Power play points
Faceoffs
Shootout goals
Takeaways

Did I miss anything?

Leadership.

Reactions: The Apologist

garce

Mar 20, 2010

I'll add it to the list.

Power play points
Faceoffs
Shootout goals
Takeaways

Did I miss anything?

Well, let’s hear with all these positives, what you believe Tyler’s next contract will be. Both with the Leafs and on the open market. Sounds like a classic 2nd line centre to me.

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Well, let’s hear with all these positives, what you believe Tyler’s next contract will be. Both with the Leafs and on the open market. Sounds like a classic 2nd line centre to me.
Well I was bang on with the last one (and was ridiculed when i said Naz's AAV would be very similar). I'll try agsin.

If he stays, 2 years, 3 per

If he goes, 3 years 4.5 per

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Well I was bang on with the last one (and was ridiculed when i said Naz's AAV would be very similar). I'll try agsin.

If he stays, 2 years, 3 per

If he goes, 3 years 4.5 per

Not terrible, I think there’s no chance he’s back on anything more than 1 year. If Dubas decides not to use 19 cap space he could get 5 for a year. Hope not.
Somebody, Montreal, Colorado, Minnesota will give him 3X5 I hope it’s the Habs because that means they whiffed on Tavares.

Reactions: The Apologist

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Not terrible, I think there’s no chance he’s back on anything more than 1 year. If Dubas decides not to use 19 cap space he could get 5 for a year. Hope not.
Somebody, Montreal, Colorado, Minnesota will give him 3X5 I hope it’s the Habs because that means they whiffed on Tavares.
I hope it's not the Habs. I have a Kessel pens jersey. Even for TyBo I couldn't wear that one.

I say two because I think the Leafs do want to see Willie at C, but he is not there yet. Two years of Bozsk gives them a solid, dependable threat at 3c until they know what they actually have.

That being said, if JT comes here I drive Tyler to the airport myself.

Reactions: garce

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
No, everyone knows Kadri stole your GF or kicked your dog or whatever the **** he did to you. Just hilarious hearing you go on and on about it.

We are all a little tired of your personal attacks.

If you’ve got nothing to add, just add nothing and avoid the submit button.

Otherwise...

200w.gif

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Seen enough of Bozak...let some other team reap the rewards of signing him. Shootouts aren't a part of playoffs, Face-offs are a grey area now, his PP production is easily replaced in- house, take aways? havnt seen him catch anyone on a backcheck in ages,he has lost a step for sure and if he is a Leader it is by seniority default only.
Time to move on!

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
- Bozak is 14th overall for penalty-killing time among all-time Leaf forwards. People forget how he's been used in the past.

- How many times have you seen fans crying to put JVR on the 1st line? That Kadri would be so much better off with JVR? Really, it rarely
happened. It's always been a case of what to do with JVR? Power-play? Great, but as the league seems to get faster and faster, he's a boat
anchor 5-on-5. The fact is, a coaching decision has to be entirely wrapped around exploiting JVR's strengths while minimizing his weaknesses.
The whole question of why Matthews was getting 2nd line PP time? JVR. Offensive zone face-offs? JVR. And Bozak? Try and get him
the puck so he can score and maybe at the end of the day we can just hope to break even.

- Very reasonable contracts. It's amazing how many times Bozak's performance has been put up against players making massively more.
If anything, Bozak's contract level has allowed the Leafs to go out and add real A-grade players. It's the Leaf's management that has failed
Bozak his entire career. While Bozak has stood in front of the hippo fart that the Leafs media and fan circus is, Joffery Lupul has been
earning more then $1,000,000 per season. A seasoned labourer on a construction site making $25/hr tackling jobs that are usually reserved for
$38/hr trades-person is an asset.

2009-2011: $875,000
2011-2013: $1,500,000
2014-2018: $4,200,000

Going forward? I think Bozak is a smart hockey player. Unshackled from his make-do role with JVR, I think what is expected of him could
be changed. In 2014-2015, he was hitting twice as much and at the time put up the most Takeaways a Leaf had ever done. (Only recently being
passed by Marner and Matthews, tied with Nylander) Personally, I think it would be a huge mistake for Bozak to resign with the Leafs. On the
open market he can get more money. Hockey-wise, the Leafs need to rebuild at least half their blue-line and need to diversify how they produce
offense so they can't be shut-down. However, if Bozak wanted to come back at the right price, think he could come in more of a two-way player
then a lot of fans would expect. Think he could play a defensive game while making some plays to wingers like Connor Brown. However, usually
when an older player changes their game in such a fashion, fans jump all over them. If you're not scoring, you're useless in many fan's eyes.

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
- Bozak is 14th overall for penalty-killing time among all-time Leaf forwards. People forget how he's been used in the past.

- How many times have you seen fans crying to put JVR on the 1st line? That Kadri would be so much better off with JVR? Really, it rarely
happened. It's always been a case of what to do with JVR? Power-play? Great, but as the league seems to get faster and faster, he's a boat
anchor 5-on-5. The fact is, a coaching decision has to be entirely wrapped around exploiting JVR's strengths while minimizing his weaknesses.
The whole question of why Matthews was getting 2nd line PP time? JVR. Offensive zone face-offs? JVR. And Bozak? Try and get him
the puck so he can score and maybe at the end of the day we can just hope to break even.

- Very reasonable contracts. It's amazing how many times Bozak's performance has been put up against players making massively more.
If anything, Bozak's contract level has allowed the Leafs to go out and add real A-grade players. It's the Leaf's management that has failed
Bozak his entire career. While Bozak has stood in front of the hippo fart that the Leafs media and fan circus is, Joffery Lupul has been
earning more then $1,000,000 per season. A seasoned labourer on a construction site making $25/hr tackling jobs that are usually reserved for
$38/hr trades-person is an asset.

2009-2011: $875,000
2011-2013: $1,500,000
2014-2018: $4,200,000

Going forward? I think Bozak is a smart hockey player. Unshackled from his make-do role with JVR, I think what is expected of him could
be changed. In 2014-2015, he was hitting twice as much and at the time put up the most Takeaways a Leaf had ever done. (Only recently being
passed by Marner and Matthews, tied with Nylander) Personally, I think it would be a huge mistake for Bozak to resign with the Leafs. On the
open market he can get more money. Hockey-wise, the Leafs need to rebuild at least half their blue-line and need to diversify how they produce
offense so they can't be shut-down. However, if Bozak wanted to come back at the right price, think he could come in more of a two-way player
then a lot of fans would expect. Think he could play a defensive game while making some plays to wingers like Connor Brown. However, usually
when an older player changes their game in such a fashion, fans jump all over them. If you're not scoring, you're useless in many fan's eyes.
Apparently even when you are you're useless to some.

Awesome post btw.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad