Is Bozie easily replaceable?

Is Bozie easily replaceable?

• Total voters

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I don't see it as so black and white, but there's no middle option so I said yes. I think he brings value in terms of offense but ultimately we need more of a 2 way force than him.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
The options aren't very good so I didn't vote. I don't think he's easily replaceable, but I think he's poorly suited as a 3rd line C on a team that has a ton of offence already. He would look better as a Pred or a Duck IMO. Teams that can give a little defensively for some extra scoring.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Is that quality of player easily available? No. For all his flaws, he's a productive and useful center who can play well with highly skilled guys and has value on a PP.
Can we replace him easily? Yes. We have an abundance of wingers that can match his productivity, and we can move Nylander there for an upgrade on the actual spot in the lineup.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
no, there's not a whole lot of guys in the league who've been 50%+ in 8 of the last 9 years and gives the benefit of being a .61 ppg player

there is no one in the system who can replace him, not Aaltonen, not Brooks and certainly not Gauthier

unless the Leafs are truly considering taking a run at Tavares or are ready to move some bodies, they really have to take a long hard look at retaining him

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
The options aren't very good so I didn't vote. I don't think he's easily replaceable, but I think he's poorly suited as a 3rd line C on a team that has a ton of offence already. He would look better as a Pred or a Duck IMO. Teams that can give a little defensively for some extra scoring.

Man you are critical ... :D

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
no, there's not a whole lot of guys in the league who've been 50%+ in 8 of the last 9 years and gives the benefit of being a .61 ppg player

there is no one in the system who can replace him, not Aaltonen, not Brooks and certainly not Gauthier

unless the Leafs are truly considering taking a run at Tavares or are ready to move some bodies, they really have to take a long hard look at retaining him

The goat is a wild horse selection, I think this guy might have more to give. His skating has drastically improved over the last season after coming back from a major injury/surgery.

Reactions: The Apologist

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Of course he is not easy to replace. Any player who knowsss his team for years and organization and thangs is not easy to repleace. Cause they know thangs others will have to learn. Patterns, thangs. Bozak has been here for years. He also can play the game real good. So yeah, its not going to be an easy thang. We should get some real hard sucka back.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
The goat is a wild horse selection, I think this guy might have more to give. His skating has drastically improved over the last season after coming back from a major injury/surgery.
dark horse!

yes it has improved, but not enough to make him a decent NHL skater

guys who skate like Dave Steckl don't have a place in the league anymore

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Skillset is part of the equation, but it's also going to be about the contract he'll be looking for. If he prices himself out, someone else has to work their way in (internal replacement or someone acquired via UFA or trade). Still think it's a bit more likely he doesn't return, but it doesn't seem like re-signing can be ruled out.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Mark Hunter lack of drafting Cs in the entry draft has created a large hole that internally can't be filled by the loss of Bozak.

If the Leafs were rolling out Matthews, Barzal and Kadri as their top 3 C then we wouldn't even be having this discussion, or rather say Bozak who instead ?, if I were Leafs director of Amateur scouting. :wg:

Leafs only real option internally to replace Bozie is to move Willy from #1RW to #3C and build 3rd line around that, but sacrificing the top line in the process.

Externally adding Tavares to the team would push Kadri into the #3 hole and replace Bozak. I more than fine with that, but that is a pretty far fetched unrealistic outcome at this point. IMO due to cap constraints going forward.

Last edited:

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
There are a bunch of variables involved in this question. What is the price Bozak is going to ask. As others have alluded, if he has a big ask, for that price, he is easier to replace.. maybe not directly, but in totality how we spend that cap.

Offensively, there are four C's last year, who had better, or similar production, who will be UFA this year, and aren't retiring.. Tavares, Stastny, Nash and Thornton. Thornton had an injury riddled season, and might be breaking down... or it could just be a bad year, who knows, but there is that risk there. Bozak has been pretty durable.

All around, he's great in the dot, the PP, though maybe not the strongest in his own end. Of course, he's had some great offensive lineman, but they too weren't the best two way players.

So, is he going to be easy to replace.... well... there are only three or four guys at his level overall, or above... so it would seem the answer is no, he won't be easy to replace. Most of the UFA C's, are also older than Bozak....

There is Nylander of course, though he is pretty unproven as a full time C in the NHL... but maybe it's worth the gamble? But, you'd probably want to sign a very good to elite winger, to play with Matthews if that was the case.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
dark horse!

yes it has improved, but not enough to make him a decent NHL skater

guys who skate like Dave Steckl don't have a place in the league anymore
You are correct. He was given every opportunity to be our 4th line center and has not shown he can skate at the level required and he is a big body player who plays like a light weight.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
TyBo wants to stay and we need a #3C. Why haven't they agreed on a contract ? Me thinks Leafs will look for a better option and might double back if they can't find one.

The strategy should be to keep your core players and replace non-core players with cheaper options as and when needed. TyBo is not part of the core. See ya!.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
You are correct. He was given every opportunity to be our 4th line center and has not shown he can skate at the level required and he is a big body player who plays like a light weight.

He shouldn't be written off yet. Not after the severity of injury, surgeries and recovery time. If he gets a full off season to work on his skating, without such an injury, and is still the same... yes, I'd agree, but we should be giving him a chance, given our shallow C depth.

Reactions: Bluelines

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
There are a bunch of variables involved in this question. What is the price Bozak is going to ask. As others have alluded, if he has a big ask, for that price, he is easier to replace.. maybe not directly, but in totality how we spend that cap.

Offensively, there are four C's last year, who had better, or similar production, who will be UFA this year, and aren't retiring.. Tavares, Stastny, Nash and Thornton. Thornton had an injury riddled season, and might be breaking down... or it could just be a bad year, who knows, but there is that risk there. Bozak has been pretty durable.

All around, he's great in the dot, the PP, though maybe not the strongest in his own end. Of course, he's had some great offensive lineman, but they too weren't the best two way players.

So, is he going to be easy to replace.... well... there are only three or four guys at his level overall, or above... so it would seem the answer is no, he won't be easy to replace. Most of the UFA C's, are also older than Bozak....

There is Nylander of course, though he is pretty unproven as a full time C in the NHL... but maybe it's worth the gamble? But, you'd probably want to sign a very good to elite winger, to play with Matthews if that was the case.
If Mathews gets his way look for Marner playing with him and Willy playing with Kadri.

Willy is proven that he is not an NHL Center in my opinion as he has proven that he avoids physical situations that Centers are to engage in to be successful. Maybe playing the whole year with Kadri will help.

Bozak is the one RFA that has a good chance of us resigning him. Trouble free player who can play up in the line up and has good offensive instincts and is great at the dot and on the power play. We lack center depth.

Reactions: The Apologist

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
He shouldn't be written off yet. Not after the severity of injury, surgeries and recovery time. If he gets a full off season to work on his skating, without such an injury, and is still the same... yes, I'd agree, but we should be giving him a chance, given our shallow C depth.
He has had all the chance he is likely to get. He may get training camp but I just do not seeing it happening for us.
His compete level is a huge concern and when you couple that with his bad feet it does not look good for him. Just another in a long line of bad picks by our previous management group. Hence why I am a big supporter of Hunter.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Mark Hunter lack of drafting Cs in the entry draft has created a large hole that internally can't be filled by the loss of Bozak.

If the Leafs were rolling out Matthews, Barzal and Kadri as their top 3 C then we wouldn't even be having this discussion, or rather say Bozak who instead ?, if I were Leafs director of Amateur scouting. :wg:

Leafs only real option internally to replace Bozie is to move Willy from #1RW to #3C and build 3rd line around that, but sacrificing the top line in the process.

Externally adding Tavares to the team would push Kadri into the #3 hole and replace Bozak. I more than fine with that, but that is a pretty far fetched unrealistic outcome at this point. IMO due to cap constraints going forward.

:deadhorse

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Simple solution is to sign Tavares and play Matthews and Tavares 20+, Kadri 15 and a cheap #4C for 5 minutes/game.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
TyBo wants to stay and we need a #3C. Why haven't they agreed on a contract ? Me thinks Leafs will look for a better option and might double back if they can't find one.

The strategy should be to keep your core players and replace non-core players with cheaper options as and when needed. TyBo is not part of the core. See ya!.

You can Interview UFA's, from June 24th (Day after entry draft) this year, until June 30th. It will be during this time, that the Leafs will be able to know, if they will be able to sign a better UFA C than Bozak, or if they will have to get him back. It wouldn't be prudent to sign him earlier, and rule out upgrades, when we have the cap. Of course they should be kicking tires, but they might have to circle back on Bozak out of necessity.

Reactions: ToneDog

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
I think people discount a lot of other things he does bring to the table. Leadership, a solid veteran presence. In a city like this one where every little thing becomes a story, there has been nothing. That's impressive in itself.

For the right price I absolutely see him coming back. If not, I think people are about to find out just how big a role he actually played.

Also very happy to see Im not the only one in the 'No not easy to replace, don't go Flowzack!!' category!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->