Is Bettman ok?

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
To everyone saying he’s just a mouthpiece for the owners, that’s not really true.

He does what they tell him to do, and much of the time, they’re telling him to do what he’s advised them to. It goes both ways.
Exactly. You don't pay a guy $10 million a year to be a mouthpiece.

Bettman is the architect of the salary cap and current structure of the NHL. His job isn't to be a mouthpiece. It's to provide a plan for the NHL and get the owners on board with it through various tactics. There's a pretty good book written about him and all the strong-arming involved.

Reactions: Tawnos

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
I appreciate the fun of booing Gary and blaming him for the lockouts and whatnot, but the fact remains that hes done more for the NHL than arguably anyone else in its history. He is a class act, and I wish him the best.

Reactions: Tweed

Anguyen92

Aug 23, 2020
We can't honestly put the blame on Bettman for the NHL players not showing up on the 2018 Olympics. The ideas is that the league is put on hold for two weeks. No games happening which means no gate revenue is generating for the league in that time frame. On top of that, the NHL has to be the ones to pay for players' insurance and can't promote the fact that their players are going to be in the Olympics. Was the IOC (who has a reputation for being a greedy entity themselves) willing to compensate the league to make it worth the NHL's while? If not, then it's the correct business move (that favors the league) to make from Bettman's perspective.

It's the sucky move from the fans' view, but if there is no major incentive for the NHL to send their players to the Olympics, they are not going to do it for that year.

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
NHL owners made that decision, he just represented them. IOC is also corrupt and wanted to screw the NHL out of money.

As it stands, there's zero reason why NHL players should be allowed to go to the Olympics. Direct your anger at the IOC which is the representation of greed

Exactly, I still find it hilarious that people blame the owners and Bettman for the Olympic stuff. No, that's completely because the IOC is the most corrupt sports organization on the planet, even more than FIFA.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Mostly this.

For as much as he gets lauded for expanding the league, he also presided over 3 labor stoppages and 2 lengthy dead-puck eras, where the sport was almost unwatchable.

He has done some positive things for the league but his legacy shouldn't be all sunshine and rainbows.

Meh, labour stoppages is part of life. Its always a risk when you have collective bargaining and unions. The NFL has had strikes it just didnt go to a stoppage because it was coming from the players instead of the owners. Teachers strike too. Players got revenue sharing, owners got a cap.

Whatever impairment resulted from DPE is overblown, and doesn't have any effect on how much money the league can command 20 years on. Clearly the expansion more than makes up for "bad on ice product" 20 years ago.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Agreed on what Bettman has done for the sport. I think we shouldn't boo him anymore but instead, the next time fans see him (at the draft, trophy presentations, etc.) we should chant his name.

GAR-Y, GAR-Y, GAR-Y!!

Would be awesome for him, he's gettng up there in age, almost 70, to have people go from booing him to praising him, it would feel so good for him and for us.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Agreed on what Bettman has done for the sport. I think we shouldn't boo him anymore but instead, the next time fans see him (at the draft, trophy presentations, etc.) we should chant his name.

GAR-Y, GAR-Y, GAR-Y!!

Would be awesome for him, he's gettng up there in age, almost 70, to have people go from booing him to praising him, it would feel so good for him and for us.

Hi Gary.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I think Gary's reputation is in a sweet spot right now, far enough away from the painful memory of losing a season and a half of hockey. Even longer from his years long denial of clutch and grab hockey, which finally got remedied in the first lockout. Plus the league just pulled off a major feat in the playoff bubble.

And it's probably several years until his reputation (rightfully) takes a hit for being a long time CTE denier and his actions, or inactions rather, in addressing concussions in the game and their lasting impact on players.

traffic cone

May 12, 2011
I think Gary's reputation is in a sweet spot right now, far enough away from the painful memory of losing a season and a half of hockey. Even longer from his years long denial of clutch and grab hockey, which finally got remedied in the first lockout. Plus the league just pulled off a major feat in the playoff bubble.

And it's probably several years until his reputation (rightfully) takes a hit for being a long time CTE denier and his actions, or inactions rather, in addressing concussions in the game and their lasting impact on players.
This is a good point and one that I definitely agree on.

Although it's the same problem with almost every chief of league and almost every owner in almost every other sport. Which is sad of course.

Even sadder is when you see us fans thinking the same way. "They get millions to do it. They have to entertain me and not be bunch of crybabies".

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

DickSmehlik

Oct 23, 2006
The Empire State
Let's see how the NHL's overreliance on gate receipts is going to impact the bottom line not only next season but likely at least the next couple of years.

A stale or even decreasing salary cap probably isn't going to sit well with players, especially if it lasts multiple seasons.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
And the economical growth of the NHL.

And that is ultimately why he is still the Commish. He is making them ALL money. From Owners down to the Players. None of these players are making $8M/yr and above without those TV Deals (Remember when everyone was screaming about VS??). What part of marketing is he responsible for? Players can go sign their own endorsements if they want, just like any other athlete. I see just as much advertising for hockey as I do for the NBA/MLB -- and the league is leaner than either of those.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Let's see how the NHL's overreliance on gate receipts is going to impact the bottom line not only next season but likely at least the next couple of years.

A stale or even decreasing salary cap probably isn't going to sit well with players, especially if it lasts multiple seasons.
To be fair the players arent the one investing the millions lost - they only lose time (and yes the causation of dollars lost from that time)

The players have no place in a discussion to argue over a collapsing cap due to a pandemic. Thats really the owners side of the business

Reactions: Patrik26

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
And the economical growth of the NHL.

He has helped succeed that, yes, but I do think the sporting bubble over the last 25 years was the biggest factor in it all. As in, had it been another commissioner, similar growth would have been realized by the league. I actually think Bettman has held the league back from being an even bigger revenue monster.

traffic cone

May 12, 2011
He has helped succeed that, yes, but I do think the sporting bubble over the last 25 years was the biggest factor in it all. As in, had it been another commissioner, similar growth would have been realized by the league. I actually think Bettman has held the league back from being an even bigger revenue monster.
Based on?

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Based on?

The biggest thing for me is his affinity to keeping the Coyotes alive after all these years. I wish he rectified the situation in the same way he did by relocating Atlanta to Winnipeg.

The game was unwatchable years ago, which may have shunned away a new wave of fans.

The marketing of the game and its stars has always been vastly underwhelming. Sidney Crosby should be a household name and recognizable figure in the States in the same way LeBron, Brady and Trout are. Or if you want to choose an American, Auston Matthews, Jack Eichel or Patrick Kane.

He stunted the momentum of the league with the lockouts because the season immediately prior to two of those the league had record revenues.

The growth of the league came at a time when revenues in all sports ballooned because of the thirst for live TV content. The next U.S. TV deal will tell a lot as to the popularity of the sport in the States and its potential for further growth.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Certainly hope not. I would be okay with Bill Daly.

Not only would Daly offer continuity for what Bettman and he have built up over the years. But he seems like a genuine, nice, likeable guy. He doesn't have that smug aura attached to him like most other league commissioners/executives. No problems with him leading the league into the future whenever Bettman chooses to step aside and/or retire.

Windy River

Jan 31, 2013
I appreciate the fun of booing Gary and blaming him for the lockouts and whatnot, but the fact remains that hes done more for the NHL than arguably anyone else in its history. He is a class act, and I wish him the best.
Sure, but whoever is the head of NHL for this long (almost 30 years!!) is bound to see an enormous amount of change and growth. Despite this timeframe, the growth has paled in comparison to other leagues and other organizations. Look at the world at large and the evolution of technology and society, at times it feels like the NHL is stuck in a time-capsule! Besides the stoppages have been more frequent and lengthier than other major leagues. It’s easy to imagine that another commissioner, perhaps one with less ego and more creative planning could’ve done alot more for the league than Bettman has. Personally I believe this to be the case. There’s no way that an ego like his would not get in the way of progress to some degree.

Reactions: TheTotalPackage

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Sure, but whoever is the head of NHL for this long (almost 30 years!!) is bound to see an enormous amount of change and growth. Despite this timeframe, the growth has paled in comparison to other leagues and other organizations. Look at the world at large and the evolution of technology and society, at times it feels like the NHL is stuck in a time-capsule! Besides the stoppages have been more frequent and lengthier than other major leagues. It’s easy to imagine that another commissioner, perhaps one with less ego and more creative planning could’ve done alot more for the league than Bettman has. Personally I believe this to be the case. There’s no way that an ego like his would not get in the way of progress to some degree.
I agree with you, but of course it's one of those things we will never know for sure. I think we should also consider the role the NHLPA has played in all of this too, though I'm not sure who is to blame for what. Either way, I hope Gary will be remembered fondly when his time with the league ends, he deserves it.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00