Is Bettman ok?

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
That's a pretty significant misrepresenation and misunderstanding of Bettman's role as commissioner.

Yes he is ultimately in the employ of the owners but you don't pay someone $10 million a year just to execute orders. He is responsible for the ultimate vision for the league and getting the owners on board, not the other way around.

"The Instigator" is a pretty good read on the topic and gives a much fuller picture of his role than what you've described.

You're mistaken.

Bettman doesn't tell the Board, hey, lets expand the league. How about Vegas?

The Board tasks him, as the Commish, to do all of the due diligence to see if the league can support a new team, what would the ramifications be to the existing markets, what would the market bare, financially, for a new team, how would it effect future television deals, what markets could best support a new team, what would the travel ramifications be for that, would would the alignment be for each prospective market and then all of the homework for potential markets, potential owners, potential buildings. After all of that work is done, it's presented to the Board, and the Board, and the Board alone makes the decisions and ultimately votes.

Bettman has no vote and no say other than offering his opinion based on the research and due diligence he has been tasked with.

I have repeatedly seen fans here say "Stupid Bettman put a team in Miami" as if he somehow has the power to do such a thing.

SwaggySpungo

Oct 18, 2018
You're mistaken.

Bettman doesn't tell the Board, hey, lets expand the league. How about Vegas?

The Board tasks him, as the Commish, to do all of the due diligence to see if the league can support a new team, what would the ramifications be to the existing markets, what would the market bare, financially, for a new team, how would it effect future television deals, what markets could best support a new team, what would the travel ramifications be for that, would would the alignment be for each prospective market and then all of the homework for potential markets, potential owners, potential buildings. After all of that work is done, it's presented to the Board, and the Board, and the Board alone makes the decisions and ultimately votes.

Bettman has no vote and no say other than offering his opinion based on the research and due diligence he has been tasked with.

I have repeatedly seen fans here say "Stupid Bettman put a team in Miami" as if he somehow has the power to do such a thing.

With all due respect, this is wildly inaccurate. Gary Bettman is, far and away, the most powerful man in hockey.

As others have said, there’s a reason the guy makes $10 million per year.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
With all due respect, this is wildly inaccurate. Gary Bettman is, far and away, the most powerful man in hockey.

As others have said, there’s a reason the guy makes $10 million per year.

Wildly innaccurate? Care to point out a single thing that I said that was inaccurate?

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I wonder who the incumbent commissioner is going to be?
Mr_Burns.png

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
I always thought he's nervous in front of crowds. He's shaked a lot when talking publically for years and years

It doesn't have to be one or the other. Stress can exacerbate the motor symptoms of Parkinson's. It does look like an essential tremor.

I don't think I will enjoy booing him anymore.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
It doesn't have to be one or the other. Stress can exacerbate the motor symptoms of Parkinson's. It does look like an essential tremor.

I don't think I will enjoy booing him anymore.
Sure.
Why would you ever enjoy booing him?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
He's always had those tremors. Whatever the cause it's not likely to get better as he gets older, but I think for as long as he's had them if there was some kind of diagnosis it'd have come out by now. Not really in my sphere of concern anyway.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Gary Bettman simply represents the overall vote of the owners on issues pertaining to player-owner relations.

I get that people enjoy the ease of blindly berating one overly demonized individual, but there is a whole lot more to the issues that people simply claim as a product of Bettman’s evil.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
You can't please everybody all of the time...but look at where the league was before Bettman and where it is now. Bettman's tenure has absolutely successful. The problem what fans do is forget that the NHL is a BUSINESS first. Money talks, emotions walk. As fans we're so emotionally invested in the game that it often blinds us to the realities of Bettman's job.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Gary Bettman simply represents the overall vote of the owners on issues pertaining to player-owner relations.

I get that people enjoy the ease of blindly berating one overly demonized individual, but there is a whole lot more to the issues that people simply claim as a product of Bettman’s evil.

When I read comments about what Bettman did to Winnipeg and Quebec I am astounded at how many still cannot grasp that the commish of a league is the bag man and mouth piece of the owners.

Ginormousthumbs

Jul 7, 2013
West Side
My favorite Gary moment is when the Knights were unveiling their then unknown name and the idiots in the crowd were booing him instead of the tech who flubbed the reveal video.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Best NHL commissioner ever ainec. It's sad to me every time how he gets booed. It's not an easy job like making burgers or something. He has done the very best anyone could at the position. Blaming only him for lockouts when NHLPA is also part of that problem gets overlooked.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->