Is Bettman ok?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
He's has his faults, but he's a genius compared to his predecessor. The booing started with NBA fans booing Stern in NYC, then spread to other sports. It's become a rite of passage for commissioners, and if you are not being booed it's almost more worrying than if you are.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Damn poor guy. Never understood the dislike people have for him. Hope he gets better.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
The things I'll fault Bettman on are:

Screwing over Winnipeg and Quebec
Propping up a failed organization in the Coyotes with NHL money for what seems like forever
Encouraging/threatening cities to subsidize billionaires arenas
The numerous lockouts
Piss poor marketing

But at the end of the day I would never wish ill harm on him. I really do hope he's ok.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Agreed. I can understand in Canada with what he did to Winnipeg and Quebec. But Winnipeg’s mistake has been repaired so there’s just Quebec now. Why people in Chicago, dallas or st-louis would boo him, I don’t really understand.

Probably has to do with the 3 lockouts that happened under his leadership, including cancelling an entire season

The things I'll fault Bettman on are:

Screwing over Winnipeg and Quebec
Propping up a failed organization in the Coyotes with NHL money for what seems like forever
Encouraging/threatening cities to subsidize billionaires arenas
The numerous lockouts
Piss poor marketing

But at the end of the day I would never wish ill harm on him. I really do hope he's ok.

To be fair, thats pretty much what the other 3 commissioners do/have done.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I think he is just waiting for Seattle to come into NHL and negotiate the new US TV deal, than he will retire.

I never got why people boo him, he has done a great job, I like him.

I wouldn't say I like him but I absolutely agree that he's done a great job. I have no issues with Bettman whatsoever.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Look up his leaked emails and then let me know how you feel about him.

Give me a break. Every single one of us has probably sent an email or text that would make us look pretty bad if it were seen from another set of eyes. Just like how most of us would get looks from others if they heard our private conversations that we all have in the privacy of our own homes. You can't judge somebody based on private emails. That's absurd. None of us are perfect and we all say things in private that wouldn't be considered appropriate.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
He's has his faults, but he's a genius compared to his predecessor. The booing started with NBA fans booing Stern in NYC, then spread to other sports. It's become a rite of passage for commissioners, and if you are not being booed it's almost more worrying than if you are.

I thought the booo come from Bettman giving a shit aobut Canadian cities, and the most hockeyinflued american area - Minnestoa- forced to give up their teams, and place hockey in.... diffrent exotic places instead.

Like ripping the heart of the hockeynation itself. Even as an Un-canadian I see it as a bit cruel.
The Quebeck relocation was even uneccesary. It could have been stopped with a cap structered plan But Bettman was so full in expanding the hockey over the whole USA (fine .. its good), but for the cost of those who love the sport.

And with the second chance for Bettman to reedeem himself, he just blow it. Didnt help QUebek, .. as he maybe should have... instead just waited for Seattle. Way to go...

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
I don't care for Bettman just because of the lockouts and the potential for another upcoming lockout. I just want hockey to be back every year. I dont wanna switch to watching Poker again if it locks out again
You do realize the players are at as much fault for the lockout as the owners are?

Reactions: cptjeff

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I never got why people boo him, he has done a great job, I like him.

A huge percentage of the people that boo him don't have a clue what he does and often blame him for things he has zero control over. Bettman is routinely booed and hated for things his bosses do, not him.

So many fans seem to think the Commissioner is all powerful and don't have a clue that he reports to and does the bidding of the Board of Directors who employ him and its them, not Bettman that made the decisions. Bettman doesn't even have a vote let alone control over those things.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Props to him that he keeps working. Just cause he may have something wrong his mind seems sharp so just because his body may be failing it's no reason for him to quit before it's time.

The NHL will be worse off when he finally retires.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
He definitely has some tremors going on but he doesn't look that bad for 67. I don't think he's been a particularly good commissioner but you'd still wish him the best health-wise, not that we happen to know about any serious issues at the moment.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Wishing him the best, that it's not Parkinson's or another autoimmune issue.

In trying to find a positive... He's always had some form of tremors. Since it has been ongoing for so long, could just mean that it's non-essential tremors. Something that some people have without necessarily having a further underlying medical cause. Another thought... maybe side-effect to medications?

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
All American hockey fans should bow down to Bettman and call him a god.
All of his good favour has been focused on American markets.

Reactions: Dominance

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I don't wish ill health on anyone, but have a hard time finding a lot of sympathy for him given his repeated public denials of any link between head trauma and CTE and the league stance on the issue. If it is Parkinson's, there's some irony in how many of the symptoms overlap the post concussion trauma that NHL players endure.

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
He needs to smoke more marijuana and less parros pole.
Ya, he sure defended parros and did not acknowledge the errors of that dept. It's a tough call to suspend or not and you cant please all fans as he stated, but parros needs support. Clearly some mistakes there.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
A huge percentage of the people that boo him don't have a clue what he does and often blame him for things he has zero control over. Bettman is routinely booed and hated for things his bosses do, not him.

So many fans seem to think the Commissioner is all powerful and don't have a clue that he reports to and does the bidding of the Board of Directors who employ him and its them, not Bettman that made the decisions. Bettman doesn't even have a vote let alone control over those things.
That's a pretty significant misrepresenation and misunderstanding of Bettman's role as commissioner.

Yes he is ultimately in the employ of the owners but you don't pay someone $10 million a year just to execute orders. He is responsible for the ultimate vision for the league and getting the owners on board, not the other way around.

"The Instigator" is a pretty good read on the topic and gives a much fuller picture of his role than what you've described.

Reactions: cptjeff

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad