Is Auston Matthews a streaky player? Or do you see Auston as a consistent goal/point scorer?

Is Auston Matthews a streaky player? Or do you see Auston as a consistent goal/point scorer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
5 goals in the first 3 games followed by 2 goals in the next 5 games. Nope, not streaky at all.

But again, as mentioned by a few posters, this is the life of a goal scorer. They go piping hot for stretches and then cool down for stretches. It is what it is.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Speaking of McDavid, that 5 point game came when he played 18 minutes, and the 0 point games came when he played 23 and 26 minutes.

Using the logic that the anti-Matthews brigade has been so kind to continuously point out, clearly this is 100% irrefutable proof that McDavid can't handle big minutes, and not at all a representation of score effects. :sarcasm:

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Speaking of McDavid, that 5 point game came when he played 18 minutes, and the 0 point games came when he played 23 and 26 minutes.

Using the logic that the anti-Matthews brigade has been so kind to continuously point out, clearly this is 100% irrefutable proof that McDavid can't handle big minutes, and not at all a representation of score effects. :sarcasm:

However, it’s one game. For someone who uses stats, you know how pathetic of a sample size that is right?[/QUOTE]

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Every elite goal scorer is "streaky." The only consistent ones are consistently bad at it.

Do you know how bizarre and unlikely it would be if the goals were evenly distributed throughout the year throughout every 5 game section? When even the elite goal scorers are somewhere around 0.5-0.6 goals per game, obviously there are going to be some segments when they're all quieter.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
McDavid over the last 3 games has had 0 points, and then he had 5 points, and then he had 0 points again. Streakiest player in history!!

See how ridiculous your logic sounds?
No, especially if you look at last season’s game logs which I posted earlier in the thread. Matthews went on a stretch of 1 goal in 11 games and another of 4 goals in 21 games with a bunch of hot streaks in between. It is what it is. That how it goes for goal scorers. McDavid doesn’t see those extremes over the course of an 82 game sample size. It is what it is. No need to take it as an insult. No need to be upset.

Reactions: Stamkos4life

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
No, especially if you look at last season’s game logs which I posted earlier in the thread. Matthews went on a stretch of 1 goal in 11 games and another of 4 goals in 21 games with a bunch of hot streaks in between.
I'm not sure what you're looking at but I have the game logs up and I don't see the 4 goals in 21 games at all, and the other one was sandwiched in between a 3 goals in 2 games stretch and a 3 game goal-scoring streak. He was still putting up points in that stretch, and this is despite playing with the lowest quality linemates of any of his peers and getting less PP time than all of his peers. And the previous year, he was even more consistent. We already know that Matthews has scored in the highest percentage of games played of anybody in the league since he entered. Matthews is one of the most consistent scorers in the league, despite his disadvantages.

McDavid doesn’t see those extremes over the course of an 82 game sample size.
Everybody has hot and cold stretches. McDavid had a stretch of 2 goals in 13 games last season. Ovechkin had 17 goals in 14 games last year, followed by a 1 goal in 10 game stretch, and a 2 goal in 9 game stretch later on.

No need to be upset.
I'm not upset. I'm calling out your ridiculous logic.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
I'm not sure what you're looking at but I have the game logs up and I don't see the 4 goals in 21 games at all, and the other one was sandwiched in between a 3 goals in 2 games stretch and a 3 game goal-scoring streak. He was still putting up points in that stretch, and this is despite playing with the lowest quality linemates of any of his peers and getting less PP time than all of his peers. And the previous year, he was even more consistent. We already know that Matthews has scored in the highest percentage of games played of anybody in the league since he entered. Matthews is one of the most consistent scorers in the league, despite his disadvantages.

Everybody has hot and cold stretches. McDavid had a stretch of 2 goals in 13 games last season. Ovechkin had 17 goals in 14 games last year, followed by a 1 goal in 10 game stretch, and a 2 goal in 9 game stretch later on.

I'm not upset. I'm calling out your ridiculous logic.
Auston Matthews Stats and News

Look at the stretches from December to March in particular. Use different starting points and there’s all kinds of long droughts. Especially in comparison to the other months that he was much hotter. Big contrast. There were threads last season about some of his dry spells which were locked or deleted because of leafs fans victim complex. I started at least one on the middle of one of those spells.

McDavid May have gone 13 games with only 2 goals but it’s different from when it happens to a less fully rounded offensive threat. If Matthews (or Ovechkin as you mention) aren’t scoring goals, the assists are not coming in at the rate they are for a McDavid.

Yes, when anyone types a statement and uses multiple exclamation points it’s suggests an emotional tie to the subject at hand. It suggests being upset about what is being presented or suggested.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Look at the stretches from December to March in particular.
There is no stretch that has 4 goals in 21 games like you claimed. And you just named the same stretch twice.

Use different starting points
Cherry pick**

Especially in comparison to the other months that he was much hotter. Big contrast.
He has hot and cold stretches, just like literally every single player in the history of all sports. This does not make him inconsistent relative to his peers.

There were threads last season about some of his dry spells which were locked or deleted because of leafs fans victim complex. I started at least one on the middle of one of those spells.
I'm sure you did... If your thread was deleted, it's because you were trolling. I know trolling Leaf fans is usually allowed, as we can clearly see by this thread remaining open, so I understand your confusion.

McDavid May have gone 13 games with only 2 goals but it’s different from when it happens to a less fully rounded offensive threat.
Ah, so we're allowed to look at just goal-scoring for Matthews to make ridiculous claims about him, even though he is statistically the most consistent goal-scorer since entering the league, but when we do it with literally every single other player in all of history and see the same thing, it's irrelevant?

Yes, when anyone types a statement and uses multiple exclamation points it’s suggests an emotional tie to the subject at hand. It suggests being upset about what is being presented or suggested.
Clearly what was said in that post went over your head.

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
it's an opinion, and it's not backed up by very much. You could say his linemates are below average finishers though

Oh man you guys crack me up.

A player with 200+ games who has averaged 35 assists every 82 games is not a good playmaker.

You can keep ignoring it or just blame it on his linemates if you want. But the facts are right in front of you.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019

A player with 200+ games who has averaged 35 assists every 82 games is not a good playmaker.

You can keep ignoring it or just blame it on his linemates if you want. But the facts are right in front of you.

4 apples and 9 points overall since Marner switched to his wing. Seems like maybe having better players on your line influences how many assists you get? Crazy.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
There is no option for "I see him as a MFing alpha-male!"?

He is consistent and streaky. Fluxuates between "terrific player" and "wins games by himself".

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
4 apples and 9 points overall since Marner switched to his wing. Seems like maybe having better players on your line influences how many assists you get? Crazy.

Auston requires playing with one of the best playmakers in the league to get more assists? Crazy.

Way to quote an old post. In the 11 games prior to his current streak he had 7 points. That's a 52 point pace.

Auston has been playing well lately. 9 points in 4 games and strong in his own end. Seems like getting benched by keefe and playing eichel has motivated him to put in a better effort.

I call him out when his play is sub par. It has not been for the last 4 games.

Edit: I take it back. Auston is a "good" playmaker. What that means to each person is subjective. He is on pace for 40 assist which is above average but well below the elite playmakers of the league.

Last edited:
Reactions: Michel Beauchamp

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017

What's your problem man? Of course he's a "good" playmaker... absolutely ridiculous.

Edit: no I forgot you're one of the fun fans who dumps on Matthews endlessly because it makes Marner look better. There's other options, you don't have to be like this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dekes For Days

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
What's your problem man? Of course he's a "good" playmaker... absolutely ridiculous.

Edit: no I forgot you're one of the fun fans who dumps on Matthews endlessly because it makes Marner look better. There's other options, you don't have to be like this.

I don't dump on auston endlessly. I literally posted this yesterday;

7 points in his last 3 games. Looks like auston is heating up. Would be nice if he could close the gap on the league leaders but it's nice to see him produce and play well in his own end.

Looks like marner - Matthews - Hyman could be a killer line for us. Maybe put nylander with jt?

When he is playing well I give credit. That assist he had today was very slick.

When he is not putting forth the effort required of him (getting benched and only playing 14 minutes) I believe he deserves to be called out.

For 11.6 x 5 we cant afford for him to take nights off. Especislly for long stretches. Luckily he has been playing well lately. Hopefully he can keep it up.

Last edited:

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
I don't dump on auston endlessly. I literally posted this yesterday;

When he is playing well I give credit. That assist he had today was very slick.

When he is not putting forth the effort required of him (getting benched and only playing 14 minutes) I believe he deserves to be called out.

For 11.6 x 5 we cant afford for him to take nights off. Especislly for long stretches. Luckily he has been playing well lately. Hopefully he can keep it up.

I'm fine with reasonable criticism, saying he's "not a good playmaker," is unreasonable/dumb.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad