Is Auston Matthews a streaky player? Or do you see Auston as a consistent goal/point scorer?

Is Auston Matthews a streaky player? Or do you see Auston as a consistent goal/point scorer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

OilCanada92

May 1, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
To reiterate - this guy does not think Auston Matthews is a #1A in the NHL.
Why mock someone who attempts to back up his argument?

The flaw in this is its presuming the injuries he had in 2/3 are a non factor
Considering even Leafs fans are openly starting to wonder if he's injury prone, saying injuries affect his play isn't really a positive.

Last edited:

Hustlr

Oct 1, 2019
17-18:

2 games in: 1G...

If we’re using tiny sample sizes why not!

He’s one of the most dangerous shooters almost every single night. He might start off Octobers hot but that’s not really a streaky player considering he’s still scoring at a 40G pace other months.

edit: your extrapolations are very disingenuous

OilCanada92

May 1, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
17-18:

2 games in: 1G...

If we’re using tiny sample sizes why not!

He’s one of the most dangerous shooters almost every single night. He might start off Octobers hot but that’s not really a streaky player considering he’s still scoring at a 40G pace other months.

edit: your extrapolations are very disingenuous
Well, I'm talking about hot streaks. Any hockey fan can look at his game by game page and come to the same conclusion about when they generally finish. Maybe there'd be some disagreement on whether they should be increased or decreased by a game or two but the evidence would still come to the same verdict.

At the end of the day, the guy was under a point per game for 60 CONSECUTIVE games in a season where many star players destroyed their previous career highs. That's not a player who deserves to be in the same conversation with the real superstars of the league.

If you disagree, feel free to present some evidence that will change my mind.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Considering even Leafs fans are openly starting to wonder if he's injury prone, saying injuries affect his play isn't really a positive.

"Injury prone" isnt a real thing.

But theres no denying that any player coming back from an injury will take a while to warm up

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
Everyone is prone to being streaky. Matthews is so opportunistic he'll always be a threat to score even if he's having an off night/week.

POVERTY

Leafs and Marchand fan
Sep 27, 2017
If Matthews is considered streaky I'll take a streaky player on my team any day

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Streaky producer, consistent goal scorer. Hasn't ever really had a good finisher on his line to pot the amount of chances he generates. That might change this season. Would have been PPG in his rookie season were it not for Hyman.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

Coach

Dec 18, 2010
Are either of you going to own up to being dead wrong?
Why I wrote this before Matthews again started the seasons first 5 games averaging over a goal a game. I still don't see a playoff example where he has averaged over a goal a game.
Going back to Matthews first game where he scored 4 goal.
He averages more goals to start the season than he has in the playoffs.
Bet again he will score more goals in the first 7 games of the season than he scores in the first round of the playoffs.

LilySmoov

May 14, 2011
Why I wrote this before Matthews again started the seasons first 5 games averaging over a goal a game. I still don't see a playoff example where he has averaged over a goal a game.
Going back to Matthews first game where he scored 4 goal.
He averages more goals to start the season than he has in the playoffs.
Bet again he will score more goals in the first 7 games of the season than he scores in the first round of the playoffs.
Well if that banal truism was your only point, then nevermind.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
TIL that anything under a goal per game in the playoffs is unacceptable.

:facepalm:

Literally everybody in history is a bad playoff performer.

Well he had a bad series as well, so we should probably use his career playoff goals per game to bring it down.

Wait 0.5 GPG is still top-20 all time and 3rd among active players. Sure, small sample size, but it's better than the non-existent sample size of him scoring poorly in the playoffs.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Streaky now, but has a ton of room for growth (scary thought). If he improves his consistency.... I don't want to think of how good he could be. However, most goalscorers are streaky.

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
I think the announcer during tonight's game said something like "18 goals for Matthews' in his last 19 october games".

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Well he had a bad series as well, so we should probably use his career playoff goals per game to bring it down.

Wait 0.5 GPG is still top-20 all time and 3rd among active players. Sure, small sample size, but it's better than the non-existent sample size of him scoring poorly in the playoffs.

Meanwhile the sheeple of HF have annointed him as the worst playoff performer in the history of the game LOL!!!

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Would like to see him show he can make his wingers better by producing more assists. 1 assist in 7 games does not illustrate a high level of puck distribution. Elite goal scorer, but mediocre playmaker. Most elite Centers can do both.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
There's a really good thread on the Toronto Maple Leafs subreddit right now that discusses Matthews' scoring rates. To sum it up in one line: Auston Matthews scores in more of his games than any other player.

Matthews scores in 42.9% of the games he plays in, the next closest is Kucherov is 41.9%.

j1QyM8p.png

He goes through hot and cold streaks just like every player, but he literally scores more often than any other player in the league throughout his career.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
There's a really good thread on the Toronto Maple Leafs subreddit right now that discusses Matthews' scoring rates. To sum it up in one line: Auston Matthews scores in more of his games than any other player.

Matthews scores in 42.9% of the games he plays in, the next closest is Kucherov is 41.9%.

j1QyM8p.png

He goes through hot and cold streaks just like every player, but he literally scores more often than any other player in the league throughout his career.
/thread

Reactions: Sundinisagod
Jul 10, 2003
KW

j1QyM8p.png

You and your silly facts. Here uninformed opinions >>> statistics.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Would like to see him show he can make his wingers better by producing more assists. 1 assist in 7 games does not illustrate a high level of puck distribution. Elite goal scorer, but mediocre playmaker. Most elite Centers can do both.

There is nothing "mediocre" about his game.

Matthews is simply the most talented scorer on his team so the team feeds HIM more than he feeds them. Kinda like Steven Stamkos, who has usually always posted more goals than he has assists.

Stamkos and Matthews are both "elite Centres". That's just how they play.

Look for Matthews to end up somewhere around 50 goals and 40-50 assists this season.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad