Is austin matthews even in the conversation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Yeah they really tore it up in the post season last year on the back of Matthews, didn't they? Oh wait
What a terrible post. Guy scored 4 goals in his first 6 playoff games in the NHL and you're going to call him out for not carrying his team to the 2nd round after a series that went to OT 5/6 games vs. the best team in the league?

Sweeeeet.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
For how long though, another week?
Who knows? Nashville made the finals last year as a wild card team, it's not out of the realm of possibility for the Leafs to make a deep run. Maybe in your world.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I wonder how many people actually said he was top 3? Maybe 5? Or less?
I don't know, but you are right that maybe it is Leaf haters trying to paint the fans as saying things. I'm just looking from the outside and don't really care either way really.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
Who knows? It's better to be in the race then handing out little cups of water to the runners up on the sidelines though isn't it?
I guess that depends on what you consider a happy life to be. I'd rather be grinding it out helping others than singing my own praises over one good year. If you're the type to only find joy in winning then I suppose that might be a better end result. I mean, there are a lot of ways to conceivably feel about that question. It's actually a pretty dumb thing to ask.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
I think the playoffs are more like 2 weeks away, and then they have to play that first round which can take up to 2 weeks also (I know because I booked some time off for the start of the playoffs)
Is the first round really that long these days? Enjoy your vacation dude.

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
I guess that depends on what you consider a happy life to be. I'd rather be grinding it out helping others than singing my own praises over one good year. If you're the type to only find joy in winning then I suppose that might be a better end result. I mean, there are a lot of ways to conceivably feel about that question. It's actually a pretty dumb thing to ask.

...........think you are making too much of it man. I'm just talking about hockey. I'd rather make the playoffs with a minute chance of doing anything (Matthews), rather than stuck on a terrible team with no chance at anything (Eichel).

Reactions: La Masse

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
incredulous.gif

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Torontos my second favorite team... and ive heard many attempts to include him in the mcdavid/crosby debate for best player

My argument is against all 3 guys as mostly 1 way players... you need a much more gretzky/lemieux level of domination if you want to be called best player in nhl as just a scorer

There really isnt alot of difference scoring between these top guys

But some clearly play a better brand of defense with more physicality

I just thought with all the matthews hype he might be closer to the discussion... but hes not

Who do you think is the best player in the NHL?

And no, I'm not suggesting Matthews is currently.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
...........think you are making too much of it man. I'm just talking about hockey. I'd rather make the playoffs with a minute chance of doing anything (Matthews), rather than stuck on a terrible team with no chance at anything (Eichel).
I think I've made my point

Reactions: Raging Bull

Cotton

May 13, 2013
It has everything to do with the thread if he can't outperform a 'lesser' player on a terrible team head to head. Matthews isn't even the best player in a 150 mile radius.

It has nothing to do with the thread, as nobody said what the OP is claiming, and what he’s claiming has nothing to do with Jack Eichel anyway.

I don’t even care that you want to derp about Eichel>Matthews, your free to do that, but why not just start your own thread.

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
As a Leaf fan living in Edmonton and watching Leafs games on tv all the time while attending a fair share of Oilers game live I can comfortably say he is not as good Connor Mcdavid is right now.

Having said that Matthews is one of my favorite players to watch due to his work ethic and his hand eye coordination and wicked shot. The kid can't even legally drink in the states yet and has already made a huge impact on a team that had no hope 3 years ago.

He also plays for the biggest media junkie market in the NHL with the biggest fan base so of course he's gonna get a bit overhyped and some flak on the outside just for being overhyped even though its not exactly his fault. I just enjoy and watch him for what he is.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
Matthews is so overrated his critics can't stop talking about him any chance they get. His troll bait posts per game is off the charts.

Reactions: valet

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
LOL at Leafs fans trying their revisionist history bullshit and tryin to act like they didn't pencil Matthews in right next to McDavid as one of the top tier players in the league. One look at the NHL.com stats pages will show you how stupid that it. But it took them 2 years of justifying Matthews with loose puck retreivals, "elite" defensive skills, goals = 3 points, and Leafs are winning and your team isn't type arguments before they finally threw in the towel and now admit that he's barely a top 20 player.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Matthews is just "really f***ing good" at this point. And as good as he already is the idea of his future potential is also on display regularly.

He's not even close to top 3 and Leafs fans don't care, we don't need to worry about that as we have other players who are "really f***ing good" that also exhibit future upside potential just not as much as Matthews so he gets a bit of hype for sure.

Leafs would still be a playoff team and on the upswing without him, actually.

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Personally, I've never said or thought he was better than McDavid or Crosby and have never called him a top five or 10 player. I'm sure some do overrate him, but they don't represent every single Leafs fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad