Is austin matthews even in the conversation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009

How about the rest of them h2h?

Eichel owns the leafs, not so much for Matthews with the Sabres.
I'm sure Matthews will take those stats every year if it means being in the playoffs, and I'm sure Eichel would too if he could.

Next.

Reactions: La Masse

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
DZQjjGgX4AIR-5j.jpg

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
I've watched Matthews a bunch on TV and seen him play several times in person and he is the real deal. Whenever he has the puck the game seems to be played at his tempo, which is a rare ability in a player. I think he's still battling some type of injury because he looked dominant before he went down for all those games early in the year.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
His goal scoring pace is pretty good. In a 82 game season, it translates to a 43 goal season. But yes, actually doing it over the course of a season is far more impressive than a pace over a 55 game span

You mean like his season last year?

What a dumb thread. We get it HFBoards, none of you think very highly AM. We're okay with that, I guess we will keep that garbage...we'll cry ourselves to sleep thinking about our 22 year old core that is carrying this franchise to the playoffs again.

We also understand that almost every young player is better than him, and most older players too.

3 years ago, the entire franchise is being mocked. Now, the haters are targetting Matthews because there are literally 0 negative aspects to the future of this team.

I've never enjoyed hockey more, I feel bad for those of you who lurk in here just waiting on a stat or comparison to cherry pick.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
For a player who is not "in the conversation" there sure is a lot of talk about him from non Leafs fans on HF.

Seems to me like he's in lots of conversations.

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
Now explain what this has to do with the thread.
It has everything to do with the thread if he can't outperform a 'lesser' player on a terrible team head to head. Matthews isn't even the best player in a 150 mile radius.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Yeah, he's definitely not.

Has the potential to be but only the most bias of Leafs fans and media actually put him in that conversation right now. They're just an extremely vocal minority unfortunately.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
It has everything to do with the thread if he can't outperform a 'lesser' player on a terrible team head to head. Matthews isn't even the best player in a 150 mile radius.

Eichel .82 ppg
Matthews .88 ppg

Or are you the type that extrapolates 1 game into an entire career?

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT

I understand being a Buffalo fan is tough, but try to look at things outside of a useless matchup which gave you nothing but more points away from the bottom of league. Matty will be lacing up his skates while Jack is wiping off his irons.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
You mean like his season last year?

What a dumb thread. We get it HFBoards, none of you think very highly AM. We're okay with that, I guess we will keep that garbage...we'll cry ourselves to sleep thinking about our 22 year old core that is carrying this franchise to the playoffs again.

We also understand that almost every young player is better than him, and most older players too.

3 years ago, the entire franchise is being mocked. Now, the haters are targetting Matthews because there are literally 0 negative aspects to the future of this team.

I've never enjoyed hockey more, I feel bad for those of you who lurk in here just waiting on a stat or comparison to cherry pick.
I was actually saying nice things about him, like that he had a 43 goal pace. If there's any hint of criticism from my post it is because the OP was literally talking about Matthews as a top 3 player in the league, or in that range. It's a crazy high standard and perhaps he's just a tier below that atm. And hey, if a scoring pace really mattered, then how in hell did McDavid not win the Calder that year he was injured for half of it? Don't worry. If Matthews can keep up his pace and even improve, he will get his due respect.

Reactions: Dustin

Tonka

OFFSIDE
Apr 8, 2007
Top 3 goal scorer, probably. His playmaking ability is way below par though.

This is such a ridiculous thing to say...his playmaking may actually be his stronger suit.
He is only in his second year, and not even given a full season.

As far as this thread, Matthews is not a top 5 player yet...that is known.

La Masse

May 5, 2016
Gatineau,Quebec

So Jack is the better player because he has more points then Matthews head to head?

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
I was actually saying nice things about him, like that he had a 43 goal pace. If there's any hint of criticism from my post it is because the OP was literally talking about Matthews as a top 3 player in the league, or in that range. It's a crazy high standard and perhaps he's just a tier below that atm. And hey, if a scoring pace really mattered, then how in hell did McDavid not win the Calder that year he was injured for half of it? Don't worry. If Matthews can keep up his pace and even improve, he will get his due respect.

I wonder how many people actually said he was top 3? Maybe 5? Or less?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad