Is austin matthews even in the conversation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
So alot of maple leaf fans want to argue that austin matthews is already one of the top 3 or so players in the game and that he scores with the best when healthy. I wanted to see who is the best scorer in nhl over past 134 games. I used 134 because thats the number malkin got into and i wanted equal number for the 6 contenders

Here over past 134 regular season games is real scoring numbers

#1 Connor mcdavid 58-110 -168
#2 evgeni malkin 75-89-164
#3 nikita kucherov 72-90-162
#4 sidney crosby 65-94-159
#5 brad marchand 68-88-156

Far behind
austin matthews 65-51-116

Got to give mcjesus credit... hes number 1... but malkin has way more goals and helped his team to a cup w7n

Of course malkin gets alot of help from crosby

Anyone surprised to see how close marchand is to these elite scorers?

Matthews may belong in this conversation as early as next year... but anyone putting him here now cant defend their position with any facts

And people who want to ignore marchand... might find this post upsetting

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
I hope the poor kid doesn’t read HF on his off or injured days because his confidence may take a hit

Then again if he reads after he scores four in a game he might be so high on compliments he cant come down

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
If he isn't , stop making threads.
HFboards already deemed him overrated.
I'm ok with that. Go leafs go.

razor8

Nov 28, 2017
He's a great player that's only going to get better, but I don't think anyone actually believes that he's a top 3 player right now.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
No. The hype train was going full steam ahead for a while, but it's tapered off. He could be one day, but isn't now.

Nick1219

Mar 15, 2012
Who thinks he's a top 3 player in the league? Would love to see that so I can laugh at them.

HenrikW

Feb 21, 2018
Some Leaf fans would say he is top 3 already. Can't blame them for homerism, there's always fans like that. I think it could be fair to say Matthews has top 3 potentional though. It's only his 2nd year. Too early to tell

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Some Leaf fans would say he is top 3 already. Can't blame them for homerism, there's always fans like that. I think it could be fair to say Matthews has top 3 potentional though. It's only his 2nd year. Too early to tell
This, he's a top 10 C now with the potential to be in the cream of the crop

Reactions: ItchyScratchy77

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
The kid has some elite skills, and could end up being in the top 3 when he hits his prime. He deserves to be in the conversation based on that potential. He doesn't get very far in the conversation right now, because there are more than 3 guys who are in the conversation based on actual production, and not just potential. In 3-4 years, I think top 10 is almost a lock, but top 3? Only time will tell.

Reactions: TIGERCOOL

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
If he played in any other market he would be considered to be a great player and he is, but most of the media and some of the fans have deemed him generational and he just isn't there yet.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
WTF does top 3 mean anyway??? According to HF, there are currently 16 players in the top 3...honestly we couldn't get a consensus of a legit top 3 in the league if we tried, but create stupid threads...now that we should create top 3's on!

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017

No Leafs fan says this, I think at the most extreme end of things (less than 5%) would say that he's a top 3 center, even then they are in an EXTREME minority.

Most Leafs fans probably picture Auston in the 15-30 range and most agree that he has the potential with his goal scoring and effective defensive play to be a top 5 guy one day.

I have not heard anyone say that he is top 5 right now, especially with how his injury ridden season has gone.

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Right... I doubt anyone has said this. And if you take them seriously I don't know what to tell you.

Sounds like you're just making stuff up so you can **** on a player/fanbase you dislike.

Torontos my second favorite team... and ive heard many attempts to include him in the mcdavid/crosby debate for best player

My argument is against all 3 guys as mostly 1 way players... you need a much more gretzky/lemieux level of domination if you want to be called best player in nhl as just a scorer

There really isnt alot of difference scoring between these top guys

But some clearly play a better brand of defense with more physicality

I just thought with all the matthews hype he might be closer to the discussion... but hes not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad