Is austin matthews even in the conversation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
He's a great player that's only going to get better, but I don't think anyone actually believes that he's a top 3 player right now.

While the majority definitely doesn't, there were a fair amount of Leaf fans who promised us that Matthews was going to be considered better or just as good as McDavid by the end of the season and we'll "see".

Reactions: Thrive

Craig Button

The C is for Coward - Brad Marchand 2024
Jul 28, 2015
Leaf Nation Torontonistan
DEEEEEEEEEEEERP

opie1.png

peter-on-the-toilet.png

Matthews4Calder

Nov 27, 2016
BC Western Canada
I think you forgot Ehlers and Connor.

Really. The debate between Matthews and Laine will go on forever. How you can rate Laine ahead of Matthews is hilarious. Before Matthews went down early in the season he was in the top 3 in scoring, was on a tear before he got sidelined. The guy plays a more difficult position and can control a game. Laine doesn't. Just a pure sniper with almost 50% of his points on the powerplay. If you pollled all 31 general managers I be very surprised if they had a choice of having one of the 2 young stars if any would take Laine and that would include Cheveldayoff.

PenguinSpeed

Oct 4, 2017
NHL Player rankings in the Playoffs

1) Crosby
2) Malkin
3) Giroux
4) Getzlaf
5) Kane
6) Spezza
7) Kessel
8) Ovi
9) Zetterberg
10) Toews

razor8

Nov 28, 2017
While the majority definitely doesn't, there were a fair amount of Leaf fans who promised us that Matthews was going to be considered better or just as good as McDavid by the end of the season and we'll "see".

Well, those people were obviously delusional if they believed that.

On a side note: what's the obsession with top-3 that and top-5 that and generational this or that? It's like if a player isn't considered generational or top-5, then he's garbage. What happened to just very good hockey players? Not everyone can be a superstar.

Beukeboom

Apr 1, 2007
Eichel, the league's most underrated player is schooling him atm :)

I think this thread is based on a bit of a straw man. But fair enough, some posters did say Matthews and McDavid were very even at the beginning of the season. That sentiment has not held up very well these past 75 games or so.

La Masse

May 5, 2016
Gatineau,Quebec
Eichel, the league's most underrated player is schooling him atm :)

I think this thread is based on a bit of a straw man. But fair enough, some posters did say Matthews and McDavid were very even at the beginning of the season. That sentiment has not held up very well these past 75 games or so.

Sure lets compare the two on one game lol

Reactions: Rob Brown

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Pretty much the best even strength goal scorer in the league since he stepped onto the ice so whatever conversation that is hes in it. Most users on this site like to paint him as overrated i dont know if hes "generational"(because its a term with arbitrary rules) but he had a better rookie season than most superstars and in an injury plagued season he is just below ppg as someone who doesnt get top powerplay minutes and has poor luck on it.(sort of an open secret powerplay increases are responsible for most scoring increases and Matthews is far too talented to be kept off the powerplay scoresheet for long)

Anyone who underestimates this kid does so at their own risk, you think hes disapointing you are in for a disapointing decade. Alas this is hf so ill just leave the open invitation to quote me and say "lol generational" and collect at least 5 likes, your welcome.

Finnflash

May 19, 2016
Winnipeg
This is ridiculous again.

Of course he is one of the best right now in the nhl. He creates scoring chances every time he is on the ice.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
His goal scoring pace is pretty good. In a 82 game season, it translates to a 43 goal season. But yes, actually doing it over the course of a season is far more impressive than a pace over a 55 game span

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
The only thing I want to chime in with regarding that directionless OP is that Brad Marchand’s PPG can’t fairly be ignored. As wickedly good as MacKinnon has been this year, Marchand would be right there with him in the scoring race if he’d played the full season.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
He's a top 10 center imo. Right around the 10 spot. Not a top 10 player overall though too many stud defencemen and wingers to compete with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad