Is Andersen Elite?

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
He is the 16th highest paid goalie in the league. His stats suggest he is a top 10 goalie in the league.

That makes him quite valuable to us.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Good response game by Freddy. The team in front of him dominated again but this time he made the saves he should have.
I think he is still a bit rusty but that should improve with a few more games.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Andersen needs to win a cup to really make his mark. He can steal a series and our offense can steal a series. Blend that with good health and a touch better than average defense could get us to the stanley cup final.

I would be confident with Andersen going against any goalie in the league. He's not elite yet.

Solid as a rock most nights and thats large!

Ropesman

May 1, 2016
Charlottetown
Is he a top 3-5 goalie? No probably not, so no he is not elite. However if your asking if i think we can win a cup with him between the pipes, then yes i believe he is more then adequate.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Andersen is a very high end legitimate #1 starting goaltender in this league. The term "elite" to describe goalies is similar to how people like to use "generational" for certain skaters. They're just labels. Andersen is a goalie we can win a cup with one day.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
f*** it. I say he's elite. When he's on he's just as good as anyone else.

His positioning is so solid. I even notice he's improved his glovehand this year.

Before he seemed to have difficulty catching the puck, but not anymore.

Reactions: paul pearce

MikeBabchuk

Mike Bobcat
May 24, 2013
Toronto
I don't think we can win a Cup with Andersen. I think we have to call a spade a spade: Andersen is a decent starting goalie who chokes at important times. He is not elite.

He doesn't make key saves when the pressure is on.

His play for Anaheim in the playoffs when they were contenders was a red flag. His play in the playoffs for the Leafs has not helped to dispel the "choker" label.

I don't see him being traded this summer for practical reasons. However, he is a major question mark going forward.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I don't think we can win a Cup with Andersen. I think we have to call a spade a spade: Andersen is a decent starting goalie who chokes at important times. He is not elite.

He doesn't make key saves when the pressure is on.

His play for Anaheim in the playoffs when they were contenders was a red flag. His play in the playoffs for the Leafs has not helped to dispel the "choker" label.

I don't see him being traded this summer for practical reasons. However, he is a major question mark going forward.

Can't win with that defence more so.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
if we can trade him to a team that needs a goalie for their 1st, i'd do it in a heartbeat

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Andersen will not be elite until he stops letting in easy goals, too often, maintains a .930 save percentage, keeps a 2.00 or below goals against average, and, management acquires at least 3 competent D men!

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
He's had long stretches in the regular season where he's been elite, but not in the playoffs.

To be truly elite, he's gotta prove it in the post season.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Mchelhinney brother

McElhinney as your starter gives you the worst starter in the league, most likely. If not worst maybe bottom 3. He is a very good backup, but as a starter he would be bottom of the league. He is not a starter. Andersen is at least average. Give him a better D and see how he does then. Come on, 3 of the 6 D are close to garbage. Polak is Polak, Zaitsev was brutal this season, Gardiner lacks a brain.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
McElhinney as your starter gives you the worst starter in the league, most likely. If not worst maybe bottom 3. He is a very good backup, but as a starter he would be bottom of the league. He is not a starter. Andersen is at least average. Give him a better D and see how he does then. Come on, 3 of the 6 D are close to garbage. Polak is Polak, Zaitsev was brutal this season, Gardiner lacks a brain.
We can always sign a free agent goalie.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Andersen will not be elite until he stops letting in easy goals, too often, maintains a .930 save percentage, keeps a 2.00 or below goals against average, and, management acquires at least 3 competent D men!
There are no goalies with those stats.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad