Is Andersen Elite?

MikeBabchuk

Mike Bobcat
May 24, 2013
Toronto
We have all heard about how Andersen faces the most shots in the league. However, there are also a lot of questions about his style of play and his ability to make key saves.

For example, he ends up flopping around in the crease a lot, seemingly having issues with staying upright in the crease. Relatedly, his lateral mobility is questionable at best. In fact, he often looks slow and struggles to make his way across the crease. It is not clear how Andersen, as a big, heavy goalie, fits into the new NHL.

Further, his puck-playing, while attempted frequently, also results in a comparatively high number of mistakes and giveaways compared to the league average. He does not always look comfortable handling the puck.

Another concern is that since he has called out his teammates, his play has been shaky at best. Relatedly, he has a tendency to let in untimely goals, and it is not clear that he thrives under pressure. Just look at his questionable play on an elite Anaheim team in the playoffs.

When looking at the other goalies in the league, I find myself ranking Andersen in the middle of the pack at best. I am not convinced, then, that he is our long-term option in goal. There are just too many uncertainties about him remaining.

DontPanik

Jul 3, 2015
Martin, Slovakia
We have all heard about how Andersen faces the most shots in the league. However, there are also a lot of questions about his style of play and his ability to make key saves.

For example, he ends up flopping around in the crease a lot, seemingly having issues with staying upright in the crease. Relatedly, his lateral mobility is questionable at best. In fact, he often looks slow and struggles to make his way across the crease. It is not clear how Andersen, as a big, heavy goalie, fits into the new NHL.

Further, his puck-playing, while attempted frequently, also results in a comparatively high number of mistakes and giveaways compared to the league average. He does not always look comfortable handling the puck.

Another concern is that since he has called out his teammates, his play has been shaky at best. Relatedly, he has a tendency to let in untimely goals, and it is not clear that he thrives under pressure. Just look at his questionable play on an elite Anaheim team in the playoffs.

When looking at the other goalies in the league, I find myself ranking Andersen in the middle of the pack at best. I am not convinced, then, that he is our long-term option in goal. There are just too many uncertainties about him remaining.
I find myself agreeing with every point you have presented. Andersen is a mediocre goaltender at the very best. You are right when it comes to his balance problems and his ability to stand up like a normal NHL goalie. On a similar note, I also agree with the fact that he is not a very mobile goalie and that he is not up to speed with the modern style of play.
The leafs should really take action on this situation. Maybe by giving another guy on the team a shot at the starting job, or maybe just ship him away to another team that has the ability to deal with his multiple flaws.

OppositeLocK

Nov 18, 2017
No. Few goalies are Elite.

If you’re not destined for the HHOF, you’re not Elite.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

Wow!! Andersen is the teams MVP for my vote!

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
So far in an 82 game season (this year and last) he has definitely been one of high level starters in the league.
The playoffs remain to be seen as last year he posted a 1st round save percentage of .915. This will need to be better.
When we round out the team with more depth, solidify the D pairing and address a speedier,aggressive fore-check to compliment the skill, I believe he is solid enough to be a goalie you can win the Cup with.

DontPanik

Jul 3, 2015
Martin, Slovakia
If having a goaltender perform at near-elite level with the toughest usage in the league is not enough, you are likely never going to be satisfied with your goaltender. You don't judge a goaltender based on whether or not he has flaws.
If your definition of "near-elite" is falling down in the crease and not being able to get up, then we definitely have an elite goalie.

Reactions: Keanu Reeves

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
If your definition of "near-elite" is falling down in the crease and not being able to get up, then we definitely have an elite goalie.

Nahhh he's right bro. You are a bit picky. Doninik Hasek was the most floppy, scrambling goalie i have ever seen. Wins, goals against and save percentage don't get qualified by style points.

Andersens calmness in net should not be confused with not able to get up. He track pucks so well when he is down. I have seen him make numerous saves while on his arse.

You are way to picky son!

Reactions: 7even

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
There's only a few truly elite guys like King Henry, Quick, Bobrovsky, Price and even they have rough patches.

Then there's a big cluster of legitimate # 1 guys like Freddie.

So no he's not elite but he's a legitimate high end # 1 goalie.

Reactions: The Cobra

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Too many bad stretches to be considered elite. Elite goaltenders are consistently at the top of the charts in most categories.

He's pretty good though.

Reactions: Menzinger

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
I’m with Nith. I have him near-elite as well. My worry that he’ll break down with so much usage is starting to fade. He is our team’s MVP and I’m very very happy we have him.

If we improve our defense next year, I can see him winning a Vezina

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Nah. Probably not even top 10 in the league.

He's been one of the best goalies we've had in probably the past decade and a bit, but he's also had the best defense (pretty much by far) we've had over that time as well.

Reactions: Keanu Reeves

SnizzNasty88

Mar 31, 2013
Toronto
Not elite yet, but a very good goalie, definitely top 12 in the league. Has the potential to be elite if we put a better defense in front of him, but considering how well Freddy has played behind our trash defense, he’s given us elite level goaltending.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I’m with Nith. I have him near-elite as well. My worry that he’ll break down with so much usage is starting to fade. He is our team’s MVP and I’m very very happy we have him.

If we improve our defense next year, I can see him winning a Vezina

Starts up front. Everyone thinks Doughty, OEL, Tanev, or Karlsson is what we need to be a better team but we need a better effort from our forwards more than anything. Really there is no reason why Rielly-Hainsey with the way they are playing alongside Gardiner and Zaitsev at the levels they should be capable of playing is not a top 4 on the top half of the NHL, if not top 10.

Sure the bottom pairing is not the best, but you could definitely do worse as well. We also have a lot coming in as well. Borgman will get there eventually. Dermott will get there as well. Liljegren looks close. Then with more time we have a lot of raw, toolsy guys who have a really good shot to make it if they keep working hard and there is a spot for them. You do not have a defense like you do on the Marlies without guys like Nielsen, Rosen and Valiev providing depth behind Marincin, Dermott and Liljegren.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
He struggles to get going after breaks in the schedule. October, January, post all-star. When he's in his routine for long stretches of games he's very very good.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
On the precipice. At the moment he's a high-end, above average starter who is good enough to win with. Consistency is the only negative holding him back.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
I don't know.

But I think he is good enough to win. I do. With the right team in front of him.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
The Hockey News put him at 14th I think? That was just a week or so ago. Not saying that number is the end all and be all but it suggests he's probably not top 5 so Elite is probably not a fair call. He might be trending that way though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->