Is Andersen Elite?

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Just stop. Give it a rest. "Bernier is worth his money" I get it you lived under a rock during Bernier's time with the Leafs you missed how many bad nights he had. LOL
There were more goalies listed than just berneir. Also I did not live under a rock. I watched bernier and his 3 years here. Bernier was just like Andersen. A goalie that can be great at times but awful at other times. I'd rather have him at 2 million than Andersen at 5

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
There were more goalies listed than just berneir. Also I did not live under a rock. I watched bernier and his 3 years here. Bernier was just like Andersen. A goalie that can be great at times but awful at other times. I'd rather have him at 2 million than Andersen at 5
I know there was a list of them. But like I said in another post, you would complain about the next goalie that replaces Andersen. Also had a good laugh at you calling Mcelhinney a starter

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
I know there was a list of them. But like I said in another post, you would complain about the next goalie that replaces Andersen. Also had a good laugh at you calling Mcelhinney a starter
I never said he was a starter. I just said we can put him there. It'll be an an experiment to see whether he is good enough to hold that role, Just like it was with Andersen, but much much much more cheaper.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
We really need to manage his minutes next season to avoid another implosion down the stretch.

There's no reason we can't get 25-30 games out of McBackup and/or Sparks.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
We really need to manage his minutes next season to avoid another implosion down the stretch.

I read somewhere that Freddy plays better with the increased course load, but it was a little much for anyone I think.

he's a solid goalie with consistency issues. I have no worries about him with an improved D

MikeBabchuk

Mike Bobcat
May 24, 2013
Toronto
I wonder if Edmonton would be willing to part with Talbot. He's cheaper and expiring after next year, giving the Leafs flexibility.

HerculePoirot

Mar 9, 2012
I read somewhere that Freddy plays better with the increased course load, but it was a little much for anyone I think.

he's a solid goalie with consistency issues. I have no worries about him with an improved D

Exactly. Improve the D is the first step.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Looking through Andersen's playoff career stats, this year is an outlier. Hopefully, he can prove that he is elite next year in the playoffs.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario

imo it's not necessarily games played Quick as an example played only 3 less games but faced almost 350 less shots. that's the issue, if we fix the Defense and can be say top 10 in shots against instead of 4th worst. Andersen could play the games he did.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
I wonder if Edmonton would be willing to part with Talbot. He's cheaper and expiring after next year, giving the Leafs flexibility.

Flexibility to do what?

Throwing a good starting goalie away so you can have a worse one for a shorter time makes no sense. After Talbot's contract ends you have no starting goalie. That's not flexibility, it's a disaster. Do you remember what it was like not having a legit #1G?

This team spent years trying to plug that hole with whatever they could find. Bernier and Reimer were the closest ones in the last decade before Andersen. I don't think "flexibility" should come at the cost of starting another goalie search.

Andersen faced more shots than any other goaltender this season, was 4th in wins (behind 3 vezina candidates), and posted a very good SV% behind a poor defence.

All that while being the 16th highest paid at his position. For anyone thinking he should be paid less, tell me how many goalies as good are paid less. Care to name them? Here's the next few goalies behind him in the pay scale, in order: Bishop, Halak, Allen, Dubnyk, Anderson, Talbot, Darling, Mason, Lehner, Mrazek. There's (maybe) two guys on that list that are better bang for the buck. Where does anyone think we can get a better deal than Andersen? Aside from home-grown goalies who are in their early 20s, no one will give you better for less.

That isn't a goalie you need to get away from. He's a goalie you can win with.

Reactions: Suntouchable13

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
a goalie is really defined by their weak goals, some goals are pure snipes from great shots, some go through screens or tip and you cant even see, off great passing side to side goals are tough too, and then sometimes its a weak looking goal

elite goalies dont let in that many that often at all, i have a hard time calling him a great goalie cause andy makes a lot of saves and big saves, but he lets in too many questionable ones to be called anything more than a good or very good goalie

a very good goalie is hard to find tons of teams lining up for a super solid enough young goalie, im more than happy with that for now, of course i want an elite one like all teams want that legit 1c and 1d as well

MikeBabchuk

Mike Bobcat
May 24, 2013
Toronto
Flexibility to do what?

Throwing a good starting goalie away so you can have a worse one for a shorter time makes no sense. After Talbot's contract ends you have no starting goalie. That's not flexibility, it's a disaster. Do you remember what it was like not having a legit #1G?

This team spent years trying to plug that hole with whatever they could find. Bernier and Reimer were the closest ones in the last decade before Andersen. I don't think "flexibility" should come at the cost of starting another goalie search.

Andersen faced more shots than any other goaltender this season, was 4th in wins (behind 3 vezina candidates), and posted a very good SV% behind a poor defence.

All that while being the 16th highest paid at his position. For anyone thinking he should be paid less, tell me how many goalies as good are paid less. Care to name them? Here's the next few goalies behind him in the pay scale, in order: Bishop, Halak, Allen, Dubnyk, Anderson, Talbot, Darling, Mason, Lehner, Mrazek. There's (maybe) two guys on that list that are better bang for the buck. Where does anyone think we can get a better deal than Andersen? Aside from home-grown goalies who are in their early 20s, no one will give you better for less.

That isn't a goalie you need to get away from. He's a goalie you can win with.

I've made it clear that I think we need to add a top-four D man. That doesn't absolve Andersen of the soft goals and poor play that seem to plague him at the worst times.

It's not one or the other; it's both. You have to be able to evaluate both the D and the goaltending because one can't function without the other, ultimately.

Soft goals are on the goalie though—period.

We've spent years blaming the defence for our terrible goaltending. Right now, we have a better but still flawed team and defence and yet Andersen's numbers and play are not any better than Bernier's and Reimer's. Granted, he played more games than most goalies, hence he faced the most shots in the league, but as much as people love to keep repeating that, it doesn't tell you much, and it doesn't consider the potentially disproportionate amount of rebounds that Andersen lets out compared to other goalies.

I'm not advocating for getting rid of Andersen without a viable replacement. That said, Talbot is intriguing (buy low), and right now we are burying Sparks and Pickard who are both potentially NHL goalies.

Last edited:

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
He's a very good goalie but until he's more consistent he's not elite. Elite goalies don't have a month where we expect them to be bad. October Andersen doesn't happen to elite goalies.

Beaumaris

May 21, 2015
Got to be consistent to be elite,and you have to be able to shut
the door when your team gives you a late lead.

Reactions: Al14

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
imo it's not necessarily games played Quick as an example played only 3 less games but faced almost 350 less shots. that's the issue, if we fix the Defense and can be say top 10 in shots against instead of 4th worst. Andersen could play the games he did.

Fair point. Maybe it's a bit of both. He needs to play slightly fewer games next season in front of a stingier defence core.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Not elite but he will certainly do. Short of trading for Price or Rinne or something, we aren't going to get any better.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Nope, he's not elite. He'll be the Leafs goalie for another 3 years and we'll go another route.

He's paid 5M and I am not sure our cap structure in the future will allow for a 5M goalie to suck in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad