Is Andersen Elite?

MikeBabchuk

Mike Bobcat
May 24, 2013
Toronto
To not run with a backup goalie as a starter?

You could argue trading for Bernier was a mistake but it was an easy one to make because of his pedigree.

In the end both were garbage.

Since when has any other team thrown its 24 year old starter under the bus like that? I'm sorry but it was a terrible decision and we ended up with Reimer being disgruntled and Bernier being a bust.

If I were you, I wouldn't bother defending David Nono. He was the worst GM imaginable and this is only one example of his braindead decisions, in all fairness.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
i think its pretty conclusive that andy is not a bad goalie, nor is he an elite goalie, but right in that very good goalie middle

Reactions: MikeBabchuk

luvdahattymatty

Apr 8, 2018
It is a Toronto thing to throw goalies under the bus. Terrible stuff we do. Reimer was treated really bad. With a much worse defence and a one line forward group he won 2 games in 2013 all by himself. Go watch the tapes they were 50 save games in games 5 and 6 with many breakaways, 2 on 1's, slot shots, etc. It was a miracle we won those games. Minimum 10 10 bellers in each game minimum. Game 7 I don't want to discuss but goals 2 3 and 4 were all Chara and no one on Leafs defence esp Phaneuf wanted any part of it. You can save what you can't see. Goal 5 yes broke my heart and yes all on Reims with bad rebound control. He even said it himself.

However game 7 2018 3rd period we need a few saves on some relatively easy shots. No one asked him to make a 10 beller. Just save the every day shot. He couldn't do it. That is why I am not sure about his mental fortitude under pressure. I think most Leaf fans are like me we want him to be the guy but game 7 goals 4 and 5 just keep coming up in nightmares. So another solid 2019 season will be fine but it will mean nothing until next playoffs. If it happens again then it will likely be his last in a Leaf uniform.

MikeBabchuk

Mike Bobcat
May 24, 2013
Toronto
Philly with Bobrovsky.

Yeah, good call. Although the one asterisk is that he just couldn't stop a beach ball in the playoffs for them in that first year. Still, it looks pretty bad for them now. It's never a guarantee that a young guy like that will be a starter, but it's just poor asset management and unfair to the young goalie to throw him under the bus that fast. Philly sure would like that one back when you look at it now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad