Is Abdelkader worth his current contract?

• Thread starter CloneHakanPlease*
  • Start date

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Abdlkader has always been overrated garbage.

His physicality is complete garbage. He is fake tough and doesn't wear you down with his supposed physicality.

The guy is a bum.

WorkingOvertime

Apr 30, 2011
This is silly logic.

Isn't it possible that teams are keying on Zetterberg's line because Datsyuk's line essentially shuts itself down?

The Dats line has been matched up against the top-2 lines of every team they have played during the recent ~10 games, while also not catching many third D pairings. It's not like Columbus sent out the Boll line to counter Dats- the Boll line was matched against the Tatar line for most of the weekend.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Datsyuk doesn't need someone to "push the piano..." Datsyuk can play AND push.

Look at his assist on Kindl's goal yesterday... Wins a battle on the boards, makes a move, scoops it to Kindl, and scores.

If you saw the game, you must have seen that it was Abdelkader, who made a perfect screen in that Kindl goal.

You don't get credit by points of those efforts but it was as important as the Datsyuk board battle, the pass and Kindl's shot.

Everything comes together. Without that screen, it would have just another easy cherry pick for Bobrovsky.

BF3

Boom Roasted.
Dec 30, 2011
Cbus
Babcock puts Abby on the 2nd line and NOW we care about his contract? His cap hit (1.8m) is less than Tootoo (1.9m) - they are both 20 point 4th liners, and Abby is 4 years younger. Why is this suddenly of great importance, again? 4th liners are a 1.5-2m cap hit. He's in line with market value. If the 4th line was currently Anyone-Abby-Tootoo this wouldn't be a topic.

RedWingsNow*

Babcock puts Abby on the 2nd line and NOW we care about his contract? His cap hit (1.8m) is less than Tootoo (1.9m) - they are both 20 point 4th liners, and Abby is 4 years younger. Why is this suddenly of great importance, again? 4th liners are a 1.5-2m cap hit. He's in line with market value. If the 4th line was currently Anyone-Abby-Tootoo this wouldn't be a topic.

This idea that fourthliners should make $1.5 to $2M is bizarre

WingedWheel1988

The Captain
Jan 29, 2013
Columbus, OH
I didn't hate him as a lower line winger at first, but this year has been different. Its hard to watch him with top 6 minutes, I feel like nothing happens when he is out there (well, his stats confirm that) - but this season as a whole is going to be random with the lockout. That being said.. I think we could all tryout for that roster spot at this point.

I feel like I'm watching Jason Williams... I forget hes on the team, I will forget when he's gone..

RedWingsNow*

This is silly logic.

Isn't it possible that teams are keying on Zetterberg's line because Datsyuk's line essentially shuts itself down?

It's very possible.

You still have to respect Datsyuk. But you can really load up against the top line.

The only problem is that the Z line continues to get scored on and spend a lot of time in its own end, even with our "top pairing" of Kronwall and Ericsson out there with them.

I think this is partially due to Zetterberg's speed (and getting caught very deep on plays), and Brunner's lack of defensive chops (which are improving).

If you notice, Datsyuk isn't even bothering playing offense when Abs and Cleary have the puck. He's like a third defenseman.

This is why I say Babcock is costing the team points and needs to be fired.

Unless people believe that Mike Babcock is going to suddenly turn this team around... it's time to turn the ****ing page

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
This idea that fourthliners should make $1.5 to $2M is bizarre

Above average ones do.

Adam Burish types who play with an edge and could, potentially, score 20 points are going to fall into that range every single time. Teams love a guy like that.

As ineffective as Abdelkader has been, he'd have value in a trade. Not significant, but there are teams who could use his services. And I know this because several teams sign guys like Adam Burish every season to the same contract.

we like our team*

i'd take a 4th liner with a useful, specific skill set over a guy like abdelkader

opivy

Sauce King
Sep 14, 2011
Columbus, OH
I was referencing the Datsyuk quote from yesterday where he said that someone has to play the piano and someone has to pull it. He referenced Abdelkader as the piano puller.

WorkingOvertime

Apr 30, 2011
I still think the problem on that line is Cleary.

What does Cleary do with the Piano?
That line was broken up before the last CBJ game.
You pinned it. He isn't even strong. He's like the Kid Rock of the Red Wings. Just releasing weak hit after weak hit.
If Abby (>2 hits per game) has weak hits, what do Tatar (.5 hits per game) and Andersson (<.33 hits per game) have?

Not all of Abby's 60 hits have been big, but he has had big hits this season. Outside of Tootoo, he has had more big hits than anyone else on the team. I don't understand how someone can complain the Wings most frequent hitter is too weak, and then want to give his roster spot to players than don't have any type of hitting or toughness to their game.

we like our team*

datsyuk plays the piano while abdelkader pulls it off a very tall building

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids

Justin Abdelkader stars as the piano.

Datsyuk's offensive effectiveness aptly played by the zombie.

And.... scene.

REALLY hoping Pavel takes out a restraining order on Abby to avoid ever being on the same line with him.

Last edited:

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
Hahaha pavs gets a restraining order against abby. Not allowed within 2 zones of pavel

RedWingsNow*

Above average ones do.

Adam Burish types who play with an edge and could, potentially, score 20 points are going to fall into that range every single time. Teams love a guy like that.

As ineffective as Abdelkader has been, he'd have value in a trade. Not significant, but there are teams who could use his services. And I know this because several teams sign guys like Adam Burish every season to the same contract.

Burish is pretty mediocre.

but he's a righthanded center who wins 55 percent of his draws.

I'll take him over Abdelkader every day of the week.

You'd have to be pretty blind to take Abdelkader at his salary based on what he's done his last 40 games

(1G 1A -15 or something)

All that said, I can live with Abs as 4th line winger. Not sure about him at center.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site

When was the last time Abdelkader won a fight? When was the last time the opposition gave two ***** about what Abdelkader did? When was the last time Abdelkader had a highlight reel hit? When was the last time someone retaliated against Abdelkader and Abdelkader goded that guy into taking a stupid penalty? When was the last time the opposition even gave a second thought to Abdelkader?

Tootoo, on the other hand, is a ****ing institution in comparison to Abdelkader. People notice Tootoo when he's on the ice. They notice his hits, they notice him running his mouth, they notice his overall game. He makes the opposition think twice when he's on the ice, for one reason or the other. He makes them think about retaliating against him, fighting him, going out of their way or out of position to hit him. TWO people have called him out publicly recently, and why? Because they were still stewing over him way after the game ended.

Guys get paid based on their intangibles and, contrary to popular belief, Abdelkader has scant offerings in that department.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad