Is Abdelkader worth his current contract?

• Thread starter CloneHakanPlease*
  • Start date

RabbinsDuck

Feb 1, 2008
Brighton, MI
Exactly.. He is a 4TH LINE PLAYER. Why is everybody hating on Abby all of the sudden?

I think because it is now painfully obvious that is all he will ever be, and frankly, 4th line players can be had for less... Especially from within the organization where there is currently a logjam on forwards and there is a chance some might have more potential than Abdelkader. Personally, I hope he is trade bait - his reputation around the league seems a bit too bullish- good time to cash in.

kuick

Tatar Sauce
Aug 15, 2009
Grand Rapids
2nd line minutes = showcase? I suppose he's not doing himself any favors there. I think he might still have some mid-pick value though.

I like Abdelkader when he plays his role and hits hard. It's been a while since he's done that. Miller and Eaves have been superior bottom 6 players, which says a lot since they are waiver wire guys with cheaper salaries.
He hasn't been worth 1.7m since before he signed his extension, he doesn't really even have a spot on this team right now. Hopefully when we're healthy they ship him out, or at least bump him back down to 12/13th forward spot. His salary is a bit higher than some would like at that role.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
Geeze people. He is a 4th line player playing on the 1st/2nd line because of injuries. He isn't paid to score. He is paid to grind and play good defense on the 4th line. He is good at that. This is far from a bad signing. Calm down.

Well, aside from his freaking SWEET empty netter, he's certainly not going above and beyond in the scoring department :laugh:. Don't think he's really an effective grinder, either.

I think because it is now painfully obvious that is all he will ever be, and frankly, 4th line players can be had for less... Especially from within the organization where there is currently a logjam on forwards and there is a chance some might have more potential than Abdelkader. Personally, I hope he is trade bait - his reputation around the league seems a bit too bullish- good time to cash in.

I'm always a little surprised when I read how fans of other teams would like to have Abby- the HF standard is usually to dramatically overvalue your own roster players and prospects. I thought this was an overpay by Holland when he gave Justin the contract, and still think that's the case. Maybe Kenny was following his Ericsson formula of overpaying based on past performance but hoping the guy lives up to the deal (working out this season for Big E).

But you check the cap hit comparable players on capgeek and I'd rather have the vast majority of those guys- they're just better players. I'd love to see him dealt but highly doubt that happens. It would be entertaining to read the thoughts of HF fans of any team that traded for him after he played a season for them... I'd bet on some buyer's remorse.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I'm always a little surprised when I read how fans of other teams would like to have Abby- the HF standard is usually to dramatically overvalue your own roster players and prospects. I thought this was an overpay by Holland when he gave Justin the contract, and still think that's the case. Maybe Kenny was following his Ericsson formula of overpaying based on past performance but hoping the guy lives up to the deal (working out this season for Big E).

But you check the cap hit comparable players on capgeek and I'd rather have the vast majority of those guys- they're just better players. I'd love to see him dealt but highly doubt that happens. It would be entertaining to read the thoughts of HF fans of any team that traded for him after he played a season for them... I'd bet on some buyer's remorse.

I think he's pretty in line with his comparables. And this past offseason, it took $1.9m to sign Tootoo, and Gaustad grabbed $3m. Looking at the list from capgeek, I see a bunch of guys we'd probably complain/praise just as much as Abby. Aside from Simmonds, who was an RFA, the only guy who really stands out was Mueller. Maybe Talbot or Moen, but I hate going 5 or 4 years on older grinders.

I think Gator suffers from a grass is greener effect. He's nothing horribly special, but I don't think he's out of line with what similar players got.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
About that...

Anyways, does anyone think there is a possibility Holland is considering buying out his contract? I can see his days as numbered if Babs is shown the door.

I recall not being happy with how long it took to sign him and I felt he was over valued on his current contract. Not enough to get upset about, but if I were Ken Holland I'd approach these guys one of two ways:

1. Jonathan Ericsson pushed to get a better deal and he is living up to that contract. He's providing good value so he's perfectly fine.

2. Kyle Quincey and Justin Abdelkader pushed to get better deals and are not living up to those contracts and are not providing good value. For both of these guys I would try to trade them. They are not terrible contracts so you should be able to find takers. If not you can live with the contracts but you should trade them away if it's feasible to do so.

With a salary cap you cannot allow bad contracts to pile up, they simply eat up too much cap space.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I think Abdelkader was signed in hope he turns into a legit 3rd liner. The guy put up points in college and AHL, and this is only his third full NHL season. If he gets there he will be worth every penny but if he doesn't he's gonna be a little overpaid in my book. Playing on a scoring line currently just makes him look even worse offensively when he's not scoring. That's not really his fault though.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
I think he's pretty in line with his comparables. And this past offseason, it took $1.9m to sign Tootoo, and Gaustad grabbed $3m. Looking at the list from capgeek, I see a bunch of guys we'd probably complain/praise just as much as Abby. Aside from Simmonds, who was an RFA, the only guy who really stands out was Mueller. Maybe Talbot or Moen, but I hate going 5 or 4 years on older grinders.

I think Gator suffers from a grass is greener effect. He's nothing horribly special, but I don't think he's out of line with what similar players got.

He's pretty much a victim of circumstances and expectations. If he wasn't on a top line no one would pay him any mind. If he hadn't if showed up in the playoffs with a couple big goals no one would expect much. He is what he is a basic bottom line NHLer. If he was playing where he should be without unrealistic expectations he wouldn't be talked about.

One other thing. I think people have a bit of a skewed view of what a bottom six grinder should be. We had some pretty great players in those roles in the not too distant past. If people are going to expect grind line-esque players they are going to be surely disappointed. Not a realistic standard anymore.

we like our team*

oh yeah i remember some people getting really excited because he scored two fluke/garbage goals in the playoffs

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
no it was another error in judgement

that kind of money and term should be left for players like Prust, guys who make an actual contribution more often then not

CloneHakanPlease*

no it was another error in judgement

that kind of money and term should be left for players like Prust, guys who make an actual contribution more often then not

Agreed. Players of Abdelkader's caliber can literally be found for a million less.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Abdelkader is earning ~770k at this season. Even though he doesn't produce a single point but plays great at defensive lines, it's not a very bad contract.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Sure he hits, but thats all. And his hits are not hard at all. Remove him and get another Tootoo type of player.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
What I don't understand about some of the attitudes around here is why people are so quick to turn on players.

The Wings have had injuries and a scrappy 3rd/4th liner is asked by his team to play big minutes. He doesn't have a ton of skill but he gives 100% each shift and doesn't screw up. Every shift he's out there doing what he can for his team.

Why we're not rooting for the guy is beyond me.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
What I don't understand about some of the attitudes around here is why people are so quick to turn on players.

The Wings have had injuries and a scrappy 3rd/4th liner is asked by his team to play big minutes. He doesn't have a ton of skill but he gives 100% each shift and doesn't screw up. Every shift he's out there doing what he can for his team.

You don't get an A for effort in pro sports. It's one thing to be snakebit for a stretch, but for him it's been over 20 damn games. At some points, you need results. It's really weird that you don't seem to grasp that. Your homerism needs to get checked out and you need a healthy dose of objectivity. Also, try re-evaluating what you're cheering for. I don't root for everything associated with the Red Wings. I root for the team. If a guy is holding the team back, he's an obstacle. Right now, Abby is holding the team back. The guy just isn't working out on the top lines and a change needs to be made.

And he's a "scrappy 3rd/4th liner" that gets paid too much for what he's shown us the past couple years. Emmerton, Eaves, Miller, Andersson, Tootoo. All guys I'd rather have than Abby. Abby has 0 offensive instincts.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
You don't get an A for effort in pro sports. It's one thing to be snakebit for a stretch, but for him it's been over 20 damn games. At some points, you need results. It's really weird that you don't seem to grasp that. Your homerism needs to get checked out and you need a healthy dose of objectivity. Also, try re-evaluating what you're cheering for. I don't root for everything associated with the Red Wings. I root for the team. If a guy is holding the team back, he's an obstacle. Right now, Abby is holding the team back. The guy just isn't working out on the top lines and a change needs to be made.

And he's a "scrappy 3rd/4th liner" that gets paid too much for what he's shown us the past couple years. Emmerton, Eaves, Miller, Andersson, Tootoo. All guys I'd rather have than Abby. Abby has 0 offensive instincts.

How is any of that Abdelkader's fault? Gator hasn't done anything wrong. All he's done is give his best night in and night out. I appreciate that it isn't enough. You'll get no argument from me on that. But it seems like people want to hate the guy when he's done nothing to warrant it.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005

I was rooting for the guy until it became clear he wasn't cut out for the job.

Now I'm rooting for him to get put back where he belongs so that someone else can get a shot at it.

If they're going to insist on wheeling him out there to kill offense in the top 6, then I'm rooting for him to get off the roster.

Last edited:

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013
Cleary won't he is ufa. Sammy has no trade clause so I think he should be in the discussion. Abby is proving this year he would be worth it. CC I would rather trade for a late round pick (5-7) but if we target scuderi or something as a vet d addition he becomes expendable quick.

We have two free buyouts and should use them. Who would you think would get them?

Franzen wouldnt be a bad idea but Id probably prefer Abby and Sammy.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

the second you demand and get paid millions of dollars you get scrutinized , it comes with the territory

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad