Is Abdelkader worth his current contract?

• Thread starter CloneHakanPlease*
  • Start date

garry1221

Mar 13, 2003
Walled Lake, Mi
Visit site
This team has a lot more problems and players more overpaid than Gator right now. My guess is, if it weren't for injuries forcing 3ed/4th line players into the top 6, this thread wouldn't have existed. I've seen fans here complain about kronner's contract, Flip's contract... Hell come to think of it, I can't remember a contract passed ELC that I haven't heard a ton of complaints about.

Is there better linemates for Datsyuk? Of course there are. Why hasn't Babcock tried better linemates much??? Only he can say.

Maize and Blue

Feb 2, 2010
Michigan
Abdelkader = Mouth breather on ice,No hockey sense! Always loosing his man defensively. Can't fight. can't score.

When helm is back and 75% Abdelkader is a through in on a salary dump!

InGusWeTrust

hockey.tk
May 6, 2009
Michigan
hockey.tk
I was at the CBJ game today. I always enjoy watching Datsyuk at the game a lot more because I like to try and see how he thinks where the puck is going to be and what not. I can not believe how much abby is out of place on this line and even the PP time. 1 empty net goal. How is it possible you can't score a few goals playing with Pavel? He is one of the most creative players in the game...do some homework abby...or go home, you are drunk :help::shakehead

detgirl13

Feb 8, 2012
Abdelkader is worth nothing. I would buy him out myself if I could. I think it's better to take the loss than to have him keep taking up a roster spot. How can they continue to keep him on Datsyuk wing in spite of the fact that he has basically nothing to show for it? What a terrible waste of Datsyuk's talent.

The dead weight on this team astounds me as do the salaries they managed to get. It's completely lazy managing by Ken Holland who has failed to adapt to the changing system in the league. Instead of going out and getting the right people who can contribute to the team, he has insisted on using a an outdated system that simply will not work anymore.

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013
Abdelkader is worth nothing. I would buy him out myself if I could. I think it's better to take the loss than to have him keep taking up a roster spot. How can they continue to keep him on Datsyuk wing in spite of the fact that he has basically nothing to show for it? What a terrible waste of Datsyuk's talent.

The dead weight on this team astounds me as do the salaries they managed to get. It's completely lazy managing by Ken Holland who has failed to adapt to the changing system in the league. Instead of going out and getting the right people who can contribute to the team, he has insisted on using a an outdated system that simply will not work anymore.

I agree with this. Not only is Abdelkader not worth a spot on Datsyuks line he really shouldnt be on the team. We have plenty of young guys that are just as talented with way more upside that could use the experience and we can see what they have. Cleary, Sammy and Abdelkader are just a waste of roster spots at the moment.

Lazy managing sounds right. I just wish he would try and correct it by moving the dead weight.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Abdelkader contract is just fine for a 3rd line/4th line winger/center/grinder/penalty killer. Pretty much market valued in NHL. Goog comparable, Gregory Campbell from Boston.

Of course, now we have seen that he has zero TOP6 upside, but we have not paid him a middle6 salary. He is a little bit underachieving, but it's still a normal bottom6 contract and Abdelkader is a normal bottom6 player.

Cleary's contract is worth of a middle6 contract like he has been that middle6 guy in Detroit, if you want a good comparable. 1M higher caphit, 56% higher value.

But yes, at least now he have a new SCAPEGOAT. Hudler is gone and Ericsson is doing well, so let's kill Abdelkader! Everything including the destruction of the Universe will be Abdelkader's fault! He is killing our team! Keep on whipping boys and girls!

Last edited:

WorkingOvertime

Apr 30, 2011
What I don't understand about some of the attitudes around here is why people are so quick to turn on players.

The Wings have had injuries and a scrappy 3rd/4th liner is asked by his team to play big minutes. He doesn't have a ton of skill but he gives 100% each shift and doesn't screw up. Every shift he's out there doing what he can for his team.

Why we're not rooting for the guy is beyond me.
I agree with this. Abby isn't a great offensive player, but he isn't on a line with Dats and Mule to dangle three players, undo the goalie's jock, and pop the water bottle off the net. He is on that line to do four things- hit in the corners, retrieve the puck himself or allow Dats or Mule to retrieve the puck in the corners, stand in front of the net, and play quality D. From watching the PP the past few games, he has improved his net front presence immensely from last year.

It seems a lot of posters only look at the box score and don't watch every game- that is why you will still see some that think E is terrible, Q should be waived, etc.

Abby's worth isn't in the box score, it's in his all around play. If we do look further into stats, we see Abby has more hits than Tatar, Andersson, Dats, Z, Brunner and Flip combined. This is also more than Andersson, Eaves, and Emmerton combined. He has 17 more hits (Emmerton has 17 total) than anyone on the team. Not all of the hits are big, but they do separate the player from the puck, allowing himself or another player to retrieve the puck. For goals, I don't think his 2.2% shot percentage will stay so low- he has gotten none of the puck luck that the other bottom 6 players have.

Although Abby players better at wing, he has a better FO% than Emmertom and Andersson. He also, unlike Andersson, has a positive takeaway v. giveaway.

Abby is a 3rd/4th liner who is physical enough and defensively responsible enough to fill-in in the top-6 if he is playing with two skilled players. Abby is sought by other teams on the trade board because he is a good all around player. Unfortunately, being a good all around player isn't sexy enough for many, but it does win games. I don't understand how, in a time when the entire top-6 is struggling, Abby is the player getting the most hate.

SortaExtremist

Jul 2, 2011
Michigan
His contract is fine when he's playing 4th line where he can be appreciated for his grinding and occassional goal scoring against other 4th liners.

detgirl13

Feb 8, 2012
I agree with this. Abby isn't a great offensive player, but he isn't on a line with Dats and Mule to dangle three players, undo the goalie's jock, and pop the water bottle off the net. He is on that line to do four things- hit in the corners, retrieve the puck himself or allow Dats or Mule to retrieve the puck in the corners, stand in front of the net, and play quality D. From watching the PP the past few games, he has improved his net front presence immensely from last year.

It seems a lot of posters only look at the box score and don't watch every game- that is why you will still see some that think E is terrible, Q should be waived, etc.

Abby's worth isn't in the box score, it's in his all around play. If we do look further into stats, we see Abby has more hits than Tatar, Andersson, Dats, Z, Brunner and Flip combined. This is also more than Andersson, Eaves, and Emmerton combined. He has 17 more hits (Emmerton has 17 total) than anyone on the team. Not all of the hits are big, but they do separate the player from the puck, allowing himself or another player to retrieve the puck. For goals, I don't think his 2.2% shot percentage will stay so low- he has gotten none of the puck luck that the other bottom 6 players have.

Although Abby players better at wing, he has a better FO% than Emmertom and Andersson. He also, unlike Andersson, has a positive takeaway v. giveaway.

Abby is a 3rd/4th liner who is physical enough and defensively responsible enough to fill-in in the top-6 if he is playing with two skilled players. Abby is sought by other teams on the trade board because he is a good all around player. Unfortunately, being a good all around player isn't sexy enough for many, but it does win games. I don't understand how, in a time when the entire top-6 is struggling, Abby is the player getting the most hate.

I watch almost all of the games and I still think he's absolutely brutal. His value outside of the box score is almost nothing since he has failed to make a positive impact on this team thus far with his "hard work" or "realgood physical play". I would think that when playing next to one of the best playmakers in the NHL, your value should show on the box score as well.
Players like Abdelkader are a dime a dozen in the NHL and many of those whose salaries are comparable to his are more effective. See Raffi Torres.

I do see the value in guys who work hard and are physical and have to play less glamorous roles in a successful hockey team. I simply don't think Abby is that guy.

RedWingsNow*

I wish the people complaining about the critics would look at their own answer.

You say, "He's a fourth liner playing out of position."

You just said it. He's a fourth liner. And not even a "GOOD" fourth liner, like a Tootoo, who can change the energy of the building anytime he wants.

And he makes $1.7M. For four years.

Is Abdelkader going to grow into his contract? I have serious doubts. At one point, I thought he could be a Marty Lapointe type...but MartyLP had a heck of a shot. He was also tougher and meaner than Abdelkader (and maybe dumber)

I'm not sure who Abdelkader resembles. There have been few Red Wings forwards in 25 years to play Abdelkader's kind of minutes and have so little skill.

Wings got hosed. Darren Helm, when healthy, is worth every inch of his $2.2M cap hit.
Abdelkader isn't worth $1M cold.

RedWingsNow*

His contract is fine when he's playing 4th line where he can be appreciated for his grinding and occassional goal scoring against other 4th liners.

You think we should be spending nearly $2M a year on fourth liners?

How much for 3rd liners?

How about for 2nd liners?

How about for first liners?

And stars?

Emmerton makes a 4rh liner salary, Miller and Eaves make 4th liner salaries,

Abs is getting 3rd liner money.'

He's definitely not good enough to be a 3rd line center. We've seen that.

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013
You think we should be spending nearly $2M a year on fourth liners?

How much for 3rd liners?

How about for 2nd liners?

How about for first liners?

And stars?

Emmerton makes a 4rh liner salary, Miller and Eaves make 4th liner salaries,

Abs is getting 3rd liner money.'

He's definitely not good enough to be a 3rd line center. We've seen that.

Seriously, we are paying him almost 2 million for a 4th line guy who is pretty replaceable while we hope to resign Brunner at 2.5 to be our 1st or 2nd line RW? :amazed: He is very overpaid for what he is when we have Miller, Eaves and Tootoo which is plenty of 4th line guys who do it all.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
I was thinking about it and I don't think there are many players in the entire league that you could put on Datsyuk's line and have them be less productive than Abdelkader's been.

Seriously, even on the Wings alone, Eaves, Miller, and Tootoo would probably all be scoring more than Abdelkader.

I don't get it.

RedWingsNow*

I was thinking about it and I don't think there are many players in the entire league that you could put on Datsyuk's line and have them be less productive than Abdelkader's been.

Seriously, even on the Wings alone, Eaves, Miller, and Tootoo would probably all be scoring more than Abdelkader.

I don't get it.

The best comment I heard was that Abs and Cleary should get the Selke award for shutting down Datsyuk

WorkingOvertime

Apr 30, 2011

I don't get it.
Z and Brunner haven't scored in 7 games. Of Brunner's three assists in those 7 games, one was on the PP, one was an EN, and one was a breakaway goal. Z's two assists during that time came on the PP and EN. I would say Mule-Z-Brunner is much more skilled than Abby-Dats-Cleary- Abby and Cleary aren't top-6 skilled players while the entire Z line is top-6 skilled players. If Abby is holding Dats back, who is holding Z and Brunner back?

The team has been poor offensively the past half-dozen games, and it surely isn't the result of one line failing.

These two quotes from Dats explains my position.
“He goes through and gets the puck to me or goes back in front of the net and fights for every puck,†Datsyuk said, Friday afternoon. “Some people only measure him if he scores. But if you see him … he does a lot of hard jobs.â€
Datsyuk said, “It’s like somebody needs to pull the piano and somebody needs to play the piano. This is a guy who pulls the piano.â€
http://redwings.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=659235

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
These two quotes from Dats explains my position.

http://redwings.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=659235

Datsyuk doesn't need someone to "push the piano..." Datsyuk can play AND push.

Look at his assist on Kindl's goal yesterday... Wins a battle on the boards, makes a move, scoops it to Kindl, and scores.

He needs a guy that can finish opportunities from all of his hard work, and you're not going to see Abdelkader or Cleary do that with much succession.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Z and Brunner haven't scored in 7 games. Of Brunner's three assists in those 7 games, one was on the PP, one was an EN, and one was a breakaway goal. Z's two assists during that time came on the PP and EN. I would say Mule-Z-Brunner is much more skilled than Abby-Dats-Cleary- Abby and Cleary aren't top-6 skilled players while the entire Z line is top-6 skilled players. If Abby is holding Dats back, who is holding Z and Brunner back?
This is silly logic.

Isn't it possible that teams are keying on Zetterberg's line because Datsyuk's line essentially shuts itself down?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad