Online Series: Iron Fist

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
I watched Marc Bernadin's take on it on Fatman On Batman, he's also seen only the first 6 episode and it seems they made soem curious decisions by focusing on boring board room stuff and talk about prooving Danny Rand's identity. I guess the first 6 episodes really will be a chore to watch through...

Fatman on Batman is a great podcast.

See, that doesn't sound like a curious decision - it sounds like a dumb one. Reason is, the audience already knows he's the real Danny Rand - so us watching them debate it is completely pointless. If there was some mystery for the audience, then sure, we could follow along and try to formulate our own theories, which would hold our interest...but as it is, it's an utter waste of time.

KesselBuiltMyHotrod

Aug 2, 2005
MA
I only watched the first episode and I'm already sick of them talking about if it's really Danny Rand. The dialogue is clunky and some of the fights look like they're in slow motion, like it's really obvious when it's the stunt double. But I'll keep watching.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Fatman on Batman is a great podcast.

See, that doesn't sound like a curious decision - it sounds like a dumb one. Reason is, the audience already knows he's the real Danny Rand - so us watching them debate it is completely pointless. If there was some mystery for the audience, then sure, we could follow along and try to formulate our own theories, which would hold our interest...but as it is, it's an utter waste of time.

Yup. I only watched a bit from the beginning to try and avoid spoilers eventhough he said there wouldn't be any. He said he and Kevin will get back to it once they've both watched all episodes. I know he's been directing some The Flash and Supergirl episodes lately but I have to wonder whether Marvel should ask if he'd like to direct some of their tv stuff. He definitely knows the source material because he's a comic book geek and would know how to treat the characters right. Wouldn't be surprised if he did AoS since they shoot close to the CW shows. :laugh:

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
It does seem like the Marvel shows are just steadily getting worse with each new one released lol Daredevil is awesome, Jessica Jones was really good but lost a bit of steam near the end. I was honestly disappointed with Luke Cage, not saying it was bad but it was decidedly mediocre. Now this doesn't sound promising at all.

I think 13 episodes is too many for any of them outside of Daredevil. Theres just not enough there...which is why I think they all fade as it goes on. Im skeptical about 2nd seasons too.

Defenders is only supposed to be 8...which seems too short.

2 episodes into IF. Pretty good so far.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
3 episodes in and it's not that bad. It isn't as good as all the previous series but so far, it didn't take as long to get Danny "cleared" as I feared it would. Though I think it could have possibly been done in one less episode. The fight scenes do seem slowish and a bit choreographed. Collen Wing's cage fight was the best one yet. I did get some goosebumps when he used his power for the first time though.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Finished the 7th episodes, this does not deserve to be at 17% on rotten tomatoes. There are much worse shows out there.

Acting is better then Luke Cage, worse then DareDevil, but on par with Jessica Jones. My big problem with the series so far is the fact they didn't hire a good enough lead to carry fighting scenes. But so far it's not bad at all.

If I had to compare it to the Flash, which sits at 97% certified fresh on rotten tomatoes it blows it out of the water. Flash is a cringe fest of bad acting. WTH is wrong with rotten tomatoes. I also read some of the weirdest reviews complaining that danny rand isn't an asian? What a stupid complaint.

So far Colleen Wing has been the best part of the series.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Audience score is 87% on rottentomatoes. 8.5/10 on imdb.

I have watched through 10 episodes so far and it's a bit below daredevil season 1, but prolly on par with daredevil season 2.

I'd rank it this way :

Daredevil S1
Daredevil S2/Iron Fist S1
Jessica Jones S1
Luke Cage S1 (couldn't bring myself to finish that one)

Really not sure why the critics were so harsh. Seems a bit silly. I think if Iron Fist had came out before Daredevil, people would have liked it more.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
With all of the great tv shows out there now, why would people waste hours and hours watching this drivel for a minute amount of payoff that may or may not arrive?

Netflix started very well with Daredevil - solid 8/10. Jessica Jones had its moments, but were it a show on Fox instead of Netflix, people would see it for the 6/10 it really was. Then Luke Cage came out, and that show was a genuine 4/10. Sounds like this show may be a 2/10. Netflix is really dropping the ball here.

I liked Luke Cage just fine. 7/10 or 8/10.

The very best parts of all of the Netflix Marvel stuff was every single scene with The Punisher. All 11/10!

Nothing could be better than more Punisher.

I have not watched Iron Fist yet. I will at least give it a chance. I hope it is not as bad as critics are saying.

An aside.... the worst Marvel related production so far was the most recent Fantastic Four. That was beyond garbage. Just horrifically poor and a mangling of any possible origin story for the FF. Only redeeming quality is that Kate Mara is ridiculously beautiful.

Iron Fist can't be as bad as that? Can it?

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
My favourite comic character. His original 15 issue run is one of my favourite series of all time.

Those were Claremont and Byrne. The best creators of the X-Men!

My all-time favorite comic run is Fantastic Four 232-290 when John Byrne was writing and drawing the series. Those were awesome sci-fi and the best comics in the Stan Lee tradition of early FF and Spider-Man. Except superior to the early Lee-Kirby FF in my opinion.

Many gem Marvel runs in the 70's and 80's that blow current comics away!

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Those were Claremont and Byrne. The best creators of the X-Men!

My all-time favorite comic run is Fantastic Four 232-290 when John Byrne was writing and drawing the series. Those were awesome sci-fi and the best comics in the Stan Lee tradition of early FF and Spider-Man. Except superior to the early Lee-Kirby FF in my opinion.

Many gem Marvel runs in the 70's and 80's that blow current comics away!

Byrne era X-men and FF that were published in Finland, were my first and biggest Marvel influences.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
Only watched two episodes so far but I'm enjoying it.

A little slow, but I'm willing to put up with it at least for the time being.

Sarcastic

PosterOfTheYear2014
Sep 18, 2011
Toronto
It's not 17% bad, but I don't think the show ever gets anywhere close to the peaks of the other shows. I don't think the way the first 3 episodes play out really help the pacing of the show. Too much of a grind to get what should be the main storyline underway. I'm not sure how I feel about the twist overall as well as the end.

Regardless, the main event is on the way now.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I think 13 episodes is too many for any of them outside of Daredevil. Theres just not enough there...which is why I think they all fade as it goes on. Im skeptical about 2nd seasons too.

Defenders is only supposed to be 8...which seems too short.

2 episodes into IF. Pretty good so far.

Defenders is a mini-series, it's meant to be a short 8 episode mini-series. That's it.

I wish the is it Danny Rand stuff didn't go on as long as it did and then the lovey-dovey crap just felt so forced. It's definitely a mess of a show with very few moments that make you say "Oh nice!"...very few, like maybe 2.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
6 episodes in, definitely not as bad as I feared. The sixth was probably the best episode so far, very intense. The fight scenes have improved since the first episodes.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
I watched 2/3rds of the first episode last night (and fell asleep, but because I was the tired not bored!)

It seems interesting enough. Today I am going to binge watch more.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
At episode 10 one thing that I am wondering is where on the timeline this series is. I thought it was after all the others, even season 2 of Daredevil, but twice now Madame Gao has mentioned people with abilities and listed Daredevil, Luge Cage and the Iron Fist but no mention of Jessica Jones. hmmmmm

Maybe she does not know about her but I find that hard to believe.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
The show seems like it gets better over time.

Iron Fist ends much stronger then it finishes, which is basically the exact opposite of what the other netflix series have done.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I feel like I've seen the "rich kid thought dead, gets trained to kick ass, then returns to kick ass" thing already with Arrow.

firewagonHOCKEY

Mar 7, 2006
Belgium
The series is good. Better then Arrow, Daredevil, Luke Cage and Jessica Jones.

Jessica Jones gets a nod when Joy speaks about hiring a female p.i who drinks a lot to do some digging on the board members

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
At episode 10 one thing that I am wondering is where on the timeline this series is. I thought it was after all the others, even season 2 of Daredevil, but twice now Madame Gao has mentioned people with abilities and listed Daredevil, Luge Cage and the Iron Fist but no mention of Jessica Jones. hmmmmm

Maybe she does not know about her but I find that hard to believe.

She never faced off with Jessica Jones in the series, that's why.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The series is good. Better then Arrow, Daredevil, Luke Cage and Jessica Jones.

Jessica Jones gets a nod when Joy speaks about hiring a female p.i who drinks a lot to do some digging on the board members

You can't compare Arrow to this show, why? Because if Arrow was on Netflix, it'd probably be ****ing amazing (same with Flash) but it's on CW, a show for teenaged angst and themes of that nature, more drama than story or action. DC Animated is fantastic because it's not bound by the moronic cable network like CBS/CW. Had they been smarter and also went the Netflix or even HBO route, it'd be fantastic.

It takes 6 episodes for Iron Fist to really take off and then it becomes about his company yet again, they wasted a lot of the time with that and then you have maybe 5 episodes that are fairly decent. Luke Cage suffers from that too, but less of the set up crap.

I would say Daredevil, Jessica Jones, then it's a toss up of LC and IF....Arrow isn't even Marvel, so keep that out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad