Online Series: Iron Fist

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I've watched about 3/4 of the series so far.

I thought it started really well. For the first 5ish episodes, it felt like it could even rival Daredevil's 1st season for me. I was actually surprised for it to be as good as it was considering I felt letdown by the trailer. Definitely an improvement over Jessica Jones and Luke Cage, in my opinion.

Then, it got kind of messy, which is what I had against the 2nd season of Daredevil as well. Trying to go in too many directions, I think. I feel like I've gradually lost interest.

All in all, I'd still have it ahead of Luke Cage, which was the weakest of all five Marvel seasons we've had on Netflix so far in my opinion. Probably on a similar level as Daredevil's 2nd season, slightly ahead of Jessica Jones for me. Daredevil's 1st season is still the only one that managed to keep me interested from start to finish.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Getting through this show is a grind. If it wasn't for the other Netflix Marvel shows I would have quit after the first half. Still got a few episodes to go but so far I am not impressed. Loved DD and JJ, especially as both had very good lead bad guys that were interesting and intriguing. LC suffered from not having that and I couldn't stand the final fight scene with the townspeople cheering him on, reminded me way too much of Rocky 5 which I've taken great efforts to forget forever. But other than that I thought LC was alright and I loved the Harlem vibe and music. This show is way worse. I love Chinese Kung Fu movies so I thought I'd at least enjoy that part of the series but nope, the fight choreography is terrible. The acting is atrocious, couldn't care less about a single character in this show. Closest I've ever come to outright quitting on a show and I consider myself somewhat of a completionist. I'll still likely finish it eventually but easily the weakest of the four Netflix Marvel series in my opinion.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Yeah... This show definitely started strong to me, and went way downhill from there.

Felt like some standard cable show à la Arrow near the end...

Don't know which is weakest between Iron Fist and Luke Cage, but the Netflix series are trending down pretty hard... Hopefully they put it all together for the Defenders.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I found me main problem with this series was that the tried to stylize the fights too much. I loved the Daredevil fights because they were gritty and brutal. I get trying to focus on the martial arts background, but most of the fights just seem...soft. Danny also gets beat up a lot, and takes a ton of damage for being an immortal weapon. He just doesn't have that intimidation factor he should have for having the destructive capabilities he has.

DR is the greatest martial artist in Marvel, yet he fights like a **** poor imitation of Steven Seagal.

The people that failed this show are the writers and the fighting choreographers. Had they at least taken the time to write a better script/dialogue and not focused so much on the company side of things and the father hiding in the shadows and pulling strings, this might have been an enjoyable movie.

Maybe they were in a time crunch with The Defenders needing to be made by a certain time and just rushed the whole thing, it definitely felt that way when you watch it, like they had one idea and then fleshed that one idea out for far too long and then decided oh we can have a neat angle here and by then, ran out of time. The actor didn't do his best to really look the part physically either.

Hes not fully trained either.

With a few years experience I have no doubt hell punch Hulk and stop trains with his fists.

Yeah that doesn't fly. He is a trained martial artist that defeats the dragon to inherit the Iron Fist. At that point, he's already far more accomplished than anyone in that tv show besides Steel Serpent (who is basically as close to his equal as it gets).

So that whole premise as an excuse sucks.

The actor not only didn't really look the part (I mean dude, hit the gym at least), the fighting choreography was terrible and the dialogue was mediocre at best, they also focused heavily on his family's company.

Arrow this season is way better than Iron Fist.

Definitely, Arrow and The Flash aren't terrible, DC suffers from these stupid contracts with CW/CBS and have shows geared more towards teens that like drama, I mean have you seen SuperGirl? It looks like a bad teen drama pretending to be adult. I can't believe they didn't try to get it on cable at least and don't get me started on how god awful Gotham is.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Yeah... This show definitely started strong to me, and went way downhill from there.

Felt like some standard cable show à la Arrow near the end...

Don't know which is weakest between Iron Fist and Luke Cage, but the Netflix series are trending down pretty hard... Hopefully they put it all together for the Defenders.

Luke Cage was good until the Villain switch. Black Mariah became even more annoying and Diamondback sucked.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
DR is the greatest martial artist in Marvel, yet he fights like a **** poor imitation of Steven Seagal.

The people that failed this show are the writers and the fighting choreographers. Had they at least taken the time to write a better script/dialogue and not focused so much on the company side of things and the father hiding in the shadows and pulling strings, this might have been an enjoyable movie.

Maybe they were in a time crunch with The Defenders needing to be made by a certain time and just rushed the whole thing, it definitely felt that way when you watch it, like they had one idea and then fleshed that one idea out for far too long and then decided oh we can have a neat angle here and by then, ran out of time. The actor didn't do his best to really look the part physically either.

The actor not only didn't really look the part (I mean dude, hit the gym at least), the fighting choreography was terrible and the dialogue was mediocre at best, they also focused heavily on his family's company.

Definitely, Arrow and The Flash aren't terrible, DC suffers from these stupid contracts with CW/CBS and have shows geared more towards teens that like drama, I mean have you seen SuperGirl? It looks like a bad teen drama pretending to be adult. I can't believe they didn't try to get it on cable at least and don't get me started on how god awful Gotham is.

Finn Jones said he had 3 weeks(!) to train, Jessica Henwick had previous wushu training 6 years ago for a BBC show The Spirit Warriors which explains why she looked better or more comfortable in fight scenes. They had a two week break after Iron Fist finished shooting and then started shooting The Defenders. I get the feeling they secured the casting too late to prepare the leads properly for the demands of the fight scenes.

Supergirl is on cable now. It's also been better than The Flash this season, even though the Mon-El focus is borderline distracting. If the actor wasn't good and had good chemistry with Melissa Benoist (they're dating), it could be worse. Season opener with Superman making an appearance was very promising and Tyler Hoechner was a perfect casting.

Ar-too

Zealous Scrub
Jan 8, 2004
Columbus, OH
Finished this last night.

I was skeptical after episode 1. It had the tone of one of those bad Van Damme movies from the 80s-90s. I think it got lots better after that. Episode 8 is the best by far. So many good references in that one. As usual, things got good once Claire showed up.

Madame Gao was awesome, but otherwise the villains were meh. Daredevil season 2 setup the Hand as this menacing, unknowable spectre. The Hand is still somewhat unknowable, but I expected much more than what we got in this series.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Daredevil was awesome, Jessica Jones was good, Luke Cage was bad, this was awful.

There were so many holes in the plots it's amazing. There's no security anywhere and where there is, a 6 yo kid could get trough... And I could talk about the dialogues, the fight scenes and the writing, but it's been said multiple times already.

Horrible show.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
I'm six episodes in and cheering for Ward Meachum. I don't know if it's the actor playing Danny Rand, or how he's written, but my god he's just awful. Please tell me that the comics are better than the show. I was going to start reading but now I'm not so sure.

jimmythescot

Jul 28, 2009
Edinburgh, Scotland
Finn Jones said he had 3 weeks(!) to train, Jessica Henwick had previous wushu training 6 years ago for a BBC show The Spirit Warriors which explains why she looked better or more comfortable in fight scenes. They had a two week break after Iron Fist finished shooting and then started shooting The Defenders. I get the feeling they secured the casting too late to prepare the leads properly for the demands of the fight scenes.

Supergirl is on cable now. It's also been better than The Flash this season, even though the Mon-El focus is borderline distracting. If the actor wasn't good and had good chemistry with Melissa Benoist (they're dating), it could be worse. Season opener with Superman making an appearance was very promising and Tyler Hoechner was a perfect casting.
That makes sense. It was hard to take it seriously when the bad ass Kung fu genius was having trouble balancing on one leg.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I'm six episodes in and cheering for Ward Meachum. I don't know if it's the actor playing Danny Rand, or how he's written, but my god he's just awful. Please tell me that the comics are better than the show. I was going to start reading but now I'm not so sure.

I love the comics. Especially the later stuff, the early stuff is mostly all cheesy kungfu

TheCanasianfrasian

Aug 18, 2006
Montreal
I watched it recently.

Initially i felt like it wasn't half as bad as all the reviews were reporting.

But the show goes stale after ep 5-6.

I still rank this above Luke Cage though.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
I love the comics. Especially the later stuff, the early stuff is mostly all cheesy kungfu

Good to know, I'll work back from the current series as it keeps my interest. Marvel seems to have much stronger writing in the last few years in their comics. Most series I've stumbled across have kept my interest. Infamous Iron Man being the latest.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Good to know, I'll work back from the current series as it keeps my interest. Marvel seems to have much stronger writing in the last few years in their comics. Most series I've stumbled across have kept my interest. Infamous Iron Man being the latest.

Note that i liked the older IF too but I understand its harder to get into.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa

You seem to be in the minority as Marvel comic book sales have been terrible.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Just finished the other day. I enjoyed but not as much as the other series. I have noticed that other than Daredevil S1 all the season kind of drag a bit. They almost all seem about 2-3 episodes too long.

The fact that Defender's is only 8 episodes is probably a good thing.

My ranking right now would be

DD S1
JJ
DD S2
IF
LC

As many have stated before the villain switch in Luke Cage really hurt it.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC

I bought a few of these on a whim and the stories are ****ing amazing. Riri Williams is a great add to the mix too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad