Online Series: Iron Fist

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Somewhat optimistic about this, but I think after a fantastic Daredevil 1st season, the Marvel shows have kind of been on a downward slope. Hopefully this raises the bar back up a bit.

Burnoutboi

Jul 3, 2006
Grande Prairie, Alberta
Somewhat optimistic about this, but I think after a fantastic Daredevil 1st season, the Marvel shows have kind of been on a downward slope. Hopefully this raises the bar back up a bit.

I agree. Season 1 of DD is still the best they've done so far. My only hope for the series is that he doesn't fight in street clothes for the entire run. Green leotards for the win!

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Most of the reviews I've seen are whining about Danny Rand being white, so I'm ignoring reviews.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Quick question - no spoilers required... just yes/no
Is there any point to finishing Luke Cage to see this? (ie any cameo setup appearances or groundwork laid for the show itself)

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
My favourite comic character. His original 15 issue run is one of my favourite series of all time.

KesselBuiltMyHotrod

Aug 2, 2005
MA
Sepinwall hated it, particularly the fight scenes.

http://uproxx.com/sepinwall/iron-fist-review-netflix-marvel/

The action scenes throughout the first six episodes are few and far between, and when they come, they’re filmed and edited in a manner where it becomes hard to tell what Danny is doing, or if he’s remotely the brilliant fighter he’s being sold as. The first few fights have all the actors, Jones in particular, moving so slowly and tentatively, it feels like they filmed the first rehearsal and moved on. I wanted to write that off as the show’s way of demonstrating that Danny is so good, he barely needs to make an effort against civilians — an approach that served Luke Cage well at times — but later fights aren’t any more impressive, even if Danny is moving slightly faster. (He’s not even involved in a long and elaborate combat sequence until late in the fourth episode.) Colleen’s fights look a bit better in comparison, but are also edited so aggressively that it’s all but impossible to tell.

If Iron Fist was an otherwise boring series with a hero who kicked butt in exciting ways early and often, I’d forgive the bland expository parts in the same way I do for a lot of action shows and movies. And if Finn Jones couldn’t fight but was otherwise a riveting screen presence blessed with sparkling dialogue and a compelling character arc, I’d get past the alleged living weapon’s lame physical prowess. But when neither part works at all, why would anyone but the most devout, masochistic Marvel completist want to watch?

My expectations are certainly tempered.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
The critics always get only the first 6 or so episdoes, these shows have always taken plot twists and what not in the backend that change the show. You really have to watch all episodes before final verdict.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
The critics always get only the first 6 or so episdoes, these shows have always taken plot twists and what not in the backend that change the show. You really have to watch all episodes before final verdict.

With all of the great tv shows out there now, why would people waste hours and hours watching this drivel for a minute amount of payoff that may or may not arrive?

Netflix started very well with Daredevil - solid 8/10. Jessica Jones had its moments, but were it a show on Fox instead of Netflix, people would see it for the 6/10 it really was. Then Luke Cage came out, and that show was a genuine 4/10. Sounds like this show may be a 2/10. Netflix is really dropping the ball here.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
With all of the great tv shows out there now, why would people waste hours and hours watching this drivel for a minute amount of payoff that may or may not arrive?

Netflix started very well with Daredevil - solid 8/10. Jessica Jones had its moments, but were it a show on Fox instead of Netflix, people would see it for the 6/10 it really was. Then Luke Cage came out, and that show was a genuine 4/10. Sounds like this show may be a 2/10. Netflix is really dropping the ball here.
I loved Jessica Jones. Easily my favourite of all Superhero show to date, not including the X-Men cartoons and Earth's Mightiest Heroes.

Ar-too

Zealous Scrub
Jan 8, 2004
Columbus, OH
Luke Cage 4/10?!?

Anyways, I was really looking forward to this. Some of the reviews seem obsessed with hammering the show for casting a white man to play a part originally written as a... white man. The horror!

Still, the reviews are pretty consistently awful. I will likely watch it all just so I don't miss anything ahead of the Defenders. But I'm not as excited as I was.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
It does seem like the Marvel shows are just steadily getting worse with each new one released lol Daredevil is awesome, Jessica Jones was really good but lost a bit of steam near the end. I was honestly disappointed with Luke Cage, not saying it was bad but it was decidedly mediocre. Now this doesn't sound promising at all.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I watched Marc Bernadin's take on it on Fatman On Batman, he's also seen only the first 6 episode and it seems they made soem curious decisions by focusing on boring board room stuff and talk about prooving Danny Rand's identity. I guess the first 6 episodes really will be a chore to watch through...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad