Online Series: Iron Fist

USC Trojans

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
May 17, 2002
LA Oiler fan
Yeah, Marc Bernardin mentioned that usually the actors that aren't already fluent in martial arts, spend a couple of months training before the shooting begins. It's no wonder he looked like a rookie at times. Defenders is being filmed right now, I assume he's had more training more for that. Henwick seemed at times to be more experienced than him.

http://www.muscleandfitness.com/mus...ssica-henwicks-badass-martial-arts-training-0

Just checked wikipedia, she trained wushu for the BBC show Spirit Warriors 6 years ago already.

I'm guessing there will a season two for Iron Fist, one should expect fight scenes to be much better in that.

Or at least put a mask on him so that they can hire some stunt doubles for the martial arts scenes.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Or at least put a mask on him so that they can hire some stunt doubles for the martial arts scenes.

They already used a stunt double. The cuts failed to hide that, just as Marc also mentioned.

Of course one could say that perhaps they should've done the casting a bit earlier so the training could've been done better.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
I haven't watched Jessica Jones yet. I really liked Daredevil, liked Luke Cage, thought Iron Fist was okay.

DareDevil is the best IMO, but Jessica Jones is a close 2nd for me. I guess my expectations for JJ simply weren't high enough, and I was blown away by how good it was. I really liked it and can't wait for a second season.

Luke Cage was awesome but for me a tier below DD and JJ.

Iron Fist so far seems to be a tier below Luke Cage, but still a good show.

DD for me is close to a 10/10, JJ a 9/10, Luke Cage an 8/10, so far (haven't finished Iron Fist) more of a 7/10. But I really dig the netflix marvel series'.

Especially when compared with the CW DC shows which are more like 5 or 6 on 10's. Like if The Flash wasn't about The Flash, it would be destroyed on Rotten Tomatoes for it's terrible acting, stupid actions of the characters etc. But because it's a show about The Flash it gets a free pass IMO. Say if for example it was a show about a made up super hero with no linking to any comic book character. I don't think people would be so forgiving, myself inclusive to be fair.

Netflix allows the creators of these shows to make them more realistic.

As for Iron Fist, I find it kind of contrived how Claire Temple seems to find herself involved in all these separate superhero storylines all the while some of them have never even met and thus there's no link.

Go Habs Go

May 23, 2002
Mississauga
www.fanhome.com
If it wasn't for DD, JJ and LC, I would've stopped watching IF after the 2nd episodes. I keep watching hoping it gets better like the other 3 Netflix Marvel shows.

One thing for sure, the actor playing Danny Rand is not right for the role. This was a huge mistake.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Finished it last night and his origin story (getting discovered by the monks) in the TV series is different than in the comic books and they did a great job with the TV origin as the comics reveal all in the beginning.

One thing you all missed in all of the series is the theme with the Hand throughout all of the series and I'm willing to bet this comes to a head in the defenders like the infinity stones in the MCU.

This was a really tough story to adapt for the Netflix series/universe and they did a pretty damned good job with it.

If it wasn't for DD, JJ and LC, I would've stopped watching IF after the 2nd episodes. I keep watching hoping it gets better like the other 3 Netflix Marvel shows.

One thing for sure, the actor playing Danny Rand is not right for the role. This was a huge mistake.

He was perfect if you read the comic books.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
I'm 4 episodes into this and went in expecting a trainwreck and it's not that bad. The "HE'S NOT REALLY DANNY RAND!!11!" drug on a little too long and some of the fights scenes are done poorly, but it's definitely watchable.

Both Ward and Harold have very punchable faces. :laugh:

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
Just finished. I really liked it...probably 2nd for me behind the DD seasons because I thpught it kept up until the end (I thought Jessica dragged a bit).

That said, Danny is my least favorite Defender. I thought he was the weakest part of the show. Ward was the star for me...I found his story arch way more interesting.

KesselBuiltMyHotrod

Aug 2, 2005
MA
Not to belabor a point, but here's an interview with Jessica Henwick. She only had half a month to prepare for the show. I guess they needed to rush this to keep Defenders on track?

http://ew.com/tv/2017/03/26/iron-fi.../?xid=entertainment-weekly_socialflow_twitter

Also I didn't know the showrunner was the guy responsible for the last couple seasons of Dexter, which are widely reviled, and now he'll be going on to run the Inhumans series. Ugh.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Not to belabor a point, but here's an interview with Jessica Henwick. She only had half a month to prepare for the show. I guess they needed to rush this to keep Defenders on track?

http://ew.com/tv/2017/03/26/iron-fi.../?xid=entertainment-weekly_socialflow_twitter

Also I didn't know the showrunner was the guy responsible for the last couple seasons of Dexter, which are widely reviled, and now he'll be going on to run the Inhumans series. Ugh.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, she had wushu training 6 years ago for the BBC show Spirit Warriors.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
It's kind of weird that they got short-changed so much on prep time. IIRC Iron Fist was originally supposed to come before Luke Cage, but the success of Luke as a supporting character during Jessica Jones made them flip-flop the release schedule and push the Luke Cage series forward.

That should've bought them like 6 additional months of lead time to cast and prep. What the hell did they do with all that time? Sit there and twiddle their thumbs?

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Finished this this weekend.

Started slow, got a little better in the middle and then the last few episodes were meh at best.

Definitely the worst of the Marvel Netflix shows.

PepperKeenan

Sep 22, 2012
Sweden
Finished it in the weekend. I think it was about as good as JJ and better than LC. DD's still the best with no comparison.

DD=9/10
IF/JJ= 7.5ish
LC=7/10

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
Funny enough the characters I liked and hated are Ward and Joy.

Ward was a bit of full on hate at first, but he slowly grew on me as he progressed as a character.

Joy on the other hand I thought was going to be the redeemable one of the family and she flip flops decision wise the whole series until the end where I can't help but think "Wait what ? Really ?"

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I found me main problem with this series was that the tried to stylize the fights too much. I loved the Daredevil fights because they were gritty and brutal. I get trying to focus on the martial arts background, but most of the fights just seem...soft. Danny also gets beat up a lot, and takes a ton of damage for being an immortal weapon. He just doesn't have that intimidation factor he should have for having the destructive capabilities he has.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->