Interesting insight from Andrew Ference (31 Thoughts: The Podcast)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Hall is a coach killer now. I've heard it all. His coach for two seasons here was Eakins and he resisted any temptation to kill him. He could be canonized for that alone. Hall is a saint.

Honestly, who here could listen to Eakins for even 1 or 2 weeks. Hall lasted with this sheer idiocy for two years without calling it out. Picture of class. But the usuals here retroactively respinning reality.

Reactions: RegDunlop

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Alright, but do we even know he didn't listen to his coaches at all?

His admission is very revealing. I am surprised he said as much as he did. Its a sign of maturity IMO and I applaud him for it.
That said...I am not going to gloss over how toxic that attitude was to the team.

hallhopkinseberle

Jul 14, 2007
london
This is coming from the best player on the team. the player that sets the tone for the rest of the team.
This is a quality that simply cant be tolerated on any team that expects to build a winning culture and its entirely on Hall.

So who set the tone in Hall's Rookie season? If you were expecting a rookie to build a winning culture or set the tone for the team that you expected way too much out of hall.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
"it is black and white, there is no grey"

lmao at this.

Except if its a different topic and convenient to say that nuance is important..

Really its black and white, damned anybody for not listening or wanting to take extra time talking to Eakins and obtaining direction from him. I'm in stiches here.

We had vets on this team that refused to look at the peg board that Eakins was drawing up for magic game ending plays. I don't think Boyd Gordon listened or attended to Eakins once the whole time he was here. Boyd would just stare off with that 1000yd stare wondering when he was getting out of hockey hell.

But lets blame the kid.

The only person in the org we know that listened to Eakins was Ference and MacT.

Last edited:

hallhopkinseberle

Jul 14, 2007
london
"it is black and white, there is no grey"

lmao at this.

Except if its the convenient to say that nuance is important..

Really its black and white, damned anybody for not listening or wanting to take extra time talking to Eakins. I'm in stiches here.

Honestly I can't believe I am still arguing with these guys. I lol'd so hard when he was like you are ignoring my points and you just keep saying the same thing over and over again. When he was ignoring my points and kept saying the same thing over and over.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Alright, but do we even know he didn't listen to his coaches at all? Again at the end of the day he finally learned he ****ed up actually listens to his coaches now so what message did Devil coach/management send that Oilers didn't?

Hall just matured as he got older. I doubt he parties like he used to. Ebs probably rarely parties now that he’s married. Age gets all of us young studs eventually.

hallhopkinseberle

Jul 14, 2007
london
Hall just matured as he got older. I doubt he parties like he used to. Ebs probably rarely parties now that he’s married. Age gets all of us young studs eventually.

I agree but I think it's unrealistic for any professional hockey team to expect 18-24-year-old players to lead the team, Oilers management expected that out of Hall and that's where they got it wrong and should've brought in a better leader/player when he was still 18-19.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
So who set the tone in Hall's Rookie season? If you were expecting a rookie to build a winning culture or set the tone for the team.

I am not expecting a rookie to change the culture of the team...I am expecting a rookie to respect the team and his teammates enough to be part of the solution. That begins with listening to the coaches.
If he has 100% buy in and over time it becomes clear that he is the best player on the team he then sets an example for the rest of the team moving forward. That didnt happen.

I also strongly suspect this was an issue prior to arriving in Edmonton.
I find it hard to believe that a young player who has never played a game in the best League on the Planet decides that its a good idea not to listen to the NHL coaches in his first season.

Hall had a sense of entitlement and selfishness that needed 2 things IMO...some years of maturing and a major slap in the face (a trade and talking to by NJ management about what they expected from him) to get his attention.
Otherwise he likely wasnt going to change.
Both of those things happened.

hallhopkinseberle

Jul 14, 2007
london
Lets talk about Football on a Hockey board!

I was showing an example from another sport to get my point across. You know that's how you make an argument. State your main point and show an example to help support it. Heck how am I explaining something like this to someone that doesn't even know how capitals work.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Honestly I can't believe I am still arguing with these guys. I lol'd so hard when he was like you are ignoring my points and you just keep saying the same thing over and over again. When he was ignoring my points and kept saying the same thing over and over.

Welcome to pounding your head against the wall. Kudos though, and I mean it. This thread was done, done, done, and almost unanimously Ference was panned for his dipshit comments. Most people don't pay attention to it anymore. Once RNH clarified the Ference comments were bs (we already knew) it was over. Its amazing people still defend the realm and attack Hall.

hallhopkinseberle

Jul 14, 2007
london
I am not expecting a rookie to change the culture of the team...I am expecting a rookie to respect the team and his teammates enough to be part of the solution. That begins with listening to the coaches.

I also strongly suspect this was an issue prior to arriving in Edmonton.
I find it hard to believe that a young player who has never played a game in the best League on the Planet decides that its a good idea not to listen to the NHL coaches in his first season.

Hall had a sense of entitlement and selfishness that needed 2 things IMO...some years of maturing and a major slap in the face (a trade and talking to by NJ management about what they expected from him) to get his attention.
Otherwise he likely wasnt going to change.
Both of those things happened.

Bolded are you talking that Hall had an issue with listening coaches back in Junior? or that there was already culture of not listening to coaches in place in Edmonton. If so management should've probably fixed that by bringing in some quality veterans to lead by example and make sure Hall had an ideal environment to grow as a professional in eh?

hallhopkinseberle

Jul 14, 2007
london
Welcome to pounding your head against the wall. Kudos though, and I mean it. This thread was done, done, done, and almost unanimously Ference was panned for his dip**** comments. Most people don't pay attention to it anymore. Once RNH clarified the Ference comments were bs (we already knew) it was over. Its amazing people still defend the realm and attack Hall.

Ya again I can't sleep so wtv

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Bolded are you talking that Hall had an issue with listening coaches back in Junior? or that there was already culture of not listening to coaches in place in Edmonton. If so management should've probably fixed that by bringing in some quality veterans to lead by example and make sure Hall had an ideal environment to grow as a professional in eh?

LOl...you will do anything to absolve Hall of any responsibility for his time in Edmonton.

There is no reaching you on this.

Cheers.

Reactions: TB12

hallhopkinseberle

Jul 14, 2007
london
LOl...you will do anything to absolve Hall of any responsibility for his time in Edmonton.

no I just don't think one rookie/young player shouldn't have to carry the load right away. I was worried about McDavid doing it but Peter did do a good job with bringing in guys like Lucic, Russell, etc. Lucic I think has been a huge influence in the room in terms of work ethic and I know he is a shitty player but I bet you he listens to the coach and everyone listens to him when he has something to say.

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017
no I just don't think one rookie/young player shouldn't have to carry the load right away. I was worried about McDavid doing it but Peter did do a good job with bringing in guys like Lucic, Russell, etc. Lucic I think has been a huge influence in the room in terms of work ethic and I know he is a ****ty player but I bet you he listens to the coach and everyone listens to him when he has something to say.
Except McDavid is doing just that.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
no I just don't think one rookie/young player shouldn't have to carry the load right away. I was worried about McDavid doing it but Peter did do a good job with bringing in guys like Lucic, Russell, etc. Lucic I think has been a huge influence in the room in terms of work ethic and I know he is a ****ty player but I bet you he listens to the coach and everyone listens to him when he has something to say.

You are just ignoring my points and repeating yourself.

There is no excuse for not listening to the coaches...none.
That is all on Hall and it contributed in a big way to the toxic culture on this team.

I was never worried about McDabvid doing the same thing. McDavid was coachable.
He was not a self absorbed individual like Hall was. Quite the opposite in fact.
Despite his huge talent McDavid is a humble person with a professional commitment to his team and his team mates.
Halls tweet to McDavid was a bad sign....a sign that Hall had not changed.
I am just glad they shipped Hall out of here before his toxic attitude took away from the new direction this team would take from McDavid.

You have convinced yourself that Hall is free and clear of any responsibility for his actions and more than that you just dont want to recognize how his actions helped sewer the team.

Should I be surprised considering your user name has Hall in it?

Last edited:

hallhopkinseberle

Jul 14, 2007
london
Except McDavid is doing just that.

Ya and he is a very rare case. He's a different breed. There is a reason why he got exceptional status and is considered a generational talent. It's widely known that his leadership qualities is rare for young players. Hall was never considered any of those things.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
This thread;

You're repeating yourself

No, you're repeating yourself

No, no, you're repeating yourself X2!

No, its black and white

No, its grey.

Its 37 pages and counting.

Good night all! ;)

I double dog dare y'all to continue.

Its well past even 1K posts!

NotAVacuumSalesman

Jun 19, 2017
Ya and he is a very rare case. He's a different breed. There is a reason why he got exceptional status and is considered a generational talent. It's widely known that his leadership qualities is rare for young players. Hall was never considered any of those things.
Hall was an alternate captain but lets just ignore that. I mean why would anyone be given alternate captain without leadership abilities. Lets blame management cause that was their mistake.

hallhopkinseberle

Jul 14, 2007
london
You are just ignoring my points and repeating yourself.

There is no excuse for not listening to the coaches...none.
That is all on Hall and it contributed in a big way to the toxic culture on this team.

I was never worried about McDabvid doing the same thing. McDavid was coachable.
He was not a self absorbed individual like Hall was. Quite the opposite in fact.
Despite his huge talent McDavid is a humble person with a professional commitment to his team and his team mates.
Halls tweet to McDavid was a bad sign....a sign that Hall had not changed.
I am just glad they shipped Hall out of here before his toxic attitude took away from the new direction this team would take from McDavid.

Ya I agree Hall shouldve listened to his coaches. I am acknowledging your point. I am simply just explaining why Hall was like that and management shouldve done a better job supporting him.
Bringing McDavid up wasn't saying he was going to not listening to coaches. I was just worried that the pressure would get to him or smt. Idk I'm not worried now and haven't been for awhile.

NotAVacuumSalesman

Jun 19, 2017
Ya I agree Hall shouldve listened to his coaches. I am acknowledging your point. I am simply just explaining why Hall was like that and management shouldve done a better job supporting him.
Bringing McDavid up wasn't saying he was going to not listening to coaches. I was just worried that the pressure would get to him or smt. Idk I'm not worried now and haven't been for awhile.
They brought in a winning cup vet and a rookie coach to try and fix it.
Didn't work cause Hall had issues with them.
Time to blame management.

hallhopkinseberle

Jul 14, 2007
london
Hall was an alternate captain but lets just ignore that. I mean why would anyone be given alternate captain without leadership abilities. Lets blame management cause that was their mistake.

He was alternate captain in his Rookie season? That's news to me. Was he even alternate captain in his 2nd season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad