Interesting insight from Andrew Ference (31 Thoughts: The Podcast)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
I don't doubt that Hall wasn't the best teammate.

But when Ference doesn't even hold himself accountable, why should we champion this guy when he was a complete dud from the get-go?
If you're asking why people are championing Ference's words, then it's because they believe that Hall had a massive negative influence on the club.

If you're asking that question to me specifically, then no, we shouldn't champion Ference nor should we be defending Hall. I would blame the organization for indirectly creating a negative locker room environment.

In all likelihood, Hall was an asshole and ringleader of the young group that disrupted the locker room while Ference and the older crowd weren't talented enough to command their respect. Hall and co. probably felt like management failed them in their 12-13 playoff push and were pissed off that Krueger got fired. Eakins and Ference came in with a "my way or the highway" approach, which would be frustrating for someone if they feel like the problems were otherwise, and quit on them once results went sour. Eakins and Ference probably felt like Hall and co were unprofessional and unwilling to listen. Eakins was not skilled enough with people to make the locker room harmonious, and he wasn't good enough as a coach to command everyone's respect. Eventually, everyone checked out into their own cliques (if they were even lucky enough to have one).

Firing Renney was a big blunder, and firing Krueger was a massive one. Getting rid of Horcoff, who connected with everyone in the locker room, was a mistake too even though we, the fans, all wanted rid of him as a player.

So if you're asking me, then I would say Tambellini fired the first shot in ruining the team dynamic and MacTavish fired the next five.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Paragraph 1: you may be right. Ference didn't say and I'll keep my unfounded speculation to myself. He also didn't say the toe draggers were going to party... he said the guys who appreciated toe drags more than hard work... it could easily include guys who idolized the toe draggers, were not toe draggers themselves and needed to focus on WORK rather than toe dragging at practice. His point was a more general one... that guys liked "easy" hockey rather than hard work. I found the part about making fun of trying hard at practice to be the most damaging affront to team play. Anyone who has played with talented players that don't give 100% knows exactly how that feels to the guys who had to play at 110% to even make the team (and I'll admit, I've been both... its part of growing up).

Paragraph 2: I fundamentally disagree here. It's about the Stanley Cup, not individual glory and Ference has one. Ference was an Assistant captain on that team. He was far from a bit player, but he got that cup (like many on that team) through hard work and with limited talent. That (plus his work in the community) made him a legend in Boston... I know, I lived across the street from the garden and the best stay-at-home D in my beer league CRIED when he signed with us. In Boston, Ference typified what was magical about sport... that sometimes deep effort and passion were enough to reach your dreams. (it sucks that Eakins didn't let things play out rather than giving him the C... cuz it would have been much better for all for that to be an inceptive lesson rather than a directive)

Paragraph 3: Not sure where you went with this or why... Lucic, by all accounts, is a great teammate. Willfully contributed to toxicity and division? You don't know that... in fact it sounds like he was trying to get guys to buy in and be on the SAME page... the exact opposite of division... and that what he was dealing with was a room that was already divided... in any case a guy trying to get some unprofessional athletes to be more professional might cause division if the unprofessional guys aren't willing to change or too dense to listen. This story by the way is a recurring theme from those days.... that there were players in the room that didn't want to put the effort in. The team cycled through multiple captains (3) and multiple coaches (. It ate them up and spit them out. That shouldn't happen.

I'm really not sure what people are up in arms about. We know the team in that era was devoid of vet leadership. We know a losing culture was created. We know the kids maybe had too much pressure put on them (one perspective), or were too immature to take on the pressure (the other perspective). And we know that management was unable to correct the situation in a timely or proactive manner. Situations like that have many victims and many actors. Why does one of the guys, who had a LONG career as a good teammate elsewhere contrasting his experience with what it was like to play on a better team with a stronger leadership core get people so upset?

Well, RNH just dispelled a lot of the points. Gotta thank you big time Ryan for balling up on this one. You don't need this shit but its really appreciated from the fan base you responded.

That the Oilers of the time were not hard partying, certainly not.

That by no means was there any laughing at people trying hard in practice.

Also RNH confirmed the point I was making yesterday that there was no way players were partying hard and coming to the rink hungover.

We have RNH, a poster boy for pleasantry, literally rolling his eyes at the garbage coming out of Ference's mouth about the team.

RNH even surprised, shocked by the statements,; “But I’m a little surprised that he would come out now and say these things. It’s strange. I always got along with him, too.”

Clearly that evokes that these were blindside comments entirely out of the blue.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Ference exaggerating claims of hard-partying Edmonton Oilers team that didn’t care, says Ryan Nugent-Hopkins

“To say that guys were going out all the time and were showing up hung over, I don’t remember guys doing that at all,” said Nugent-Hopkins, who has evolved into the best two-way player on the team.

He really rolled his eyes at the notion players were routinely mocked for working hard in practice.

They probably just mocked Ference because they skated right through him and his slow ass couldn't defend properly.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
There's more to it. Yes, the players on the team need to have the talent and teamwork to succeed, absolutely agreeable. But the management needs to be held accountable as well. Imagine if the Oiler pro scouts could actually draft outside the first round during the decade of darkness instead of going for grinding big slow meatheats that amounted minimal to nothing in the NHL. Or an owner that actually cared more about success than he does in regards to his friendship with the OBC.
It doesn't help the talent and teamwork for the players when every year, there was a coaching carousel along with terrible GM's that failed miserably to bring the right pieces for this team to succeed. Such as signing scrubs like Belanger, Hordichuk, Eager, Foster, Nikitin, Barker, Grebeshkov, etc.
I did not read this until now as I just finished responding to someone else.

I agree.

Our organization's management and executive leadership have been atrocious, and I believe that their biggest failings were all committed in 2013. The only positives to come from that are players like McDavid and Draisaitl, but it sucks for us as fans that we were in that position again.

Reactions: McAsuno

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Well, RNH just dispelled a lot of the points. Gotta thank you big time Ryan for balling up on this one. You don't need this **** but its really appreciated from the fan base you responded.

Also RNH confirmed the point I was making yesterday that there was no way players were partying hard and coming to the rink hungover.

We have RNH, a poster boy for pleasantry, literally rolling his eyes at the garbage coming out of Ference's mouth about the team.

RNH even surprised, shocked by the statements, "I even thought we got along with Ference so why these comments now"

Yeah, no kidding eh? The team just wants to focus on this season and every game that comes up as they're fighting for a playoff spot and Mr fitness himself has to come out of the shed to piss and moan while defending arguably the worst coach in Oilers history.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
For people who are saying Ference should've done more or "why didn't he change the culture" blah blah. How do you suggest he would go about doing that? What can he actually do as a lone individual to rein in a bunch of spoiled brats? I'm genuinely curious because I just don't see what he could've possibly done to change those guys.

It's pretty obvious they didn't even respect him in the first place, and he acknowledges that he was just a #4/5 D, while they were a bunch of highly paid star players. What could he do to make them listen to him?

I think the only way to change immature kids like that is to have a really strong, veteran leadership group, preferably in addition to a legitimate coach and front office. Oilers had none of that. Suggesting that there was something that he could've done and that the whole situation reflects poorly on him is ridiculous to me.

That's the whole point.
He couldn't. And nobody would hold that against him except now he comes out slagging for no reason. Hes a douche.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Yeah, no kidding eh? The team just wants to focus on this season and every game that comes up as they're fighting for a playoff spot and Mr fitness himself has to come out of the shed to piss and moan while defending arguably the worst coach in Oilers history.

But pretty significantly Ference went to defend the worst performing player on this team, or in the whole org, Milan Lucic. Went specifically to bat for him, while calling out others. Not sure how that's going to sit well either. Would be nice for Milan to man up and say something to dispel Ference comments as well. That would be hard to do but might even be needed now. There could be thoughts that Milan and Andrew Ference had been in recent communication, or offseason, that precipitated this. I don't really know that Lucic can stay entirely quiet on his friends comments as Lucic is still here and he's front center in the comments. Hes the REASON the comments were made according to how the interview went down and that Ference first was speaking to defend his friend.

hmmm

I think @harpoon was right about a few more things.

Reactions: McAsuno

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I love RNH even more than I did before.

From Tych: It’s up to management, the coach, the captain and the veterans, to set them right, let them know there is a balance to be struck between enjoying the lifestyle they worked so hard to achieve and making the sacrifices it takes to be a winner.

I’ve maintained that all along in this thread. Management are the first that need to step to the plate. They didn’t. They failed miserably with that group. And it’s maddening to think they still have their hands on the tiller. They are arrogant, without fault, me first, I know a thing or two about winning, pricks and should have been fired 5 years ago.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
This is funny and typical of the Hall apologists.Ference makes an observation based on his experience. Imo based on everything I have ever heard and read its accurate. Then the Hall or whoever aplogists come out and say because Ference wasn't good while he was here, he shouldn't say it/they don't have merit. That makes sense Which is also funny because that guy got every ounce out of his abilities.
I guess Struddy shouldn't support Ference's comments (for all intents and purposes) because he was at the end of his career and no good when he was here.
What a joke

Nope.
Most of us are saying hes an ass for saying these things YEARS after they happened. Especially since he was in a position to do something about it.

And how do you know it's even Hall? The puke dosent even have the nads to name the players he spouting off about.

THAT'S the joke.
And FTR I'd take Struds at the end of his career over Ference prime.
He was nothing

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Well, RNH just dispelled a lot of the points. Gotta thank you big time Ryan for balling up on this one. You don't need this **** but its really appreciated from the fan base you responded.

RNH even surprised, shocked by the statements,; “But I’m a little surprised that he would come out now and say these things. It’s strange. I always got along with him, too.”

Clearly that evokes that these were blindside comments entirely out of the blue.
Especially coming from Nuge, who was known as the home body who liked staying home and gaming. If he is rolling his eyes at it, you know how bull it is.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Especially coming from Nuge, who was known as the home body who liked staying home and gaming. If he is rolling his eyes at it, you know how bull it is.

Was Eberle or Hall who commented that they were amused that when the hit Whyte Ave after an afternoon game out east people were shocked to see them back in town--I think the comment was some people underestimated how transportation worked

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
How do you know he didn't do that? Or that Eakins didn't tell management that? Pretty sure they knew. They just didn't do anything about it, or was incapable too.

So if this piece of work and his inept meal ticket did go to management, why didnt he slag them for allowing it to go on? He picks the easy targets in the 20 year olds because hes a spineless puke.

This player should be referenced every time the term 'cancer in the dressing room comes up'.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
You nor I have any idea if Ference tried to do anything. All we apparently know is he (nor anyone else) wasn't successful in doing it.
If he did try, its not hard to figure out why it didn't work. You have the Alpha guy who is acting like a *****e. And you have the guy who at the tail end of his career who was a 3-or 4 at his peak trying to lead. It aint going to happen if the young Alpha isn't ready to figure it out.

Ok. So...?
Who gives a s**t years later? What does he accomplish? And why does he care about it when he has a great new job with the NHL?

Because hes an asshole

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
[
But pretty significantly Ference went to defend the worst performing player on this team, or in the whole org, Milan Lucic. Went specifically to bat for him, while calling out others. Not sure how that's going to sit well either. Would be nice for Milan to man up and say something to dispel Ference comments as well. That would be hard to do but might even be needed now. There could be thoughts that Milan and Andrew Ference had been in recent communication, or offseason, that precipitated this. I don't really know that Lucic can stay entirely quiet on his friends comments as Lucic is still here and he's front center in the comments. Hes the REASON the comments were made according to how the interview went down and that Ference first was speaking to defend his friend.

hmmm

I think @harpoon was right about a few more things.
Well, one of Strudwick or Nuge is full of shit. Geez I wonder who.
"To say that guys were going out all the time and were showing up hung over, I don’t remember guys doing that at all,” said Nugent-Hopkins, who has evolved into the best two-way player on the team."

That frankly defies belief

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad