Interesting Info: Part XXI (Jackets-related "tidbits" here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
It's not something that happens all the time, but it's also not that uncommon for a guy who is buried on the depth chart to move on and get thrust into a bigger role on his new team and excel. It's basically what we did with Foligno, Panarin, Saad and Jones.

Granted Panarin, Jones and Saad were all studs before they got here, they just happened to have career years when they got put into the "go-to guy" category after coming to Columbus.
Sure but to do that the guy has to outperform the other guys above him on the depth chart in his limited capacity.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
That's probably a good thing.
I'm sure it is. I can't remember a time where I've seen Jimmy front and center at team events but Dee is frequently present at games, has been the face of the team around public events and promotions for the new stadium and represents the team as the first female member of the MLS Board of Governors. it is pretty safe to say she is running the ship.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Texier will be 22 and Foudy 21 entering this season. Young in real life, but at that age when you've been given plenty of NHL time where you either start showing that you belong in the NHL or the team has to move on from them-especially Texier.

Going 42 games without a goal isn't reflective of a coaching problem; it strongly suggests a talent problem.
A counter argument... was Wennberg's goal scoring this year an outlier then? Coaching, system and confidence was quite different for him. He played primarily a 3rd line role yet scored more goals in 56 games than the last three years COMBINED in Columbus. If talent is there, it's the coaches job to maximize it, not squelch it. I loved Torts and his play the right way mantra but not all players "right way" is the forecheck and 200ft game like they played in Columbus. One thing Wennberg offered in Columbus was an elite defense center. He was being paid to be a 25/60 (or more) type center but played in a 10/30 type system.

Don't give up on these guys yet. Let's see what a dose of confidence can do. I mean hell, we crushed Laine to beyond normal. Anyone who things he doesn't have the talent of a 40+ goal scorer hasn't watched his game but he too needs the right system and set up to achieve success again.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
A counter argument... was Wennberg's goal scoring this year an outlier then? Coaching, system and confidence was quite different for him. He played primarily a 3rd line role yet scored more goals in 56 games than the last three years COMBINED in Columbus. If talent is there, it's the coaches job to maximize it, not squelch it. I loved Torts and his play the right way mantra but not all players "right way" is the forecheck and 200ft game like they played in Columbus. One thing Wennberg offered in Columbus was an elite defense center. He was being paid to be a 25/60 (or more) type center but played in a 10/30 type system.

Don't give up on these guys yet. Let's see what a dose of confidence can do. I mean hell, we crushed Laine to beyond normal. Anyone who things he doesn't have the talent of a 40+ goal scorer hasn't watched his game but he too needs the right system and set up to achieve success again.
You would think Jarmo would have done some serious soul searching when this first happened with Karlsson years ago. Seeing a player like Karlsson leave the organization , and have so much more to give then what Torts utilized him as , should have resulted in a full autopsy of the coach and his staff at that point . When we look at our young players , we need to remember what Karlsson , Wennberg , Duclair have been able to do with the right coaching , and just playing with coincidence . Same goes for Domi and Laine

Reactions: We Want Ten

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
A counter argument... was Wennberg's goal scoring this year an outlier then?

I'm full of confidence that Texier is going to be a good player and I agree with the general point you're making. But this part has a clear answer and that is "no". Wennberg took 82 shots this year. That's all you need to know. That and he wasn't in a third line role until after the trade deadline, before that he was centering Huberdeau.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
You would think Jarmo would have done some serious soul searching when this first happened with Karlsson years ago. Seeing a player like Karlsson leave the organization , and have so much more to give then what Torts utilized him as , should have resulted in a full autopsy of the coach and his staff at that point . When we look at our young players , we need to remember what Karlsson , Wennberg , Duclair have been able to do with the right coaching , and just playing with coincidence . Same goes for Domi and Laine

Instead I doubt he ever held a meeting to talk about Karlsson or even gave him any thought because he was too busy figuring out how to be mean to players.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Instead I doubt he ever held a meeting to talk about Karlsson or even gave him any thought because he was too busy figuring out how to be mean to players.
And thats why Torts is out of a job, and seeing history repeat itself especially in Wennbergs case, probably why Jd was brought back into the fold . For an organization always looking for legit centers, they have shipped out both Karlsson and Wennberg. But yeah , nothing to see here..

Last edited:

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I'm full of confidence that Texier is going to be a good player and I agree with the general point you're making. But this part has a clear answer and that is "no". Wennberg took 82 shots this year. That's all you need to know. That and he wasn't in a third line role until after the trade deadline, before that he was centering Huberdeau.
Confidence takes a while to repair.. and absolutely having good teammates help for sure, especially when your controlling the puck, rather than dumping it constantly . I expect we will see an even better Alex Wennberg next season. Karlsson shot an absurd % his first yr away as well. Totally a case of a player getting confidence to match the skill they always had, and feeling it. Everyone said Karlsson would come back to earth , which he has to an extent, but both Karlsson and Wennberg are both showing that the talent level was there. Jarmo is pretty good in his assessment of talent.. however the coach and system him stripped away their creativity, they were micromanaged, line blended to death here. Thats the exciting part though, we cant change the past.. Jarmo should have understood this more quickly, but I do think this team will be dramatically better offensively, once the new staff is in place. Same with the powerplay.. I expect a pretty solid improvement, even if we enter a rebuild.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
And thats why Torts is out of a job, and especially in Wennbergs case, why Jd was brought back . For an organization always looking for legit centers, they have shipped out both Karlsson and Wennberg. But yeah , nothing to see here..

When you say nothing to see here, do you mean your own posting history re: Wennberg? Posts often taking him to task for not doing what his coach was asking him to do?

And can anyone tell me who was Jarmo's boss when Karlsson was "shipped out"?

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
When you say nothing to see here, do you mean your own posting history re: Wennberg? Posts often taking him to task for not doing what his coach was asking him to do?

And can anyone tell me who was Jarmo's boss when Karlsson was "shipped out"?
Sure, my perspective elvolved as I saw Karlsson shipped out and perform very steadily since then. Watched this season Wennberg realize the promise he once had, watched Duclair flourish, and watched Domi turn into a player that looked like he didnt belong in the nhl, and watched Laine who is one of the best goal scorers in the Nhl at his young age, look like he didnt even belong in the juniors. Are we supposed to die on the hill of our initial post, and not evolve ?

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
For as much bashing as this team gets over the expansion draft, do you realize Minnesota gave up Alex Tuch to the Knights so they would take Haula? I know I have the benefit of hindsight, but I’d much rather have Tuch than Anderson, Korpi, Karlsson, or anyone else we could have lost in the expansion draft.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
This argument is so tired. Yeah, Karlsson turned into a nice player after he left, but when he was here, we had people that carried the scoring load, and he was filling his role well. There was no need to see if he was a 1 or 2c. Had he not gone to Vegas, he would have stayed in his role and no one still would have known better as we still had others carrying the offence. Wow, on Duclair's 6th team in 7 years, and second go around with Quennville, he may finally get it. We'll see in the next few seasons if he is this guy, but he isn't here, so should we care? Wennberg scored 17 goals, but his assists were way down, and his point per game was his 4th best in 7 seasons. Big deal. His 20 % shooting is probably an outlier, but I guess we will see. Again, should we care? So far in the playoffs, Duclair is a stellar zero points and a -3, and Wennberg has 2 points and is a -2. Wennberg was better for the CBJ last year in the playoffs. All these guys, plus Torts are gone. Move on already.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
This argument is so tired. Yeah, Karlsson turned into a nice player after he left, but when he was here, we had people that carried the scoring load, and he was filling his role well. There was no need to see if he was a 1 or 2c. Had he not gone to Vegas, he would have stayed in his role and no one still would have known better as we still had others carrying the offence.

We don't know that. His game really came alive at the end of the season during the playoffs. Maybe the light switched and we sadly never got the opportunity to find out. In fact, there was a good chance he would have gotten his opportunity the next season since we didn't keep Sam Gagner. That next season began the Foligno at center experiments if I recall combined with Wennberg's regression.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
We don't know that. His game really came alive at the end of the season during the playoffs. Maybe the light switched and we sadly never got the opportunity to find out. In fact, there was a good chance he would have gotten his opportunity the next season since we didn't keep Sam Gagner. That next season began the Foligno at center experiments if I recall combined with Wennberg's regression.
True, he may have gotten a chance that year, but would it have been to the extent of his first year in Vegas, probably not. More like his last couple, maybe. We still played a different style than Vegas.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Tuned into the Oilers/Jets game and was surprised to hear Jody! Wonder how much longer he'll be regional doing Jackets games - could see ESPN picking him up for their hockey coverage.

Hopefully not for our sake. I like Jody even though I think he and Rimer are a disaster together

Reactions: Monstershockey

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Tuned into the Oilers/Jets game and was surprised to hear Jody! Wonder how much longer he'll be regional doing Jackets games - could see ESPN picking him up for their hockey coverage.

They always have to pick up extra guys for the playoffs. I think ESPN already announced some of their hires so I don't know how many more spots they have to fill.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Confidence takes a while to repair.. and absolutely having good teammates help for sure, especially when your controlling the puck, rather than dumping it constantly . I expect we will see an even better Alex Wennberg next season. Karlsson shot an absurd % his first yr away as well. Totally a case of a player getting confidence to match the skill they always had, and feeling it. Everyone said Karlsson would come back to earth , which he has to an extent, but both Karlsson and Wennberg are both showing that the talent level was there. Jarmo is pretty good in his assessment of talent.. however the coach and system him stripped away their creativity, they were micromanaged, line blended to death here. Thats the exciting part though, we cant change the past.. Jarmo should have understood this more quickly, but I do think this team will be dramatically better offensively, once the new staff is in place. Same with the powerplay.. I expect a pretty solid improvement, even if we enter a rebuild.

Jarmo was St. Louis Blues lead scout in 2010.. watch him rush to the podium and select Vlad Tarasenko. Jarmo is good at assessing talent and working with his scouts, he needs help managing the people. With Torts you two guys that both use big hammers. New coach can settle the lines down, and assess what we really have here. There is no way lines should be shifting every period like they have been under Torts. Chemistry is developed.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Reactions: CBJWerenski8
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad