Interesting Info: Part XXI (Jackets-related "tidbits" here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Just in case you didn't already have enough reasons to hate mainstream hockey media:

Probably haven't written about the CBJ since the Nash/Zherdev cover anyway.

$_32.JPG_5eaf2574b923a4.37751688.jpg

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014

Well that's another piece that has left Ottawa from the Matt Duchene trade.

Assuming Abramov (KHL now) and Davidsson (SHL now) would have had similar paths here, the Jackets gave up a 2019 1st round pick (used on Dman Lassi Thomson - who knows what Jarmo & co. would have done) for a couple months of Matt Duchene.

In hindsight, not so bad. But also in hindsight...they gave up Duclair and two 2nd rounders for Dzingel instead of offering that package for Mark Stone! Ottawa parted with Stone and a contract throw-in for Oscar Lindberg (out of the league by the 2019-2020 season), Erik Brannstrom, and a 2020 2nd round pick. Imagine the 2019 playoff team with Mark Stone and Anthony Duclair still on the roster (or even just Stone in place of Dzingel). Instead, we watched them rotate healthy scratches between Alex Wennberg and Ryan Dzingel.

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
Assuming Abramov (KHL now) and Davidsson (SHL now) would have had similar paths here, the Jackets gave up a 2019 1st round pick (used on Dman Lassi Thomson - who knows what Jarmo & co. would have done) for a couple months of Matt Duchene.

In hindsight, not so bad. But also in hindsight...they gave up Duclair and two 2nd rounders for Dzingel instead of offering that package for Mark Stone! Ottawa parted with Stone and a contract throw-in for Oscar Lindberg (out of the league by the 2019-2020 season), Erik Brannstrom, and a 2020 2nd round pick. Imagine the 2019 playoff team with Mark Stone and Anthony Duclair still on the roster (or even just Stone in place of Dzingel). Instead, we watched them rotate healthy scratches between Alex Wennberg and Ryan Dzingel.

We don't know for sure, but Jarmo could have offered something for Stone and they turned it down. We did trade our better prospects for Duchene. They may have wanted another 1st from us instead. Maybe they asked for Texier in a Stone trade

Reactions: NotWendell

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
We don't know for sure, but Jarmo could have offered something for Stone and they turned it down. We did trade our better prospects for Duchene. They may have wanted another 1st from us instead. Maybe they asked for Texier in a Stone trade

Oh no, not the guy who has 29 points in 87 career games!

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio

You're not wrong is concluding the Dzingel trade was a bad one for us.
I don't think you can conflate not trading for Stone into that. For example, that player may not have been there for an in-conference opponent to trade for.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Oh no, not the guy who has 29 points in 87 career games!

We also let William Karlsson go to keep Josh Anderson. It seems all too easy to overvalue your own picks.

Well we all know it’s what happens after a player is gone rather than before that determines whether something was a good idea or not.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Yeah I was hoping they'd get Stone, even more so than Duchene. But you'd be wrong in thinking they didn't try to get him. There was a report that Jarmo tried and was put off by the price for Stone. He probably offered significantly more than the Dzingel package, as you'd think anyone would. Or as I'd think, it seems to be not what you think. A few more things:

-- Ottawa tended to accept less to move their top guys out West, so the ask for Columbus might have been higher than Brannstrom+.

-- Brannstrom at that point was a top prospect. He was coming off a dominant season and has disappointed since. We didn't have anyone in the organizational pool at that level, so the ask might have been Texier + another 1st. Who knows. And yes Texier is still a very promising young player.

-- Stone was only willing to extend with Vegas. There were reports he rebuffed several clubs, and since the Jackets were one of the main trade suitors I would surmise the Jackets probably tried to talk to him about an extension and he said no.

Twain

Jul 1, 2019

Dzingel trade was definitely bad, but that same package wasn’t bringing back Mark Stone. Right now it might seem that Ottawa didn’t get a whole lot in return, because Erik Brannstrom has been underwhelming so far. But that’s also a hindsight thing, because at the time of the trade he was a really highly touted prospect.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
You're not wrong is concluding the Dzingel trade was a bad one for us.
I don't think you can conflate not trading for Stone into that. For example, that player may not have been there for an in-conference opponent to trade for.

True, and we'll never know if Jarmo asked about Stone and was simply told, "no." Sure fun to look back on, though.

I'm guessing Davidsson and Abramov would have had similar career paths here, which makes the Duchene trade not as bad in hindsight. Had they gone on to be top 6 forwards that would have been tougher to watch.

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
Anyone looking for youth CBJ jerseys the Dicks off Polaris has a boat load of Foligno (mostly Y L/XL) on sale. $34 plus another 15% off that. Regular price is $70.

Maybe they know something we don't about his return.:sarcasm:

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Jarmo was quoted somewhere, I do not remember exactly where, as saying that he could have obtained Stone if he was willing to include Bemstrum in the package and he said no.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Jarmo was quoted somewhere, I do not remember exactly where, as saying that he could have obtained Stone if he was willing to include Bemstrum in the package and he said no.

That would be quite something if we could find the quote.

I'd still be quite curious what the rest of the package was. Bemstrom hasn't shown much yet but if he was just the straw that broke the camel's back, i.e. Tex+Foudy+Bem then I'd get it.

And keep in mind that Stone's reported stance was that he would only sign with Vegas, so as a pure rental price it could be pretty darn steep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->