Interesting Info: Part XX (Jackets-related "tidbits" here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Watching "The Watch" on the IFC channel and I had forgotten that a CBJ pennant and jersey are hanging in Vince Vaughn's basement wall in that movie.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Brabham had big impact on Tortorella

Brabham, who passed away on March 30 at the age of 90, co-founded the ECHL with Bill Coffey in the summer of 1988.
Prior to the creation of the League, Brabham’s Virginia Lancers played in the Atlantic Coast Hockey League and All American Hockey League in the mid-1980s. It was there that Tortorella cut his teeth in the coaching ranks after the conclusion of his playing career in the 1985-86 season.
“I played for Henry in Virginia for a number of years and I am forever grateful to him,” Tortorella said. “I never even thought about coaching, I never thought I was going to stop playing, but I got injured and he came to me and gave me my first opportunity to start coaching. So I am forever indebted to him.”

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Not that we didn't already know all of this but:

Don Boyd, the Blue Jackets’ director of amateur scouting, had seen Anze Kopitar scores of times over the previous two seasons, especially the 2004-05 season when he played in Sweden.

Boyd saw a big-framed center with the hands, feet and smarts to be a No. 1 center, and he wanted the Blue Jackets to draft him with the No. 6 overall pick. There were other scouts who concurred with Boyd, but they couldn’t sway MacLean.

“It was totally Brule or Kopitar,” MacLean told Sportsnet in 2016. “Walking to the draft (that morning) I said to Boydy, and I’ll never forget these words: ‘How do we go with the Slovenian ahead of the Canadian?'”

MacLean had reservations — and he wasn’t alone — that Kopitar hadn’t faced strong enough competition growing up in Slovenia. His country didn’t qualify for the World Junior Championships, which is typically the way to get a read on draft-eligible players.

The Blue Jackets had met with Kopitar several times in the weeks leading up to the draft, sending whispers across the league that perhaps Boyd would get his wish. As the Blue Jackets sat at the draft table in Ottawa, Boyd and others continued to lobby.

Crosby, as expected, went No. 1 to the Penguins. Anaheim selected Bobby Ryan at No. 2, Carolina took Johnson at No. 3, and Minnesota took Benoit Pouliot at No 4. The first surprise of the draft came at No. 5 when Montreal selected goaltender Carey Price, allowing Brule to slide to No. 6.

MacLean stepped to the podium: “With the sixth overall pick in the 2005 draft, we are pleased and proud to select Gilbert Brule … ”

“Don Boyd loved Kopitar, as we all did,” MacLean said in a media scrum after the draft. “But this (Brule) is the guy we wanted, the gritty, hard-nosed skilled guy that we’re thrilled about. I think he’s a perfect fit for our mix right now. This guy just fits in like a glove. I’m telling you, I’m thrilled.”

Blue Jackets do-over: Drafting Gilbert Brule, not Anze...

Monk

Feb 5, 2008

And the video proof if anyone wanted to see it

To be fair, that video doesn't really disprove what DMac is saying... he's still a jagoff and what he says in the video is dumb (assuming it's in relation to a trade for Pronger and with some hindsight lenses), but the vid isn't as "damning" as I expected.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
To be fair, that video doesn't really disprove what DMac is saying... he's still a jagoff and what he says in the video is dumb (assuming it's in relation to a trade for Pronger and with some hindsight lenses), but the vid isn't as "damning" as I expected.

The video literally says what he's accused of.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
The video literally says what he's accused of.

I guess I was expecting to hear DMac actually say the name Pronger in the video. Or at least St. Louis, or in some way identify what was on the other end. You would have no idea what was happening without the narrator. Like I said, screw that guy, but this wasn't quite the smoking gun I expected. Thanks for sharing it, I wanted to see it ever since it was referenced.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
I guess I was expecting to hear DMac actually say the name Pronger in the video. Or at least St. Louis, or in some way identify what was on the other end. You would have no idea what was happening without the narrator. Like I said, screw that guy, but this wasn't quite the smoking gun I expected. Thanks for sharing it, I wanted to see it ever since it was referenced.

Well, just to clarify. This is an entire series that was done during the offseason, a hard knocks for the nhl if you will. The CBJ/Doug worked together with this filming team to make this documentary. So, if the narrator saying Pronger was in any way incorrect, it wouldn’t be in the show.

Reactions: DarkandStormy

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Well, just to clarify. This is an entire series that was done during the offseason, a hard knocks for the nhl if you will. The CBJ/Doug worked together with this filming team to make this documentary. So, if the narrator saying Pronger was in any way incorrect, it wouldn’t be in the show.

Ahh, I see. The gun does smoke more than I thought :)

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I just stumbled across this:

Haven't read it yet but I'm going to now!

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012

Is that series available?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad