Interesting Info: Part XX (Jackets-related "tidbits" here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I have decided that it's high time we retconned CBJ history and began insisting that Stinger was created as a reference to the Cincinnati Stingers. Who's with me?

If it turns out to actually be true, so much the better. But I can't find any verifying sources.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I have decided that it's high time we retconned CBJ history and began insisting that Stinger was created as a reference to the Cincinnati Stingers. Who's with me?

If it turns out to actually be true, so much the better. But I can't find any verifying sources.
That is EXACTLY what I've always told people (knowing full well it probably wasn't true)

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
As the 2020 NHL Entry Draft approaches, we decided to examine each team’s best and worst pick since the 2000 NHL Entry Draft. The biggest boom is a player that had the best value relative to where they were selected. Meaning, no one in the first round will be considered a team’s best value pick. However, the biggest bust picks will almost always be in the first round. We will examine each player, why they were picked where they were, and what their NHL career was like. Today, we look at the Columbus Blue Jackets draft, and their biggest boom and bust.

The full results are here
Columbus Blue Jackets Biggest Draft Boom and Bust since 2000

In the meantime, here is a taste with a look at one of our honourable mentions

Matt Calvert

Matt Calvert was drafted a round earlier than Atkinson at 127th overall. Having a reputation as an agitated customer, Calvert hasn’t often done himself any favours in popularity contests. See his hideous cross check across Tom Kuhnhackl’s back in 2017 for reference.

However, he does bring a raw consistency to his game, which is invaluable in a bottom-six role. You know he is going to score double-digit goals and put up 20 points every year. And spend some time in the box. His 10-year career reaping 200 points to date, beautifully illustrates this.

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
As the 2020 NHL Entry Draft approaches, we decided to examine each team’s best and worst pick since the 2000 NHL Entry Draft. The biggest boom is a player that had the best value relative to where they were selected. Meaning, no one in the first round will be considered a team’s best value pick. However, the biggest bust picks will almost always be in the first round. We will examine each player, why they were picked where they were, and what their NHL career was like. Today, we look at the Columbus Blue Jackets draft, and their biggest boom and bust.

The full results are here
Columbus Blue Jackets Biggest Draft Boom and Bust since 2000

In the meantime, here is a taste with a look at one of our honourable mentions

Matt Calvert

Matt Calvert was drafted a round earlier than Atkinson at 127th overall. Having a reputation as an agitated customer, Calvert hasn’t often done himself any favours in popularity contests. See his hideous cross check across Tom Kuhnhackl’s back in 2017 for reference.

However, he does bring a raw consistency to his game, which is invaluable in a bottom-six role. You know he is going to score double-digit goals and put up 20 points every year. And spend some time in the box. His 10-year career reaping 200 points to date, beautifully illustrates this.
Clavert will always be cool by me.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Power-ranking the NHL's eight most impressive breakout players of 2019-20 - Sportsnet.ca

4. Oliver Bjorkstrand, Columbus Blue Jackets

I’ve been on Bjorkstrand watch since he scored 50 goals in the WHL the season after being drafted (just ask my Tape To Tape Podcast co-host Ryan Dixon), and then showed a little something with eight points in his first 12 NHL games in 2015-16. It took a little longer than expected, perhaps, but Bjorkstrand really emerged for an inspiring Blue Jackets team this season and led them in goals at the pause with 21. In fact, Bjorkstrand’s 1.5 goals per 60 minutes of 5-on-5 play ranked sixth in the league, just behind David Pastrnak. His ice time was on the rise, too, with coach John Tortorella showing his faith in the player by giving him at least 20 minutes of ice in eight of the last 15 games he played before sustaining a leg injury in February.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Power-ranking the NHL's eight most impressive breakout players of 2019-20 - Sportsnet.ca

4. Oliver Bjorkstrand, Columbus Blue Jackets

I’ve been on Bjorkstrand watch since he scored 50 goals in the WHL the season after being drafted ............

When his career is over, I bet he would say the best thing ever to happen to him was to play two seasons with Artemi Panerin. Panerin and Bjorkstrand are similar in size and build. I think they are similar in speed, and they both play wing. But Panarin delivered more skill and play making. As I was watching full game replays of the Blue Jackets - Lightning series last spring, I was amazed at the number of times Bjorkstrand skated in with great looks and uncontested shots on Vasilevski. I think I remember somebody saying that Panerin worked with Bjorkstrand and helped him with things like puck battles along the wall, skating with the puck and drawing opponents to you.

Maybe I'm all wet here and maybe it was all set to happen anyway. But I would be interested to hear what Bjorkstrand would have to say someday on his time playing with Panerin.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I get the impression that everyone would be back except Anderson, who I thought was looking at more of a late summer return. Texier and Kukan possibly? But we would definitely be adding Atkinson, Bjorkstrand, Foudy, and Jones. Whatever the case, it’s going to be a different team going forward.

I think Anderson was slated to be back in July maybe, right? Something like 6-8 weeks from now. I haven't been following, are we really expecting the NHL to start playoffs before then?

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I doubt Texier is ready to take the ice. The only players who are allowed on the ice are players who are recovering from injury and I'm not sure he is even in Columbus right now to get any ice time even if he was recovered enough to be rehabbing on the ice.

I do recall someone reporting recently that Kukan is cleared to return whenever the time comes.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I doubt Texier is ready to take the ice. The only players who are allowed on the ice are players who are recovering from injury and I'm not sure he is even in Columbus right now to get any ice time even if he was recovered enough to be rehabbing on the ice.

I do recall someone reporting recently that Kukan is cleared to return whenever the time comes.

Texier has been skating for at least a month now, per Mixer. It's only the guys who were rehabbing that are allowed to use team facilities, I think.

Reactions: Iron Balls McGinty

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Anderson opted for shoulder surgery after rehab and PT didn't work. He's not due back until Camp, or whatever happens in the fall. Texier may not come back depending on how his fracture heals, although he's expected back in June I think. The others will be back for sure (Cam was activated prior to shutdown).

Here's The Athletic on Anderson's recovery timetable:

"Return date: Recovery from shoulder surgery is typically lengthy. Anderson was given a four- to six-month recovery timeline, which means a return window of July 2 to Sept. 2. “If we’re playing in August, he could be back playing for us,” Kekalainen said."
I'd be concerned if Texier wasn't ready to play. He has been skating for weeks now and is already well past the typical recovery timetable for his injury.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Here's The Athletic on Anderson's recovery timetable:

"Return date: Recovery from shoulder surgery is typically lengthy. Anderson was given a four- to six-month recovery timeline, which means a return window of July 2 to Sept. 2. “If we’re playing in August, he could be back playing for us,” Kekalainen said."
I'd be concerned if Texier wasn't ready to play. He has been skating for weeks now and is already well past the typical recovery timetable for his injury.
Agreed on Tex. I also don't see any way Andy is back before next season. He's not going to risk his shoulder not being 100% and I don't know anyone that had what he did, and have to play as demanding a game, come back before 6 months. Would love it but don't see it.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Agreed on Tex. I also don't see any way Andy is back before next season. He's not going to risk his shoulder not being 100% and I don't know anyone that had what he did, and have to play as demanding a game, come back before 6 months. Would love it but don't see it.

Do we know when the playoffs will be? I haven't heard one way or the other. If it's in July, I suspect you are right, but playoffs might come late August or September.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Do we know when the playoffs will be? I haven't heard one way or the other. If it's in July, I suspect you are right, but playoffs might come late August or September.

Well, sounds like they're going to jump straight into a 24-team tournament. They'll need ~2-3 weeks of a mini camp before that and I do wonder if they'll have any exhibition games. Sounds like both NHL and NBA targeting a June return timetable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad