Interesting Info: Part XX (Jackets-related "tidbits" here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Agreed Jarmo is his normal, candid self in there. Good read.

Am I the only one who’s not surprised but still disgusted at the subtle NY tint to a lot of the conversation?

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Analysis: Glass half full — how the Blue Jackets can be...

But the biggest reason for optimism in Columbus this season is this: The drama and dysfunction have passed, and in their place is a measure of defiance and resolve that hasn’t been felt among the Blue Jackets in at least two seasons.
Coach John Tortorella is going to love this bunch. His veteran players are pissed, not just that Bobrovsky, Panarin, Duchene, and others would walk away from a winning organization, but that most of the hockey world is back to seeing the Blue Jackets as also-rans.

The Blue Jackets, even after the wave of summer departures, have a deeper, more talented roster than either the Hurricanes or the Islanders.
Not only are the Jackets free of the drama and distractions that made the 2018-19 regular season such a labor, but they’re armed with an easy us-against-the-world mentality. That can only serve them well, and it could carry them a long way.

The Us against the World theme is already in place. Big Time. We'll see if it works.

Reactions: Fro

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
That was a great Q&A. Thanks for posting.

Interesting nuggets on Duchene and it sounds like they were hesitant to give up yet another first plus the big contract for him which was good to hear.

Yeah, I think they did their due diligence in terms of seeing if signing Duchene made sense but I don't think they were heart-broken with his decision. He ended up being a hired gun that helped the Jackets get over the first round hump. That's fine.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan

That was a great Q&A. Thanks for posting.

Interesting nuggets on Duchene and it sounds like they were hesitant to give up yet another first plus the big contract for him which was good to hear.

End of the 1st question about Duchene makes it seem like Panarin was the only 1 they really wanted to keep.

"It is what it is. Panarin was the guy we did everything to keep."

2019/20 CBJ: It Is What It Is

100% should be the team motto this year. Both Jones and Jarmo have said it in interviews regarding the "departures".

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Def showed we wanted Panarin and the last minute offer likely wasn't just a way to save face with the fans.

I'm guessing Duchene let the team down easy and the CBJ bowed out without a fight. Again it would be a huge price tag, but I think the CBJ wanted him, it's just the fact they knew Duchene was gone the second Nashville cleared cap room.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
The Jackets threw everything and the kitchen sink at Panarin. He just didn't want it. Bright lights were calling.

Jackets tried to sway Bobrovsky to re-consider staying by making him various contract offers throughout the season, but as things piled up (Panarin for sure leaving, team struggling, and then of course the Tampa incident) the CBJ felt it would be best to move on as well. Eventually a mutual parting, with some hurt feelings.

I think they had a professional talk with Duchene, but both sides knew he was going to Nashville unless Columbus threw a 10+ million offer at him. Jackets didn't want to do that AND lose a draft pick. Mutual parting for both sides.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
End of the 1st question about Duchene makes it seem like Panarin was the only 1 they really wanted to keep.

"It is what it is. Panarin was the guy we did everything to keep."

2019/20 CBJ: It Is What It Is

100% should be the team motto this year. Both Jones and Jarmo have said it in interviews regarding the "departures".

Because they can't change what happened, so there's no point in dwelling on it when they have their own shit to worry about what is happening now or in the future. You learn from it and move on.

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Sergei Mozyakin: The Greatest Blue Jacket who never was
The Blue Jackets, with the 263rd overall selection, drafted forward Sergei Mozyakin...........
Simply put, Mozyakin, a superstar in Russia, has been one of the hockey world’s dominating players over the past two decades, a player many compare to NHL great Ray Whitney and some say would have been a perennial NHL All-Star.
He’s the all-time leading scorer in the history of Russia’s KHL (326-368-694 in 590 games), having led the league in points six times and in goals four times. He’s twice been MVP of the league and twice been MVP of the playoffs.

Good read.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
I promise I'll stop talking about this by the start of the season, but holy crap, after sweeping the Lightning, too few of our key guys showed up in the Boston series. That still burns my a**.

We needed Anderson to be a bigger influence on that series. He tried too hard and took himself out of his element. He was perfect against Tampa because they had nobody to deal with him. Boston had brawlers to deal with him, and while he wasn't bad in the series, he wasn't great either. If Anderson played the way Jenner did, we would have had a very good chance.

Outside of game one in Tampa, Foligno was pretty meh all playoff long as well. We needed more.

Bjorkstrand, Texier, Wennberg, and Atkinson were rag dolled and rendered useless. Atkinson at least had opportunities to score though, the other three were lost, but not for lack of effort from Bjork or Texier, they just go pushed around.

All in all I think we could have beaten Boston in the ECF when they had went a few rounds. If we had the Hurricanes route and got to play Boston in the ECF, I think we go to the final.

Last edited:

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
The CBJ-Boston Game 5 is on NHL Network right now (Monday night). Yep, we're still losing!

That game ended the series. We battled back so hard to tie it late only for a bad read on defense to cost us dearly moments later. We win that game, maybe a different story.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Stuff like this is why I forgive Portzline so very, very much. Because, let's face it - as a rumor-monger, he's awful. Constantly wildly speculating, hardly ever distinguishes between what he's heard and what he thinks, and almost never gets it right. But on this actual long-form reporting, going and finding the uncovered angle? He's f***ing brilliant. I'd argue he's one of the best in the NHL.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad