Interesting Info: Part XX (Jackets-related "tidbits" here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
https://www1.ticketmaster.com/second-round-home-game-4-columbus-blue-jackets/event/01005667F30B833E

If you are willing to part with $649.50 (plus fees) you can still buy a box office club seat at the TD Garden for game 7. Cheapest seats in the arena are $299. The gate for a Bruins second round game is probably around $7 million-about 3 times the revenue of a CBJ second round game.

And yet tickets are floating around on the secondary market round here for close to face value for game 6. It's like Columbus casual fans are jumping off the bandwagon already.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
And yet tickets are floating around on the secondary market round here for close to face value for game 6. It's like Columbus casual fans are jumping off the bandwagon already.
The higher priced tickets are holding their own on tickpick.com. Cheapest Lower Bowl Center are $280 and the rest are $300+.

All said, a very positive economic experience for the CBJ these playoffs.

Reactions: CBJ AZ goalie

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'll put the actual stats here for the record, whether Bus wants to know or not.

Enough with this false narrative. Thanks.

What you seem to remember is, "Jones pairing" Werenski and "non Jones pairing" Werenski.

And now we see the narrative that Jones carried Werenski. Look at the GF% column - in the regular season Werenski had much better results without Jones. Those two were a bad combination until things clicked in the final weeks.

Just like you need to check how the PP minutes were spread out between the 2, and when exactly these deployments essentially swapped, and how it affected the teams PP numbers.

Both Werenski and Jones got plenty of chances on the top PP unit this year, and in the regular season the top unit was much better with Werenski than with Jones. Jones did not produce much with Panarin's unit, until the playoffs when he was the better powerplay D. Using this tool, you can use Bjorkstrand as a proxy for the second PP unit, or switch it to Panarin to use as a proxy for the top unit.

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I'll put the actual stats here for the record, whether Bus wants to know or not.

And now we see the narrative that Jones carried Werenski. Look at the GF% column - in the regular season Werenski had much better results without Jones. Those two were a bad combination until things clicked in the final weeks.

Both Werenski and Jones got plenty of chances on the top PP unit this year, and in the regular season the top unit was much better with Werenski than with Jones. Jones did not produce much with Panarin's unit, until the playoffs when he was the better powerplay D. Using this tool, you can use Bjorkstrand as a proxy for the second PP unit, or switch it to Panarin to use as a proxy for the top unit.

I don't care about this with/without BS. These "numbers" DO NOT mean what you are attempting to claim. Jones does carry Werenski. And Jones is better on the PP.

The ACTUAL STATS are this... Werenski played 7 more games than Jones. Werenski played 200 minutes on the PP, and Jones played 175 min. CBJ scored 20 times with Werenski on the ice, 14 with Jones. So just under 1 goal a game if you consider the extra 7 games. Doesn't seem like "much better results" to me. There's no way Jones should go an entire year without a PP goal. Why do you think things were so different at the end of the year and into the playoffs with Jones RUNNING the PP?

Where can we simply get the CBJ PP% with each guy?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I don't care about this with/without BS. These "numbers" DO NOT mean what you are attempting to claim.

Where can we simply get the CBJ PP% with each guy?

:popcorn:

You want the "with" but not the "with/without". Okay, don't look at the "without".

It measures the same thing as PP% by player.

I can't find a PP% by player stat anywhere but there are workarounds if you want to approximate it. You can just use the same line tool and replace one of Werenski or Jones with a guy who wouldn't be on the PP, like Robinson, and then ignore his columns and focus on the Werenski w/o Robinson or Jones w/o Robinson column. You can then divide the GF/60 by 30 to get a close approximation of the PP % with each guy. Or do the math yourself: divide the goal counts by the minutes and normalize it to 2 minutes (multiply by 2).

By the first method, Werenski had a 5.47 GF/60 (approximately 18.2% on the PP, about the 19th team in the league), and Jones a 4.18 GF/60 (approximately 13.93%, about 29th in the league.)

By the second method, at 5 v 4 I see 198 minutes for Werenski and 18 goals, and 172 minutes for Jones and 12 goals. 18/198 * 2 is 18.2%. 12/172*2 is 13.95%.

Doesn't seem like "much better results" to me.

It's 30% more. The 19th ranked PP was 30% more successful than the 29th. The 7th ranked PP was 30% more successful than the 19th.

I know you will be quick to say "USAGE", that it's only because Werenski played with better players, or some such. But Jones actually had terrible numbers with the top unit, far worse with Panarin than with Bjorkstrand.

Jones does carry Werenski. And Jones is better on the PP.

Maybe Jones just had a rough year at it? I don't know. I'm just looking at results.

Why do you think things were so different at the end of the year and into the playoffs with Jones RUNNING the PP?

Surely some combination of Jones playing better and the Jackets playing better systems with Martin St. Louis coaching.

Last edited:

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
World War II veteran McCauley has unique place in history

When John H. McConnell decided to open his steel business in 1955, he took out a $600 loan using his Oldsmobile as collateral. Soon, that business would blossom into Worthington Industries, a billion-dollar company that became one of Columbus' corporate titans.

And eventually, with the growing city calling out for its first entry into one of the four major sports, McConnell stepped to the table to help make the Blue Jackets happen, leading a group of investors who secured the team before becoming the franchise's majority owner, chairman and governor.

Lawrence McCauley can confirm the story's humble beginnings thanks to the unique role he played in it. McCauley saw McConnell walk into his branch of Ohio National Bank on the 1955 day it all began and immediately recognized a kindred spirit.

Both were hard-working men from humble beginnings who grew up during the Great Depression -- McCauley as one of seven kids from Lancaster, Ohio, and McConnell the son of a steel worker from Pughtown, W.Va. Both were World War II veterans, with McCauley one of the heroic Americans who stormed the beach at Normandy and McConnell serving on the U.S.S. Saratoga in the Pacific theater.

They even shared a name, in a way, as the two would go on to call each other "Mac" given their similar surnames until McConnell's passing in 2008.

In other words, it didn't take McCauley long on that 1955 day to come to a handshake deal with McConnell on that $600 loan.

"He landed in our parking lot of the bank," McCauley, now 96 and living in Lewis Center, told BlueJackets.com. "He comes in the door and I said, 'Come over here,' sat him down at the desk and we hit it off right then. He needed 600 bucks, and I loaned him the 600 bucks."

The rest, as they say, is history. And for his part in the history of our country, McCauley was chosen as the Blue Jackets' Elk & Elk Military Salute honoree during the first home game of the Stanley Cup Playoffs, standing beside Leo Welsh for the national anthem during Game 3 of the Tampa Bay series and then being honored by a standing ovation in the arena during one of the first-period media timeouts.

cut.jpg

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
World War II veteran McCauley has unique place in history

When John H. McConnell decided to open his steel business in 1955, he took out a $600 loan using his Oldsmobile as collateral. Soon, that business would blossom into Worthington Industries, a billion-dollar company that became one of Columbus' corporate titans.

And eventually, with the growing city calling out for its first entry into one of the four major sports, McConnell stepped to the table to help make the Blue Jackets happen, leading a group of investors who secured the team before becoming the franchise's majority owner, chairman and governor.

Lawrence McCauley can confirm the story's humble beginnings thanks to the unique role he played in it. McCauley saw McConnell walk into his branch of Ohio National Bank on the 1955 day it all began and immediately recognized a kindred spirit.

Both were hard-working men from humble beginnings who grew up during the Great Depression -- McCauley as one of seven kids from Lancaster, Ohio, and McConnell the son of a steel worker from Pughtown, W.Va. Both were World War II veterans, with McCauley one of the heroic Americans who stormed the beach at Normandy and McConnell serving on the U.S.S. Saratoga in the Pacific theater.

They even shared a name, in a way, as the two would go on to call each other "Mac" given their similar surnames until McConnell's passing in 2008.

In other words, it didn't take McCauley long on that 1955 day to come to a handshake deal with McConnell on that $600 loan.

"He landed in our parking lot of the bank," McCauley, now 96 and living in Lewis Center, told BlueJackets.com. "He comes in the door and I said, 'Come over here,' sat him down at the desk and we hit it off right then. He needed 600 bucks, and I loaned him the 600 bucks."

The rest, as they say, is history. And for his part in the history of our country, McCauley was chosen as the Blue Jackets' Elk & Elk Military Salute honoree during the first home game of the Stanley Cup Playoffs, standing beside Leo Welsh for the national anthem during Game 3 of the Tampa Bay series and then being honored by a standing ovation in the arena during one of the first-period media timeouts.

cut.jpg

I was thinking ‘I know this story’. But I was at that game when he was the military honoree and they shared a lot of that in the TV timeout when they recognized him.

My family is not a ‘military’ family. I do not hew to traditional definitions of roles and such. But I said to my buddy ‘that is a man right there.’

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I was thinking ‘I know this story’. But I was at that game when he was the military honoree and they shared a lot of that in the TV timeout when they recognized him.

My family is not a ‘military’ family. I do not hew to traditional definitions of roles and such. But I said to my buddy ‘that is a man right there.’
I said exactly the same thing.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Was a great deal for both teams. Jones is the better player, but Johansen is still a stud in his own right. Both teams do this trade again, and both teams got better from it.

They got better from the trade, that's not hard to do when you have an extreme positional imbalance. But if they get a do-over I'm pretty sure Nashville would keep Jones and trade one of their other D for Johansen or similar low-end 1C. Ryan Ellis might have been worth more in 2015. Out of their 5 high-end D they traded the one that was about to explode in value.

Reactions: Palm Tree

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
And even though Johanson is such a studly number one C, the Preds were compelled to move a top pair D in Subban to make cap room for another high end center.
Subban's not a top pairing dman anymore-his play dropped off considerably last year and has a $9 million AAV.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
And even though Johanson is such a studly number one C, the Preds were compelled to move a top pair D in Subban to make cap room for another high end center.

"Even though Dubois is such a studly number one C, the Jackets were compelled to move multiple top picks and prospects for another high end center."

You can never have enough centers, and they knew Duchene wanted them. They didn't want to dump Subban. They would have much rather traded Turris, but nobody wanted him. Subban was the only one who could bring in a moderate return, and even though the return was bad, as CR said, he dropped off a cliff last year.

Last edited:

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Any Quebec ER visits rumored this summer? Hope not.

I'm very glad the CBJ have Jones and Dubois, and I'm very glad of the direction the team has gone for a handful of years now and glad that it seems to now just be paying off as multiple layers of "fat" have been cut away.

Like in the past with the Jones trade, I see the end of last year as the beginning NOT an end, as many around here seem to feel and did feel back then when we traded our "only 1C ever".

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
......, I see the end of last year as the beginning NOT an end, as many around here seem to feel and did feel back then when we traded our "only 1C ever".
See, this sounds optimistic. But another comment you expressed thoughts about DuBois regressing so we could sign him at a lower price next year. Together, I don't understand those things . I know you clarified, but I just don't understand.

I'm not saying you can't believe that. I'm not saying you are not entitled. I'm certainly not saying you are wrong.

I just can't understand.........(and it's not important that I do...no response necessary).

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
"Even though Dubois is such a studly number one C, the Jackets were compelled to move multiple top picks and prospects for another high end center."

You seriously comparing current day Dubois to Johanson? That's...something.

Dubois isn't a number one center and shouldn't be considered one for at least a few more years, his production could fall like a rock without Panarin on his wing.

Reactions: Toe Pick

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
You seriously comparing current day Dubois to Johanson? That's...something.

Dubois isn't a number one center and shouldn't be considered one for at least a few more years, his production could fall like a rock without Panarin on his wing.

Dubois and Johansen being compared? What a shock that is.

I'll wait and see on how Dubois does over the next year or two, but coming off of nearly identical seasons production-wise, we should absolutely expect to see Dubois and Johansen compared. And it's not likely Dubois lacks the tools to match or surpass Johansen. Sluggish 14 goal 60 pt center is not some insurmountable height.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig