Interesting Info: Part XIV (All Jackets-related "tidbits" in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug19

Oct 14, 2008
Columbus, OH
so sick of hearing about Corsi who keeps or tracks these stats? Joey + Jenner was a terrible combo? Apparently my eyes are blind there. And of course the Johnson makes those around him terrible, again my eyes are blind. Can't stand the use of Corsi.

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
a look at the "With or Without You" numbers of this team by the Coach...

http://www.theunionblue.com/2014/06/17/look-2013-14-cbj-wowy-numbers/

37369202.jpg

But seriously. Good on him for taking all the time to do that, but I'd rather just watch my team and enjoy the games.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
a look at the "With or Without You" numbers of this team by the Coach...

http://www.theunionblue.com/2014/06/17/look-2013-14-cbj-wowy-numbers/

James Wisniewski: Every player, with the exception of Gaborik, Prout, and Savard, is better when James Wisniewski is on the ice. That makes complete sense as well. Gaborik’s stats are a little screwed up by the Kings, while Prout and Savard are also right-handed defensemen. That means that someone was playing their wrong side when they were on the ice together, which makes the slight drop offs logical. Wisniewski also has the benefit of easier usage than most of the Jackets defense, which no doubt contributes here. However, Ryan Murray had slightly easier usage and didn’t fare even close to as well as Wisniewski.

That'll sure make some people round here have a heart attack.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
That'll sure make some people round here have a heart attack.
The real question is, is that due to Wiz being a better player, or is it due to everyone else stepping up their game because they know how things will go with him out there? ;)

Honestly, I'm not very sold on the effectiveness of these things from year to year. Remember when Tyutin-Nikitin was one of the best blueline pairings in the NHL? :(

Arch City Zach

Jun 10, 2011
Columbus, OH
archcityarmy.com
The real question is, is that due to Wiz being a better player, or is it due to everyone else stepping up their game because they know how things will go with him out there? ;)

Honestly, I'm not very sold on the effectiveness of these things from year to year. Remember when Tyutin-Nikitin was one of the best blueline pairings in the NHL? :(

They were that one season, when we picked up Nikki. Sad that he never reached that height again.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
It makes me wonder how this team was successful.

Is it our goaltending? No, Bob was great his first season but he was rather average this past season.

Is it our forwards? No, we don't have anyone of note besides Johansen. He was really the only difference maker. The other guys are just a bunch of 2nd, 3rd, or 4th liners.

Is it our defense? Apparently not. According to many on here, Wisniewski is a bum and Jack Johnson is basically the grim reaper. Obviously Tyutin isn't that great nor are Prout, Savard, and Nikitin.

What I'm getting at is I think it's time to improve our opinions of guys like Wisniewski and Johnson. The team is built around its defense and, like it or not, was successful with them leading it.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

Is it our goaltending? No, Bob was great his first season but he was rather average this past season.

Is it our forwards? No, we don't have anyone of note besides Johansen. He was really the only difference maker. The other guys are just a bunch of 2nd, 3rd, or 4th liners.

Is it our defense? Apparently not. According to many on here, Wisniewski is a bum and Jack Johnson is basically the grim reaper. Obviously Tyutin isn't that great nor are Prout, Savard, and Nikitin.

What I'm getting at is I think it's time to improve our opinions of guys like Wisniewski and Johnson.

What? He was nowhere close to his first season here, but honestly who expected him to repeat that season. Discounting backups/goalies without 30 or more games played, he was top 10 in every goalie category from GAA, Save %, and likely would have been in Wins too if it wasn't for his injury. He had a good season, just because he wasn't a Vezina candidate again doesn't mean he was average.

Wisniewski had 50 points and coupled with Johnson and Johansen's emergence it got us a fairly decent powerplay for the first time in forever. Given the way Johnson played in the PO and his history of playing big time in big games, I wouldn't move on from either of them. I would add to them, not ship them out.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
The Blues didnt trade him for Kris Russell because they wanted to give us a nice deal :laugh:

Both players were in exactly the same situation: a system/skill mismatch that landed them in the press box and in need of a change of scenery.

Both teams are quite happy with how it turned out. And depending on whether Nikitin returns or if his UFA rights are traded for something, could still net something positive in addition to easily the best years of his career.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
What? He was nowhere close to his first season here, but honestly who expected him to repeat that season. Discounting backups/goalies without 30 or more games played, he was top 10 in every goalie category from GAA, Save %, and likely would have been in Wins too if it wasn't for his injury. He had a good season, just because he wasn't a Vezina candidate again doesn't mean he was average.

Wisniewski had 50 points and coupled with Johnson and Johansen's emergence it got us a fairly decent powerplay for the first time in forever. Given the way Johnson played in the PO and his history of playing big time in big games, I wouldn't move on from either of them. I would add to them, not ship them out.

I'll concede your point about Bobrovsky because I thought he played well and my point was more that he didn't single-handedly carry us into the playoffs like he almost did his first season. (Nobody should have been expecting a repeat of his insane Vezina stats.)

But I also am getting at your last point. Obviously Corsi goes against Johnson, but he's a PPG player in the playoffs in both LA and here in Columbus and since coming to Columbus has drastically improved his numbers.

I'm saying that the view that Johnson and Wisniewski are huge detriments probably needs to be changed.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I'll concede your point about Bobrovsky because I thought he played well and my point was more that he didn't single-handedly carry us into the playoffs like he almost did his first season. (Nobody should have been expecting a repeat of his insane Vezina stats.)

But I also am getting at your last point. Obviously Corsi goes against Johnson, but he's a PPG player in the playoffs in both LA and here in Columbus and since coming to Columbus has drastically improved his numbers.

I'm saying that the view that Johnson and Wisniewski are huge detriments probably needs to be changed.

Ok got it. Agreed.

It'll take a while for Wiz to shake his label as nobody really watched him in the regular season when he was very good and only watched his playoff when he was atrocious.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Fun fact that completely goes against a common belief here:

For the drafts including and between 2004-2013, the Jackets have had the most 3rd Round-or later picks player more than 50 games (11). That's a 20% success rate. That's two more than the next highest team.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

What I'm getting at is I think it's time to improve our opinions of guys like Wisniewski and Johnson. The team is built around its defense and, like it or not, was successful with them leading it.

Couldn't be coaching could it? :sarcasm:

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
For the drafts including and between 2004-2013, the Jackets have had the most 3rd Round-or later picks player more than 50 games (11). That's a 20% success rate. That's two more than the next highest team.

Is it much of a success if Columbus at least was the easiest place to get 50+ games...

---

Depth
Defence
Goalie
Forwards

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
i'm not much of a corsi guy either...just interesting to read those kinda of stats and how they compare with the eye test...

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Is it much of a success if Columbus at least was the easiest place to get 50+ games...

---

Depth
Defence
Goalie
Forwards

Sure, there's a lot of grinders but a lot of guys meet this criteria without Columbus games counted.

Mason, Russell, Boll, Atkinson, Calvert, Savard, Dorsett, Clitsome, Sestito, Prout, Petrell.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Couldn't be coaching could it? :sarcasm:

Obviously coaching goes a long way, but ultimately it's up to the players to do the work.

Sure, there's a lot of grinders but a lot of guys meet this criteria without Columbus games counted.

Mason, Russell, Boll, Atkinson, Calvert, Savard, Dorsett, Clitsome, Sestito, Prout, Petrell.
Of the players the Jackets have drafted and then moved, I'd say that our later picks have been more successful than many of our top-10 guys like Leclaire, Picard, Brule, and Filatov. Then you have Zherdev who was kinda successful (lead the Rangers in scoring) but left after a single season and has since declined.

Last edited:

thebus2288*

so sick of hearing about Corsi who keeps or tracks these stats? Joey + Jenner was a terrible combo? Apparently my eyes are blind there. And of course the Johnson makes those around him terrible, again my eyes are blind. Can't stand the use of Corsi.

Thank you. These advanced numbers are ridiculous and don't prove anything the vast majority of the time. They are not stats. There's so many different variables in play that you can't just throw a single number out there to show value.

thebus2288*

Johnson yes, Wiz no. Hell most of you guys seem to believe that Wiz is the more important of the 2.

Our opinions need to improve on Foligno, Anisimov, Calvert and Savard.

And I have a problem with the last part. I think that's been the popular thought the last couple years and a main reason why people didn't want to pick Murray. We have good organizational depth on the back end but if you ask me I think we could use more help back there than with the forwards. We're a young team from top to bottom but I cant see how you can say we've been "led" by our defense.

thebus2288*

Ok got it. Agreed.

It'll take a while for Wiz to shake his label as nobody really watched him in the regular season when he was very good and only watched his playoff when he was atrocious.

Johnson has an unfair label. The only difference between Wiz's playoffs and regular season is the points he didn't get when the games got tougher.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Fun fact that completely goes against a common belief here:

From the same article, I presume - "if you change the more than 50 games played to players in the top 100 in season scoring,the list makes more sense. Columbus is nowhere to be found,..."

So good news, bad news.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Two accusations of Dispatch Mind Control in today's paper.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/sto...riks-playoff-performanceraises-questions.html

Ray: A year and a half ago, we sent three players, including a promising No. 1 defenseman, to the New York Rangers for Marian Gaborik. He played OK but the Blue Jackets didn’t make the playoffs.

This season, Gabby got hurt twice, was out a significant amount of time and then was traded to the Los Angeles Kings for draft picks and a player who sat the bench.

The reason for the trade is that he’s not what he used to be, doesn’t fit in. But when did Gabby get a chance to recover from injury? How do you trade a 40-plus goal scorer when you need him most, in the playoffs? He led the entire NHL in playoff goals with 14, and no one else was close! He is now a Stanley Cup champion.

The Jackets, meanwhile, got knocked out in the first round, all of their losses by one goal. Could Gabby have helped us? There’s little question he could have. Instead, we got rid of him and got nothing in return. With decisions like this, we are supposed to have confidence in our leadership?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Editor: As a lifelong Rangers fan, I need to comment about the tasteless journalism exhibited byThe Dispatch throughout the NHL playoffs.

The Rangers were an inspiring story, rallying around a teammate whose mother unexpectedly passed away to win tough series against the Flyers, Penguins and Canadiens. They gave us 25 wildly entertaining games, and came within a few goalposts and tough calls of winning the Cup.

Meanwhile, The Dispatch wrote multiple negative articles about them, including that the CBJ would have made a better playoff team and then, after the wild ride to the finals, that the Rangers were lucky not to face CBJ in the playoffs.

This type of “hometown†reporting is a joke, and let’s remember that the Rangers came into Columbus and beat them when the two teams were neck and neck during the playoff drive.

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad