Interesting Info: Part XIV (All Jackets-related "tidbits" in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Can't find the youtube but watching channel 4, glad to see Dubinsky and Meyers Jewelers keeping alive the tradition of awkward commercials featuring Blue Jackets

e64e9a17f700c76b79cd613a4c37dc50.jpg

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
If we miss the playoffs with the standings as they are now we would pick 7th. If we were 2 pts better and in, we'd pick 16th (assuming a quick exit). The lopsidedness of the conferences makes this strange.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
If we miss the playoffs with the standings as they are now we would pick 7th. If we were 2 pts better and in, we'd pick 16th (assuming a quick exit). The lopsidedness of the conferences makes this strange.

Well, don't assume a quick exit!

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
Commodore Interview:

For fans outside of the market, particularly those in Canada who know nothing about the city, what can you tell us about Columbus? The team, the fans, the city itself.
In my opinion Columbus is a kind of a hidden gem. I loved it there. Its a really good city. Although the way things turned out with the Blue Jackets, the reason and terms I left on still pisses me off, I can't blame the city of the fans. The fans there are fantastic. My first year there when we made the playoffs the fans were AWESOME. Great rink too. I can think of a couple NHL teams who could use that model of arena and area when building a new rink.

http://habshermy11.blogspot.com/2013/11/i-would-have-loved-to-have-stayed-in.html?spref=tw

The Arniel stuff is enlightening to say the least...

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
i know there's two sides to every story, but that meshes with what i had heard...so even more **** Arniel...

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
i know there's two sides to every story, but that meshes with what i had heard...so even more **** Arniel...

It absolutely goes with what at least 1 player and 1 media guy had to say about it.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Commodore Interview:

http://habshermy11.blogspot.com/2013/11/i-would-have-loved-to-have-stayed-in.html?spref=tw

The Arniel stuff is enlightening to say the least...

Pretty consistent with everything I have ever heard of Arniel. No idea why Howson put up with him. The only thing that was new to me, was the part about not liking single players.

Arniel told his coaches to get rid of analysis from outside of his staff on our PP. His arrogance was legendary.

That is pretty much my understanding of how things went down. I remember saying that Commie was playing better than those above him on the depth chart. We were losing and it still wouldn't sub Commie in; with some pretty bad play from those in the lineup.

I also remember wondering what was going on with Ariel and Brassard as well.

To be fair, I didn't understand Johansen with Richards(on) for a while.

Nice find.

Last edited:

QTMcWhiskers

Playoff Avatar Stays
Jun 22, 2006
Columbus, OH
100options.bandcamp.com
Pretty good read. I never disliked Commodore, but was always skeptical over what really went down his last year with the CBJ - supposed bad play to be scratched, the partying with the young guys rumors - but this part of the interview... well, I would like some validation from another player in that locker room in the future:

You mentioned that it still irks you how things ended in Columbus, how DID things end over there?
Here is how it went down in Columbus.

Scott Arniel came into Columbus as a first time NHL head coach, and he came in there loaded with jealousy and arrogance. His mindset was "now I am an NHL coach and I am going to get even for any shortcomings in my playing career".

Scott Arniel played pro hockey a long time at the NHL and AHL level. Scott Arniel didn't think he was paid enough for the time he put in. He didn't like guys that weren't married. Because in his words "I wish you guys had a wife and kids when you came to the NHL so you know how much they cost". He actually said that in a meeting. So needless to say if you were single with no kids (which I was and am) and you were making good money (I was the highest paid defenseman in the organization) you were in trouble. Big trouble.

I broke my thumb the first game of the year in a fight....missed 6 weeks. Came back and was playing some of the best hockey of my career....my stats for that year finished at 20 games played, 2 game winning goals, 3 assists, 44 pims, and -8.

I was playing against top lines...the only stat that doesn't look good is the plus minus. Pitt beat us 9-1 one night and I was -4. Other then that 1 game my plus minus was just like everyone elses on the team. Anyways...I was playing well....then he scratched me 10 games in a row. Refused to meet with me. Wouldn't play me. The team was getting spanked left and right while I was being scratched...still wouldn't play me.

2 reasons.....he was jealous that I was single and making good cash...and secondly he is extremely arrogant and wanted more power in the organization. By scratching me who looks bad? Well first off I do. And secondly the GM looks terrible cause he is the one that signed me to be the highest paid defenseman on the team. So what ends up happening? I want a trade so Arniel kicks me off the team, I get bought out - and no matter what the reason is a buyout is a black mark against you. And its been downhill from that point forward.

I know it sounds kinda crazy....but I put a lot of time into this and those are the reasons. If I was playing like **** I would say so. I was a pretty good player in Columbus. My first year was great, my second year I played the whole year with groin problems, and the third year arrogant jealous Scott Arniel got hired and that's the end of the story.

The next season he tried the same tactics with Derrick Brassard, another single guy making good money, but fortunately for Derrick - Arniel got canned before he could finish him off.

Look at Scott Arniel's coaching record. Its awful. And he had good players.

RogerSterling

Aug 25, 2013
Sounds like he's still extremely bitter about his treatment under Arniel. I wonder what Arniel's side of the story is. He seems to be doing fine with Nash, Brassard, and Dorsett in New York. I highly doubt the Rangers would've let Vigneault add Arniel to their coaching staff if he would cause problems with the former Jackets there.

I'm sure there's a lot of truth to Commodore's story. I bet he's also telling it in a way that sheds a very favorable light on himself and a very unfavorable light on Arniel.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
Pretty good read. I never disliked Commodore, but was always skeptical over what really went down his last year with the CBJ - supposed bad play to be scratched, the partying with the young guys rumors - but this part of the interview... well, I would like some validation from another player in that locker room in the future:

I have it direct from a former player. One with a wife and kids. His direct quote on this was "Commodore got F-ed. How do you sit a guy better than the guys playing when the team was struggling?" There were some other choice words about Arniel and his 'style'.

Sounds like he's still extremely bitter about his treatment under Arniel. I wonder what Arniel's side of the story is. He seems to be doing fine with Nash, Brassard, and Dorsett in New York. I highly doubt the Rangers would've let Vigneault add Arniel to their coaching staff if he would cause problems with the former Jackets there.

I'm sure there's a lot of truth to Commodore's story. I bet he's also telling it in a way that sheds a very favorable light on himself and a very unfavorable light on Arniel.

I'm sure he is, as many telling stories do, but it jives with other stories some of us have heard directly from people who were involved.

Arniel is just an assistant, and he's known to Vigneault from his time with the Vancouver organization. Simple good ol' boys networking and AV giving the guy an opportunity back in the NHL. It's also probably a little humbling to fail so spectacularly, so perhaps he's changed his tune some. I really doubt AV or Sather gives a damn whether there might be a couple guys in the room that can't stand the guy if they believe in his ability to help the team.

Either way, the former jackets on the NYR roster are under contract, so love Arniel or hate him, they're stuck with him and have to make it work however much or little they have to interact with him. Everyone reacts to personalities differently - it's not like Nash is known for being anything other than milquetoast anyway. The other guys probably either never paid it much attention (they weren't benched) or found a way to ignore it and go about trying to stay in relevant roles in the league.

TheDoctorLies

Dec 6, 2011
I'm sure he is, as many telling stories do, but it jives with other stories some of us have heard directly from people who were involved.

Arniel is just an assistant, and he's known to Vigneault from his time with the Vancouver organization. Simple good ol' boys networking and AV giving the guy an opportunity back in the NHL. It's also probably a little humbling to fail so spectacularly, so perhaps he's changed his tune some. I really doubt AV or Sather gives a damn whether there might be a couple guys in the room that can't stand the guy if they believe in his ability to help the team.

Either way, the former jackets on the NYR roster are under contract, so love Arniel or hate him, they're stuck with him and have to make it work however much or little they have to interact with him. Everyone reacts to personalities differently - it's not like Nash is known for being anything other than milquetoast anyway. The other guys probably either never paid it much attention (they weren't benched) or found a way to ignore it and go about trying to stay in relevant roles in the league.

It jives with what I've heard, as well. That said, I don't trust his very selective view of the situation. Arniel was a disaster here, but to rip on the guy several years after the fact and after two other NHL franchises kicked Mike to the curb doesn't speak well of Commodore, either. He sounds bitter and more than a little pissed off about the situation and seems to be blaming Arniel for the complete lack of interest in him by NHL teams.

Thanks for clarifying that Arniel is an assistant. Seems a bit redundant since I clearly understand the coaching hierarchy in NY, but whatever. I bet AV and Sather would give a damn if Brassard came to them and said "I don't want to play for Arniel." There are plenty of other candidates for assistant positions, I'm sure AV knows a few good ones, and all rumors out of NY point to the front office clearing the hire with the former Jackets, particularly Brassard, prior to the official hire.

thebus2288*

I find that stuff pretty interesting considering that Brassard hasn't been playing all that great this year. Commodore is exactly the TYPE of defenseman we could use right now.

Now, this is the 1st time I'm hearing in depth stuff quite like this about Arniel. Most of you say its pretty much how he was and it doesn't surprise you. How exactly did this guy get through the interview process and seem like the best possible candidate at the time?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I find that stuff pretty interesting considering that Brassard hasn't been playing all that great this year. Commodore is exactly the TYPE of defenseman we could use right now.

Now, this is the 1st time I'm hearing in depth stuff quite like this about Arniel. Most of you say its pretty much how he was and it doesn't surprise you. How exactly did this guy get through the interview process and seem like the best possible candidate at the time?

Tree guesses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->