Injury Report: Infirmary Thread '15-16 [Davidson, Ference, Klefbom, Gryba, Pouliot, Nuge]

Status
Not open for further replies.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Detroit and St Louis seem to have weathered injuries just fine. It's not an excuse any more. This team is a total disaster and Chiarelli is going to perform some pretty painful surgery on it at some point.

Say goodbye to your golden boys everyone. McDavid is about the only one safe.

jiuwan

Dec 22, 2011
Is there any substantive report on Schultz's injury and possible return date? Searches are giving me "up to 4 weeks" dated on Oct. 29th.

any updates on korpi and hendricks? our bottom-6 misses both of those guys rather badly

I'm not medically qualified nor do I have insider information. I just have a video that you can you judge for yourself. Am I too optimistic in thinking they can both be back for Wednesday against the Blackhawks?

I was leaving Clareview rec centre this morning at 10AM when I spotted two Oiler players walking in the door. I immediately recognized Justin Shultz in his street clothes. I could not recognize the second player, I was thinking either Klinkhammer or Korpikoski. I had to look on the Oilers website, via my phone, to confirm that it was Korpikoski. I stood at the door deciding on what to do: follow them and ask for autographs; or go back across the street to Walmart/Mr Lube to pick up my car. Forget the car, I decided to go watch them practice instead! :laugh:

I don't recognize the goalie nor the two trainers. The goalie has dark brown hair and facial structure very similar to Pavel Datsyuk but younger. I know Shultz is no Martin St Louis but, those chicken legs are super thin! :cry:

Edit: Not sure if this means anything, Shultz was very upbeat, smiling and laughing throughout the practice today. He was very relaxed as well. Korpikoski looked calm and barely showed much emotion.

Last edited:

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I'm not medically qualified nor do I have insider information. I just have a video (you judge for yourself). Am I too optimistic in thinking they can both be back for Wednesday against the Blackhawks?

I was leaving Clareview rec centre this morning at 10AM when I spotted two Oiler players walking in the door. I immediately recognized Justin Shultz in his street clothes. I could not recognize the second player, I was thinking either Klinkhammer or Korpikoski. I had to look on the Oilers website, via my phone, to confirm that it was Korpikoski. I stood at the door deciding on what to do: follow them and ask for autographs; or go back across the street to Walmart/Mr Lube to pick up my car. Forget the car, I decided to go watch them practice instead! :laugh:

I don't recognize the goalie nor the two trainers. The goalie has dark brown hair and facial structure very similar to Pavel Datsyuk but younger. I know Shultz is no Martin St Louis but, those chicken legs are super thin! :cry:

Good news to see them back on the ice. Kudos on the video. :handclap:

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
I'd have thought that pro athletes would get a flu shot?

Please don't turn this into a debate on the merits of flu shots.

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton

It is most likely a bad cold. It's actually quite rare that you have the flu when you get sick, even a common cold can absolutely floor you for a week and many people think it's the flu when it's not. I am not a doctor but my source is a PhD in immunology at U of BC so I trust his opinion.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions

Not gonna try and turn this into a debate, but flu shots aren't like a 100% guarantee that you won't get the flu. The manufacturers make an educated guess at what strains of the virus will be prominent, and create a vaccine to cover those ones. But there are so many different strains that they can't cover them all, so it's still possible I get sick.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Not gonna try and turn this into a debate, but flu shots aren't like a 100% guarantee that you won't get the flu. The manufacturers make an educated guess at what strains of the virus will be prominent, and create a vaccine to cover those ones. But there are so many different strains that they can't cover them all, so it's still possible I get sick.

Yeah, I know that no shot is guaranteed. I usually get the shot and take all sensible precautions and haven't had the flu for...hm. at least 10-15 years. I have an office job and a flu doesn't set me back much, if I get it. A pro athlete has more at stake.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
It is most likely a bad cold. It's actually quite rare that you have the flu when you get sick, even a common cold can absolutely floor you for a week and many people think it's the flu when it's not. I am not a doctor but my source is a PhD in immunology at U of BC so I trust his opinion.

This. The term "flu" is often misused by everyone outside the medical community to describe any illness caused by either the influenza or cold viruses; most of the time it is just a cold.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Yeah, I know that no shot is guaranteed. I usually get the shot and take all sensible precautions and haven't had the flu for...hm. at least 10-15 years. I have an office job and a flu doesn't set me back much, if I get it. A pro athlete has more at stake.
Flu shots only cover so many strains and traveling across the continent exposes more than the shot covers.

Could just be a bad cold that they all got but even so, traveling makes it easier to catch things then a desk job.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Apparently I have no idea how to embed a tweet, but Gregor just mentioned that McDavid is already back to doing upper body work outs.

https://www.twitter.com/JasonGregor/status/666325773343719425

I've had a broken clavicle before, this is not human.

Lowetide was saying there is a quote that McDavid is shocked to feel is good this early.

Lowetide then joked that he should start a rumor that McDavid is back against the Devils as someone else probably will anyway.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Apparently I have no idea how to embed a tweet, but Gregor just mentioned that McDavid is already back to doing upper body work outs.

https://www.twitter.com/JasonGregor/status/666325773343719425

I've had a broken clavicle before, this is not human.

My fear is his youthful exuberance and his desire to come back as soon as possible may actually be a detriment to his recovery.

I would seriously hope the team's medical staff and trainers stress to McDavid that he needs to take his recovery at a moderate and measured pace no matter how good he feels so as to ensure no setbacks in the recovery process.

Hugo McStiglitz

#BlameTheWater
Dec 27, 2010
Gregor just said on TSN 1260 that the upper body work he is doing is likely just to keep the shoulder moving to prevent scar tissue from growing, so only light stuff. No return is imminent yet.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Gregor just said on TSN 1260 that the upper body work he is doing is likely just to keep the shoulder moving to prevent scar tissue from growing, so only light stuff. No return is imminent yet.

thanks for the info.... i don't think anybody was seriously thinking that he was coming back anytime soon, people were just joking around.... end of january is when i still expect him back

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
Whose PP time does Schultz take, if anyone's? Or has he lost that role to both Klefbom & Sekera at this point?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I read in the journal that Schultz is aiming to return sometime during the upcoming road trip

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Whose PP time does Schultz take, if anyone's? Or has he lost that role to both Klefbom & Sekera at this point?

Klefbom and Sekera certainly don't bobble the puck on at the point as often as Schultz does. And it seems that Klefbom shoots more often.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad