News Article: Incoming Sens president needs to tackle stale centurion logo

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
If we do upgrade the heritage "O" to our mains, I would love to bring back one of the original 2D, pre-reebok era sweaters as a possible alternate (or vice versa). I think I even prefer the 2D as the mains.

And jettison yet another major, historically relevant aspect of our identity? I hope the marketing department doesn't catch wind of this idea.

Research how much of a impact the logging community had with out them there likely would be no Ottawa.

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
Research how much of a impact the logging community had with out them there likely would be no Ottawa.

That's great, zero benefit to the hockey team removing our connection to the NHLs first dynasty.

LatteLarrys

LatteLarry's
Dec 27, 2013

The franchise's identity has a more direct connection to the legacy of its predecessor (the Ottawa HC). And besides, the Red Blacks have already built their identity around that historical part of our culture.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
apparently there will be no alternates next year, so.....there needs to be a choice between the O heritage or the 3D logo for next year. Correct?

If so, then the choice should be as easy as possible. And I'm going to expect and predict now that the O heritage is our new jersey next year.

Manhattan

Dec 23, 2013
Stockholm
This is an interesting thread...

As being raised in Sweden and have a neutral perspective on things I would like to state a couple of things.
* My Canadian Ottawa-native wife is the only one I know that likes the current logo.
* It's hard to buy souvenirs that has the current logo because it looks awful.
*No One started cheering for Ottawa because The bad logos..

Senators is not an appealing/intimidating name like Sharks, Panthers, predators that can have intimidating Logos.
But let's be honest, Senators is a good name, it's unique and pretty classy.
Look at the bruins, that's an Awful name - but has one of the best logos and branding of all sports.
Everyone knows them as BOSTON - the intimidating B. A logo that is clean and looks good on jerseys, hats, flags, you name it.

The first logo is classic, yes - but not optimal.
The O is simple, but Maybe too simple - Something combined with an O and a S.

The current Senators Reebok Edge cut is bad, even though the colours are good - I'm happy they removed that red/black wave jersey.

I think Less is more in this case and I do agree the heritage jerseys look much better and those are the colours the team should wear. Back to basics with plain lines.
Keep the current pants and gloves but use the Heritage classic jerseys.

Black should be the base colour for Ottawa since it's more unique and intimidating than current Team Canada v2.0 - It's not bad, but nothing special.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
my visually impaired friend has a hard time seeing the numbers as well.

They should use the old school numbers with the solid square piece underneath the numbers.

Not sure if it is historically accurate to the Senators, but they have it on their jerseys in the EA games. Here's an example of what I mean.

MontrealCanadiens08-0912-13B.jpg

If they go with the Heritage look, I'd like to see a red heritage jersey.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I agree with on our logo looking bad on merch. Maybe it looks okay on a jersey but on a t shirt or water bottle or a keychain, meh.

I would say in the other hand, my alma matter MSU, the Spartans, has a simple and perfect logo.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Couldn't agree more. The O jerseys a very meh to me. Better than their current ones, but not even close to how nice the old 2Ds were.
Agreed. Heritage jerseys having always been just OK. Nothing close to pre-2007 jerseys. I'd be quite disappointed if they became main jersey/logo.
Ottawa has a deep connection to the logging sector as well.

Im sure the names "Floaters" or "Loggers" wont go over bad.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
What?!?! Thats crazy talk. Senators is a solid name.

It's crazy because no team has ever changed their name. Anaheim shortened to just "Ducks" and Phoenix became Arizona but that's it.

You have millions of people who grew up knowing the name "Ottawa Senators". Hundreds of thousands who are fans of the Ottawa Senators.

There are no words in the dictionary that could replace "Senators" and that would be such a massive improvement that it would warrant potentially destroying the franchise. Senators is fine for a team sports name.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
apparently there will be no alternates next year, so.....there needs to be a choice between the O heritage or the 3D logo for next year. Correct?

If so, then the choice should be as easy as possible. And I'm going to expect and predict now that the O heritage is our new jersey next year.

I'd be incredibly surprised the Heritage ends up being the jersey next year. It is telling that the Sens wear their red home jersey in the playoffs where they get to choose which dark coloured jersey they wear for their home games.

I think what we'll end up seeing is a full scale rebrand in time for Lebreton. The reason I think this is 1, even if this rebrand catches fire, they've likely already put in with Reebok/Adidas which home/away jersey they want. This is a process that probably can't just be changed on a whim. Two, the NHL has a rule that jerseys have to continue to be used for x amount of time after being introduced (might be 2 years). That's why the Sabres continued to wear their ugly third jersey despite the amount of fan backlash.

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Oh god please. We NEED some form of the 2D logo as our jerseys. I would immediately go get one. I want to get a new jersey but I already have a heritage and the 3D red and white are just so bad and plain.

When you have one of the nicest, well respected logos in recent history, you need to use it.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
I like how the article even contained a pic of Jerkstore's latest vision for a jersey. I like it a lot.

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
"From the dismissal of (anthem singer) Lyndon Slewidge, to the lacklustre 25th anniversary logo, to the disappearance of the white heritage jersey, to ditching the Sens theme, the team doesn't embrace its history like a strong, proud Canadian hockey market should."

Man this quote sums a up all of things that I have been shaking my head at the Sens organization for for the last few years. Perfectly said.

The move to ditch the classic Sens song in favor of the worse sounding "remix" of it is just literally mindboggling.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I have no issues with the logos that they have used over the years.

Me neither, this guy didn't seem to think that Maple Leaf on Toronto's jersey was too stale.

I like how the article even contained a pic of Jerkstore's latest vision for a jersey. I like it a lot.

That's a very nice looking jersey.

I would have liked to see a Heritage jersey with an S in the middle of the O. :nod:

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
its absolutely embarrassing how we dont resort back to the 2d logo when its clear its what best symbolizes this market, this team and this history.

I dont even know why we arent resorting back to it. Ego?

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
All I want to see when I go to Sens games:

- Sens wearing slick jerseys with 2D logo (heritage is acceptable)
- Lyndon Slewidge belting out the anthem
- Sens entering to this version of the Sens song

They can do ANYTHING else they want. The music can be as terrible as they want it to be, or play as much Avicii as they want. If the three above criteria are met, I will be happy attending games, no matter what the outcome is. Currently zero of those criteria are being met.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Canucks (skate) and caps (stick) had two of the best logos in hockey and they walked away from them. Don't want that to be the sens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad