News Article: In which R** R**** gets laughed at by the players he writes about..

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Meh, they're just having some fun with him. If they really didn't like him, they wouldn't even talk to him. They're treating him how you'd treat a little brother. Rossi's just a bit ignorant and a too much of a keener.

if that were true, that they were just having fun with him, he wouldn't have reacted the way he did afterwards.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
if that were true, that they were just having fun with him, he wouldn't have reacted the way he did afterwards.

I agree. My bias is obvious but it looked to me exactly like what people do when they're embarrassed and in the public eye, trying to pretend like they're getting a good laugh out of it too while deflecting / making it out to be no big deal.

In the end I guess we can be glad he's reporting on hockey and not Congressional committees or the Supreme Court. "Wait... there are 9 justices and they ALL get to vote? I thought the 9th only voted on tie-breakers!... wha..... What did I write? I said Kennedy was a liberal... he voted liberal on that last one... that means he's a Democrat right?! He wasn't appointed by REAGAN... you're making that up! He was a Clinton guy, right? Kennedy, Kennedy family.... Democrats... am I right? He WAS appointed by Reagan??" *furiously flips through notes on his Blackberry*

"I got a great angle for the next feature: 'Kennedy shuns family ties, votes Republican on host of issues since 2000'."

Last edited:

Wes C Addle

Bernard Shakey
Jul 4, 2007
Allentown, Pa
As for Neal and Geno... they have no respect for the guy. Of course they're going to not be mean-spirited when cameras are rolling for what they understand to be a PR piece about Rossi. They're professionals. They're going to make him look like a fool in a way that he just has to go along with it or look even more like an idiot. "What..... What did I write?!" Don't you know what you wrote, you ****ing hack? Can't even own up to a mistake you made? This is the Trib attempting to make Rossi look like a likable guy because he certainly doesn't generate any respect for that publication with his writing or research.

I agree with the whole of this post, and am certainly not a fan of RR. It's quite clear Neal has no love for RR, and rightfully so. That being said, I'm a bit surprised that Geno actually has some sort of media connection specifically with RR. If you check out Geno's "official site", http://71malkin.com/, there's a section near the bottom basically chronicling Geno's accomplishments over the course of his career. At the very end of that, surprising to me there is this snippet

–BY ROB ROSSI of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, and Evgeni Malkin’s authorized biographer

Again, not defending RR at all, but I guess Geno has put some sort of trust in this guy (no matter how misguided that sounds to us). If I saw that anywhere but on Geno's site, I wouldn't have believed it.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Wes I'm about 90% sure Geno's "authorized biographer" thing is a joke. There is no authorized biography for Malkin AFAIK. Christ the guy is not even 30 years old! :laugh: Little early for that yet? Let's wait until his career is over at least before assuming a biography is in the works (and what publisher would carry it at this point in time? Books are VERY expensive to print and distribute). :)

Unless I missed it (someone point me to the Amazon link with Rossi's name on the cover, if I did).

I would bet dollars to doughnuts that "title" is Rossi's idea and has no legal backing at all. Rossi asked him if it would be OK to use it, and Geno, probably not fully understanding what was being asked / what the implication of that title is, said "sure OK Rossi". In 10 years if there's a book with Rossi's name on it, I'll apologize. Until then it's the author equivalent of vaporware. Sounds good, doesn't mean much in practice.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I agree. My bias is obvious but it looked to me exactly like what people do when they're embarrassed and in the public eye, trying to pretend like they're getting a good laugh out of it too while deflecting / making it out to be no big deal.

In the end I guess we can be glad he's reporting on hockey and not Congressional committees or the Supreme Court. "Wait... there are 9 justices and they ALL get to vote? I thought the 9th only voted on tie-breakers!... wha..... What did I write? I said Kennedy was a liberal... he voted liberal on that last one... that means he's a Democrat right?! He wasn't appointed by REAGAN... you're making that up! He was a Clinton guy, right? Kennedy, Kennedy family.... Democrats... am I right? He WAS appointed by Reagan??" *furiously flips through notes on his Blackberry*

"I got a great angle for the next feature: 'Kennedy shuns family ties, votes Republican on host of issues since 2000'."

its amazing how little I know about politics.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Wes I'm about 90% sure Geno's "authorized biographer" thing is a joke. There is no authorized biography for Malkin AFAIK. Christ the guy is not even 30 years old! Little early for that yet? Let's wait until his career is over at least before assuming a biography is in the works (and what publisher would carry it at this point in time? Books are VERY expensive to print and distribute).

Unless I missed it (someone point me to the Amazon link with Rossi's name on the cover, if I did).

I would bet dollars to doughnuts that "title" is Rossi's idea and has no legal backing at all. Rossi asked him if it would be OK to use it, and Geno, probably not fully understanding what was being asked / what the implication of that title is, said "sure OK Rossi". In 10 years if there's a book with Rossi's name on it, I'll apologize. Until then it's the author equivalent of vaporware. Sounds good, doesn't mean much in practice.

Justin Bieber had a biography when he was like 14

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Anyone who has ever played or covered hockey at any extent should know what an F3 is.

I've never done either of those and I know what it is just from watching the game and post game comments. To be the Pens beat reporter and not know what it is is pretty inexcusable, whether they were kidding around with him or not.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Justin Bieber had a biography when he was like 14

Justin Bieber has tens of millions of teenage girls ready to throw a hissy fit if their parents don't buy his book this instant. :) Geno, in terms of number of people who would buy his book tomorrow, is sadly "not in the same league" as Bieber or any other pop culture icon. In short, any paper book publisher would stand to make a mint on Bieber's book, while probably (today) standing to lose money on a biography of Malkin that was widely printed and marketed.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Justin Bieber has tens of millions of teenage girls ready to throw a hissy fit if their parents don't buy his book this instant. :) Geno, in terms of number of people who would buy his book tomorrow, is sadly "not in the same league" as Bieber or any other pop culture icon. In short, any paper book publisher would stand to make a mint on Bieber's book, while probably (today) standing to lose money on a biography of Malkin that was widely printed and marketed.

especially if Geno's book is written by Rob Rossi :laugh:

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Again, not defending RR at all, but I guess Geno has put some sort of trust in this guy (no matter how misguided that sounds to us). If I saw that anywhere but on Geno's site, I wouldn't have believed it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah i have been saying that about Rossi and Malkin look at Geno's twitter account he follows Rossi they obviously have some type of relationship.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
its amazing how little I know about politics.

Heh. But if you were employed to write about the Supreme Court I'm sure by now you could tell the likes of me 101 things I didn't know about it, even though I follow it somewhat closely at random times during the year. And that's the point. Rossi is paid to be an expert, yet he's clueless.

Also read a great book about the court called "The Nine" last year. Recommend it to anyone who wants to understand the recent history of the court (and some older history) without being bored to tears.

tumblr_m7vd7dJ5lL1qearsgo1_1280.jpg

:sarcasm:

Wes C Addle

Bernard Shakey
Jul 4, 2007
Allentown, Pa
Wes I'm about 90% sure Geno's "authorized biographer" thing is a joke. There is no authorized biography for Malkin AFAIK. Christ the guy is not even 30 years old! :laugh: Little early for that yet? Let's wait until his career is over at least before assuming a biography is in the works (and what publisher would carry it at this point in time? Books are VERY expensive to print and distribute). :)

To the bolded part, I find that very plausible. Actually I'm hoping that's the case. Nothing would be more insufferable than reading a biography one day from RR. Again, the only reason I brought it up was that it was on Geno's site, which seemed to give it more creedence than say RR's myspace page. Hopefully it's as you've suggested.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
especially if Geno's book is written by Rob Rossi :laugh:

Yes, especially that. Who knows maybe Malkin cuts him some slack (is there anyone more easy-going than Geno?) and one day a reformed Rossi will write his biography. Until that day... Rossi can either become a good reporter or continue to take abuse / tarnish his reputation with readers.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
its a book about the supreme court. I don't know what else to say.

Point taken. It ain't for everyone, that's for sure. But it's not "college history lecture boring" either. Much less dry, more personalities involved, a little bit of drama and intrigue, a few laughs. Did you know Clarence Thomas is one of these dudes who likes to RV / go bike touring with his wife (during court recess), and they often visit campgrounds (I guess near various national parks?) and tail-gate with random people for an afternoon? Probably he's looking for some action (hey it's Clarence Thomas) but there's some funny stuff in there.

Clarence Thomas: the Ryan Malone of the Supreme Court.

steveg

Jul 8, 2012
Norman, OK
Pretty sure it's this article.

Thanks, much Jacques. I appreciate it.

I read the article, but I'm not sure that's the one -- though maybe it was. I didn't really see anything in there that Rossi said that I would have thought would have motivated Nealer to feel like he had to try and explain forward responsibilities/positioning to him. I'm assuming that whatever article they were questioning Rossi on, was one in which Rossi tried to discuss winger responsibility and positioning strategy but he butchered it, such that he was being laughed at...

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Point taken. It ain't for everyone, that's for sure. But it's not "college history lecture boring" either. Much less dry, more personalities involved, a little bit of drama and intrigue, a few laughs. Did you know Clarence Thomas is one of these dudes who likes to RV / go bike touring with his wife (during court recess), and they often visit campgrounds (I guess near various national parks?) and tail-gate with people for an afternoon? Probably he's looking for some action (hey it's Clarence Thomas) but there's some funny stuff in there.

who the **** is Clarence Thomas?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad