Prospect Info: In the System IX (Ads and Prospects)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Yeah, I think it was definitely a behind the scenes issue with Ingram. No other reason to trade a goalie who was playing well and was drafted fairly high so quickly.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
His behavior was the reason the Lightning moved him. Perhaps it has changed but there has never been a question of his potential.
Yes, but if he was highly regarded, they would have been able to move him for a 3rd. Or a 4th even. Etc. They didn't trade him to us for a 7th just out of the kindness of their hearts. Nobody else wanted him.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Is David Farrance on this team after his season at BU? He is leading college hockey defenseman in a slew of categories including points. He is not as defensively sound as Fabbro coming out, but is much more polished offensively. I could see him leaping a few guys for chance at bottom pair next year.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Is David Farrance on this team after his season at BU? He is leading college hockey defenseman in a slew of categories including points. He is not as defensively sound as Fabbro coming out, but is much more polished offensively. I could see him leaping a few guys for chance at bottom pair next year.
He's still only 20, which makes it even more impressive. Unless he's deadset on playing all 4 years, I think you have to sign him as soon as his season ends and give him his cameo a la Fabbro, at the very least.

Past that, for next season, it's good timing for him to go pro in the sense that we should assume Hamhuis/Weber/Irwin are all gone. I sincerely hope the Preds go all-in trying to sign some more experienced UFAs to bolster the 3rd pair. But for all I promote those guys like Dillon/Edmundson/Gudas, I just feel that's not really Poile's philosophy. So I can wish for it, but I would expect he goes instead with more mobile/cheaper internal options, which ought to open the door for some number of our prospects... throw Farrance, Davies, Allard, Carrier on the ice in camp and see who takes spots, basically. Farrance should come to camp in that scenario thinking he has every chance to make the team.

Reactions: Flgatorguy87

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Yes, but if he was highly regarded, they would have been able to move him for a 3rd. Or a 4th even. Etc. They didn't trade him to us for a 7th just out of the kindness of their hearts. Nobody else wanted him.
This is true however goalies do not return much when traded or for that matter they are not drafted high either. Ingram was drafted in the 3rd round as a back-up plan for Vasi who like Pekka was anointed to be the starter his second year in North America. Heck they Moved Ben Bishop to give VAsi the starting spot. So like you say he was not a hot commodity and with the issues the organization had they just moved him for any asset.
I still think he could become a starter in the league in a couple years but at 22 he needs at least one more year in the AHL. Failure to do so puts him on the same path that Saro's has went thru. The Preds burned valuable time with Saro's and while he has been on a NHL roster full time for 4 years the games he has missed can not be made up and he will probably be out of the league in two or three years. I hope they can be patient with Ingram and at least give him a fighting chance to come up at age 24 and see what happens. Does he deserve a few games in this abortion of a season sure give him a taste and show him the team wants him but give him enough time and games to make a difference when he does make the jump.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN

If it were up to me I would bring him in on the third and I agree with NNCbama I think we would be better off adding a solid vet to play with a rookie.

Reactions: Predsanddead24

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
This is true however goalies do not return much when traded or for that matter they are not drafted high either. Ingram was drafted in the 3rd round as a back-up plan for Vasi who like Pekka was anointed to be the starter his second year in North America. Heck they Moved Ben Bishop to give VAsi the starting spot. So like you say he was not a hot commodity and with the issues the organization had they just moved him for any asset.
I still think he could become a starter in the league in a couple years but at 22 he needs at least one more year in the AHL. Failure to do so puts him on the same path that Saro's has went thru. The Preds burned valuable time with Saro's and while he has been on a NHL roster full time for 4 years the games he has missed can not be made up and he will probably be out of the league in two or three years. I hope they can be patient with Ingram and at least give him a fighting chance to come up at age 24 and see what happens. Does he deserve a few games in this abortion of a season sure give him a taste and show him the team wants him but give him enough time and games to make a difference when he does make the jump.
That's waaaaay too harsh a judgement on Saros. This is the first time in the last 7 years that he has shown any signs whatsoever of faltering. I don't think one bad half-season in the midst of an overall team meltdown is enough that we should consider throwing away the previous 6 years of consistent and excellent progress Saros showed. He's where he is and got the contract he got for very good reasons; he earned it. Now he faces the challenge of his first real adversity along the way. It's premature to write him off at 24, given his accomplishments thus far.

That said, just like any of our other prospects who have excelled at other positions, Ingram has excelled to the point that he has earned a reward/look with a game as well. Surely at some point Rinne or Saros will catch a cold, and we can call him up.

Where either of Ingram or Saros goes beyond this... who knows. I wouldn't write either off, nor carve either of their names into stone as our future starter.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
But for all I promote those guys like Dillon/Edmundson/Gudas, I just feel that's not really Poile's philosophy. So I can wish for it, but I would expect he goes instead with more mobile/cheaper internal options, which ought to open the door for some number of our prospects... throw Farrance, Davies, Allard, Carrier on the ice in camp and see who takes spots, basically. Farrance should come to camp in that scenario thinking he has every chance to make the team.

I'd really like to see one veteran physical D get signed this offseason and then leave one other spot open for one of our prospects. We've got Tinordi next season as well who has shown to me recently that he can be a decent 7D so I'd keep him up and in the pressbox most of the time while rotating prospects out of the sixth D spot. I have this strange feeling that we are going to re-sign Weber and not really address our need for size on the back end though.

Last edited:

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I'd really like to see one veteran physical D get signed this offseason and then leave one other spot open for one of our prospects. We've got Tinordi next season as well who has shown to me recently that he can be a decent 7D so I'd keep him up and in the pressbox most of the team while rotating prospects out of the sixth D spot. I have this strange feeling that we are going to re-sign Weber and not really address our need for size on the back end though.
If could actually get 2 of those guys I listed... well, from my armchair I'd probably do it and hang the prospects. Make them wait until expansion re-opens a spot. But really, who is going to be able to sign 2 of a kind in the same UFA Frenzy window? It's not practical to expect that. Just hit them all with offers and count yourself lucky if even one of them signs.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I believe Gudas is a free agent, RHD.

Josi - Fabbro
Ekholm - Ellis
Farrance - Gudas
Tinordi

I think Fabbro has been good this season, rookie mistakes sure, but still fine for his position. Another offseason of training and conditioning, plus a full training camp for the entire D-corps under Hynes should bring him up a notch.

if Farrance isn't ready, which he might not be, perhaps Davies is the one to make the jump, or we go for another veteran D. Gudas can also take 2nd pair minutes at times, which gives a lot of flexibility on the right side.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I believe Gudas is a free agent, RHD.

Josi - Fabbro
Ekholm - Ellis
Farrance - Gudas
Tinordi

I think Fabbro has been good this season, rookie mistakes sure, but still fine for his position. Another offseason of training and conditioning, plus a full training camp for the entire D-corps under Hynes should bring him up a notch.

if Farrance isn't ready, which he might not be, perhaps Davies is the one to make the jump, or we go for another veteran D. Gudas can also take 2nd pair minutes at times, which gives a lot of flexibility on the right side.
Exactly. We have to go hard after one of the solid UFA D. I think you'd find that Gudas and Dillon are probably the most physical options. We need physicality back there. Edmundson also has size and is pretty solid, but I find he doesn't go out of his way to hit quite like those other two. For any of them, they may not have flashy stats, but I would guess the bidding starts around 4x$4M... and goes up subject to demand from there. So it's not going to be a pretty contract. But I think we just need it so bad we have to chase them anyway.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Gudas or whoever, I'm fully on board with ditching Irwin/Hamhuis/Weber this off-season and bringing back the top-4, Carrier and Tinordi. Sign a veteran defenseman over the summer and you have a solid defense next year.

Whether it is Carrier, Davies or Farrance making the jump to the big league, it doesn't really matter. I just think Carrier is the furthest in development among those guys.

Reactions: adsfan and NNCbama

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Gudas or whoever, I'm fully on board with ditching Irwin/Hamhuis/Weber this off-season and bringing back the top-4, Carrier and Tinordi. Sign a veteran defenseman over the summer and you have a solid defense next year.

Whether it is Carrier, Davies or Farrance making the jump to the big league, it doesn't really matter. I just think Carrier is the furthest in development among those guys.

Agreed Carrier is the furthest along, but in my mind he has the lowest ceiling. Not entirely a deal breaker for 3rd line minutes, but I like the idea of letting them battle it out for a spot and see where it goes.

Reactions: Scoresberg

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Agreed Carrier is the furthest along, but in my mind he has the lowest ceiling. Not entirely a deal breaker for 3rd line minutes, but I like the idea of letting them battle it out for a spot and see where it goes.
Realistically, I think it's common enough to carry 8D in the modern NHL. Tinordi as the big/tough spare and Carrier as the PMD style guy could BOTH be placed in #7/8 roles. The new Irwin/Weber. Then we roll the starting 6 as...
Josi - Fabbro
Ekholm - Ellis
Davies/Farrance - Gudas

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
His behavior was the reason the Lightning moved him. Perhaps it has changed but there has never been a question of his potential.

I appreciate that people who are 23 or 24 don't always exhibit the best judgement and behavior. I have observed that first hand at work. TBL could have asked him what he was unhappy about rather than exiling him to the ECHL. They goofed up big time. Their loss was Nashville's gain.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I appreciate that people who are 23 or 24 don't always exhibit the best judgement and behavior. I have observed that first hand at work. TBL could have asked him what he was unhappy about rather than exiling him to the ECHL. They goofed up big time. Their loss was Nashville's gain.
It sounds like they knew full well "what he was unhappy about" and opted to back some minor league ringleaders on his team or prioritize their internal perception of off-ice attitudes over on-ice performance. Their loss. Well, 30 other teams loss too since basically anybody could have picked him up for a 6th round pick.

16-4-4 with 2.00 GAA and .930 SvPct right now.

I'm still thinking Seattle will have wealth enough in NHL goalies to choose from, and other skaters from us, that we won't have to worry about them reaching out for Ingram. But the more he keeps on killing it in Milwaukee, the more it creeps in. Preds will have to sign him as an RFA this summer. And eventually decide what goalie(s) to expose after next season. It might not be bad for us either way if Ingram came up for a cameo, played well, and if Saros hears footsteps maybe it helps boost his play too. :dunno:

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
The Admirals came out flat against Grand Rapids (Detroit) and fell behind 2-0 after 6 minutes on goal mouth scrambles. In the second period, Milwaukee only had 7 SOG. They could have doubled that number if they could get the puck on frame. The Griffins did a good job clogging the neutral zone. With less than 4 minutes to go, the Ads hard work finally paid off by a lot of passes and a goal by Pitlick, right after another Admiral was tackled from behind near the left post.

With less than 2 minutes remaining, Salomaki was camped out in front of the goal and was punched in the face by Moritz Seider (D). Salomaki punched him once in the head and ref Mike Campbell, #36 immediately called a penalty on Salomaki. It was the BS CALL of the SEASON. I actually yelled "Ref You Suck" and was immediately joined by about 100 other fans. That went on even after the game was over. It got louder when the replay was shown. It robbed the Ads of a chance to tie the game up. I will be yelling at Campbell the rest of this season. Maybe I will bring a sign for his benefit.

Ref Ratings: Tim Mayer, #19, called a steady game and actually called a few penalties in the game, He gets a 6.
Ref Mike Campbell, #36, missed a bunch of penalties (including 2 elbows) that were 15 feet in front of him. He gets a 2 and the Ray Charles Award!

Linesman Riley Bowles, #66, blew an Offside call late in the game. That made the crowd surly! He gets a 4.
William Handcock, #17. I never noticed him the entire game, so he must have been very good. He gets an 8.

The Dirty Player of the Game: #2 Joe Hicketts.
He even tried to mug McCarron from behind. No call of course. Hicketts broke his stick in period 3. It led to the Admirals goal.

Magnificent66

Sep 9, 2013
Tolvanen just sizzling in the A right now. My $ is on him taking UFA Granlunds spot in the top 6 next year. Expect a promotion soon!

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Are Santini and Davies both playing regularly in Milwaukee? If so how do they look? I'm guessing Santini isnt part of our plans going forward, but I thought Poile was pretty high on Davies

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Are Santini and Davies both playing regularly in Milwaukee? If so how do they look? I'm guessing Santini isnt part of our plans going forward, but I thought Poile was pretty high on Davies

Yes! They are paired. Davies has played 48 of the 49 games and Santini has played 46. Davies is the better scorer with 3 G and 17 A and +20. Santini is the better checker with 2 G and 9 A and +17, also with 15 more pounds and 3 more inches in height versus Davies.

Davies is out of the Ellis mode, but without the overpowering slapper. He is a good passer.

I am not sure who on Nashville's defense is most similar to Santini. They play well together, sort of like Steve Tuttle and Michel Mongeau. Somehow, they make 2+2 =5. They are both better defenders than Tinordi, but don't have the offensive skills of Carrier.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Sweet job by both referees tonight watching Dillon Heatherington hold Tanner Jeannot’s stick for several seconds while he tries to retrieve a puck from the corner, not calling it and then having the puck end up in the Admirals net 20 seconds later.

Reactions: adsfan

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Tonight's game against Texas was a story of two games. In period 1, Texas got more shots on goal. Milwaukee was a total of 12 inches from scoring 2 goals themselves. It was just bad puck luck that they did not score, but they also missed the net 7 or 8 times on shots that were from 20 feet.

In period 2, the Ads dominated and should have scored 3 goals. Texas got their second goal after committing a penalty that was not called by the refs. (See AF24's post above) The Texas bench ran the game in the last 7 minutes, instead of the weak minded refs. Milwaukee scored their first goal. Clearly a good goal. The Texas coach disputed it and demanded a review. That took 90 seconds. Then, just when play was going to resume, he sent out a new pair of Dmen who skated off the bench like they were 80 years old. So, they took away the momentum that Milwaukee had built by stalling for nearly 2 minutes after their goal. The fans were booing Texas after the first minute, because they figured out what was going on, unlike the two STUPID REFS.

In period 3, the Ads carried the play as Texas tried to let the air out of the puck. They skated around with it in the neutral zone for up to a minute. It reminded me of the Harlem Globetrotters basketball weave. In the OT, Texas again skated around with the puck and tried to play keep away with it. They did prevail in the shoot out, so their strategy of working the refs and stalling out the game clock did work.

Ref Ratings: Tim Mayer, #19, called a steady game in period 1, then went in the toilet head first. He gets a 3.
Ref Mike Dietrich, #15, missed a bunch of penalties that were right in front of him. In the NE corner, a Texas played left his skates and jumped into an Admiral who had the puck. The skates were 3 feet off the ice. Neither ref called a charging penalty. He gets a 1 and the Ray Charles Award as Dietrich was 30 feet away!

Linesman Jameson Gronert, #95, blew some Offside calls. He is also bad at dropping the puck fairly. Near the end of period 2, an Admiral Dman passed the puck up to Mikka Salomaki at the far blue line. You could see and hear the puck smack against Salomaki's stick from 150 feet. It was called icing. He gets a 2.

Tyler Gregory, #66, made one mistake that I saw in the entire game. He gets a 9. He got to work with three clowns tonight.

The Dirty Player of the Game: #12 Oula Palve. He liked to hit people from behind, even after the whistle. On a face off, he knocked the stick out of the hands of an Admiral player. Jameson Gronert threw the Admiral out of the face off.

Last edited:
Reactions: Preds Partisan

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Sweet job by both referees tonight watching Dillon Heatherington hold Tanner Jeannot’s stick for several seconds while he tries to retrieve a puck from the corner, not calling it and then having the puck end up in the Admirals net 20 seconds later.

Jeannot dragged Heatherington at least 20 feet towards the corner. He was sliding across the ice as Jeannot tried to skate to the corner. It was like a scene out of Slap Shot. Heatherington is 6'4" and 225 pounds. He must be hard to drag, even on ice. The refs were TRASH!

predwings

Jan 26, 2011
Nashville TN
I'm wondering if it's time we bring Daniel Carr back and see if he flourishes in John Hynes' system more, still lighting it up in the AHL despite his lack of success this year in the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad