Prospect Info: In the System IX (Ads and Prospects)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
It's time for Poile to pick up a real NHL defenseman. Scandella for a 4th? Get on some of that next time. :mad:
waste of assets honestly. this core has shown us zero reason to invest in them.

they were embarrassed last night with a new coach. im disgusted right now.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
waste of assets honestly. this core has shown us zero reason to invest in them.

they were embarrassed last night with a new coach. im disgusted right now.
Why even change the coach then? Why do anything? There is already an investment in this team. A big one. Do you make a miniscule additional investment to try to save the huge one already made? Or do you just let it all burn for fear of kicking in an extra nickel?

We need a D right now. Maybe there are none still available like Scandella was. I don't know. But if the investment is that tiny, it should be considered. We also still have 6 weeks until the trade deadline. There's no rule that says we can't get a refund on any such investment, just as Montreal might find themselves in a position to flip Scandella at the deadline if they continue to lose. It might end up being no loss at all if the team is truly sunk.

But I think you have to try. Firing the coach says Poile isn't giving up on the season. No reason he should, no reason we should. Now, there IS a limit to the investment I would make. But what I'm proposing here is something small, within those limits.

I don't think it's fair to think we have the answer on D at hand, in the system. If we did, those players would have made the team in training camp, like Fabbro did. If they couldn't beat out Weber and Irwin then or now, they aren't going to be enough. Trading for an established NHL depth defenseman might not be enough either. But as long as the cost is minor it's relatively risk-free.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I could see Poile getting a Dman if Fabbro or Ellis is going to be out long term. Otherwise I think he let's it go and trade some people at the deadline.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I saw two new faces tonight at the Ads game. Michael McCarran #23. He is about 6'6" and a Center who wins face offs. He checks and goes to the net. He kind of hunches over, so he is like a larger version of Trenin. He was the best player tonight for Milwaukee. Carr and Gaudreau were the other stand out players tonight.

Arvin Atwal #95 played D for the first time that I can recall this season. He played with Healey and fit in fairly well. Grand Rapids tried to go his way a lot in period two. They were picking on the new guy, but he held up pretty well.

Period 1: The Admirals dominated. GR got a fluky goal with 40 seconds remaining in the period to tie it 1 - 1.

Period 2: The Admirals kept dropping back with the puck and the Griffins started fore checking. GR dominated the period. Ingram let in a bad second goal. He could have stopped it by kicking out his left leg pad, but he did not do that and the puck went about 3 inches inside the near post to make it 2 - 2.

Period 3: The Admirals let in a SHG after a bad rink wide pass near their their own blue line. Ingram tried to stop it, but he had no help on a wraparound. The Admirals were their own worst enemy tonight after a good start.

Ref Ratings: Ian McCambridge #63 and Sean Fernandez #72 did fine for two periods.

Period 3 was a disaster! Daniel Carr was called for goalie interference when he was pushed into Calvin Pickard by (D) Alec McCrea, who proceeded to crosscheck Carr in the spine twice while he was down on all fours on the ice. Only Carr got a penalty at 4:50 of the period, when the Ads were looking like they were getting the momentum back. When they did the Let's Go Ads! cheer, about 1/4 of the crowd of 4816 chanted Refs You Suck! instead. The Griffins were called for a penalty about 11 minutes into the period after committing several, including 2 or 3 after the whistle that were not called.

Ian McCambridge #63, gets a 3 for actually calling some penalties and Sean Fernandez #72, gets a 1 for being a useless piece of garbage in period 3 and laughing about it.

Linesmen Mike Daltrey #27 and John Rey #16 each get sixes for having some puck dropping issues, but being good on offside calls.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Philip Tomasino has been traded to the Oshawa Generals, who are gearing up to try to host the Memorial Cup next season. For anyone looking to follow Tomasino I live-tweet every game and give stats/updates/etc on twitter at @Generalsupdates

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
The Ads ground out a 2-1 OT come from behind win against Rockford in a Saturday game that was moved up from 6 PM to 1 PM due to Isaiah.

The team was rewarded with nearly 5800 fans and a win! There were 6 old time Admirals players including Danny Lecours (#27 Retired), Yves Preston (#7) and Rich Sirois (#57) the first goalie that I remember seeing for the Admirals in 1981-82. I checked, he played in 64 of the 82 games. Lecours had 59 goals that season and Preston had 25 out of the 385 that the team scored. Former 1980 US Olympian William "Buzz" Schneider was also there.

Rockford got on the scoreboard first with a goal by Dman Lucas Carlsson about 14 minutes into period 1. It was Salomaki's fault. He checked an IceHog behind the south net on a 4-on-4. The Rockford player out skated him up the ice and was the trailer on the play. Salomaki was 10 or 15 feet behind him and watched the puck go in off his stick from the high slot. Ingram (#1 Star with 18 saves) had no chance on the play.

Milwaukee did a lot of stupid things in this game. That was part of why they only had 6 SOG in period 1, when they could have had 20. Rockford played a strong defensive game and kept Milwaukee from getting clear shots on goal. The Ads would throw the puck across the crease area but it would be out of reach by another Milwaukee player or go behind him or no Admirals player was even near it. The passing was awful the entire period.

I talked to Ryan Miller, the some time substitute for Aaron Sims on the radio broadcasts, about that when I bumped into him during the first intermission. He believed that the bad passing was due to scrambled lines due to the call ups. I remain skeptical, are these are pro players. He did like McCarron in the first period that he had seen him play.

Rem Pitlick (#3 Star) scored for Milwaukee on a pass from Tommy Novak. The Rockford goalie, Kevin Lankinen (#2 Star with 35 saves) had no reaction time. Fred Gaudreau scored the OT winner 39 seconds in. It was reviewed for what seemed like 2 or 3 minutes before it was announced as a goal. My neighbor down the row said the puck hit a Rockford player and went in the net. I never got a good look at it and it was at the north end of the ice.

Ref Ratings: Shaun Davis #31 and Carter Sandlak #6 both get sixes. They let the teams play, but at times I thought that they let Rockford get away with too much after the whistle garbage. I am surprised that there were no fights in the game. Healey smashed an IceHog in the mouth for something that he did to Tanner Jeannot in period 3. Jeannot and the IceHog talked for 20 seconds after that, but no penalties were called.

Linesmen Tyler Gregory #66 did his usual stellar job and gets a 7. He called Rockford for too many men that the refs did not catch. Linesman Jameson Gronet #95 missed a Rockford offside that I saw from 150 feet away three minutes into period 3. He also called Milwaukee offside during a third period power play rush that looked to be onside. From the crowd reaction, loudly booing for 15 or 20 seconds, I guess that he was wrong. he gets a 4.

There was nearly a total absence of players being thrown out of the face off. That was refreshing!

Something new, the Dirty Player of the Game! Nathan Noel. He hit some people late. He threw an elbow at Healey's head in period 2 and missed. He did some other crap and never got called for a penalty.

Last edited:
Reactions: GoldOnGold

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Milwaukee went on the road to Rockford and won 4-1 for their third win in a row.

Each of the four offensive lines for the Admirals scored a goal. The three stars of the game were Olivier, McCarron and Richard.

Troy Grosenick had 18 saves.

Milwaukee has 60 points and a 13 point lead over Iowa. The next two teams in the AHL have 53.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Milwaukee with a 3-2 SO win over Chicago. Olivier with his 7th goal. Carr tied the game with a lot of hard work tonight. Pitlick's winner in the SO.

I saw a guy on the upper west concourse wearing a Vegas pullover sweater. He was about 6'2" with curly light brown hair and around 45 years old. He kept talking to the same two guys, one about 5'9" thin, with very short hair, the other guy was about 5'11" and rather nondescript.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Milwaukee ground out a 2-1 win against the Belleville Senators, a team that has 25 wins in 43 games.

Milwaukee has 29 wins in 43 games and is gaudy 16-3-1-1 at home so far this season.

Trenin was the #1 star with an assist on the first goal and he scored the second goal. Both were PPG. He looks faster on his skates than before.

Ingram, the #3 star, had 20 saves. A few of those saves should have counted double. He also passed the puck to the wrong team 4 times, they nearly scored twice on his misjudgments. He needs to work on that aspect of his game!

If Pitlick could get the puck on net, he could have scored 4 goals tonight. The Ads had 15 or so quality scoring chances which resulted in 2 goals. Pitlick had no official shots on goal. Salomaki had 5 SOG.

Ref Ratings: If the game ended after 2 periods, all four on ice officials would have received a nine. Two of them had brain farts in period three.

Mason Riley, #79 and the taller ref, still gets a nine. Jeremy Tufts, #78 gets a six. A Senator had Richard in a combination square dance hook and hammer lock behind the goal for 15 seconds or so. Richard was spinning around like a top trying to get free since the puck was at the center line. Tufts was 15 feet away and just stared without raising his arm. That prompted a round of "ref you suck" from the fans at my end. He also called Tinordi for a trip. The replay showed that the guy lost an edge and Tinordi's stick never got within 6 inches of his skates. He had some other screw ups in period 3.

Linesman Ben O'Quinn, #92, gets a nine. Jonathan Deschamps, #84 had some offside issues in period three. He also got in the way of a few pucks. He gets a seven. Neither linesman kicked very many players out of face offs, which was a good thing in this game.

Dirty Player of the Game: Alex Formenton. He likes using his stick on people. He got into several jousting contests during the game. Carrier got jabbed in the stomach a few times in period two and he skated after Formenton as they went up ice and jabbed him back in the stomach, then smacked him on the back of the right thigh with his stick. Formenton was called for one penalty in the game, a high sticking minor when the toe of his blade was caught inside the visor of an Admirals player in the northeast corner. He could have been called for 1 or 2 more, but he kept doing it in front of Ref Tufts, who didn't call it when he hit players in the head with his stick.

Gaudreau, the Energy Player of the Game, looked like he got hit in the mouth and maybe lost a tooth. I didn't see it, but I will guess that it was Formenton. Freddy was skating toward the Admirals bench and he did not make it back. He was laying face down on the center line about 30 feet from the Admiral's bench. There was no replay. Gaudreau talked to Ref Tufts for about 20 seconds after he got up and pointed at his mouth. (Earlier in period three, Belleville goalie Joey Daccord, the #2 star, went down on a routine save. Play did not resume for a good two minutes. There was no replay. There is a camera that watches each goal, so there must be some video. He caught the puck with his glove, so it didn't hit him in the groin. I have no idea what happened in front of me. The people behind me were talking and they did not see what happened.)

I have no idea if the two mysterious third period injuries were linked.

Last edited:

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Scott Wheeler is doing a prospect ranking for the Athletic and has us with the number 22 prospect pool. His rankings are here:
Screen-Shot-2020-01-19-at-2.58.40-PM.png

Different colors represent different tiers of players who are relatively close. Only players under 23 and not in the NHL are included.

Reactions: GoldOnGold

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I don't disagree with much. I will say I think Kondelik might be a little lower than I would have him. I might swap him with Del Gaizo. I also think Stastney should be higher and would put him closer to Harper. While Harper is a good college player I have my doubts that he is ever anything more than that. This helps put perspective on Tolvanen and his age. It feels like we have been waiting on him forever and he is still only 20.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I'm a little surprised that list of prospects is able to rank as highly as #22. To me it just emphasizes the importance of keeping our draft picks - and potentially adding more via selling off impending UFAs. The prospect depth has improved, but is still a fairly long way off where we should ideally want it to be.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
I'm a little surprised that list of prospects is able to rank as highly as #22. To me it just emphasizes the importance of keeping our draft picks - and potentially adding more via selling off impending UFAs. The prospect depth has improved, but is still a fairly long way off where we should ideally want it to be.

Adding Tomasino and Afanasyev last year really helped us. This should be another good year if we can add some more picks at the deadline.

The list looks solid to me, but I don't even remember Del Gaizo does anybody have any info on him?

Reactions: Flgatorguy87

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Adding Tomasino and Afanasyev last year really helped us. This should be another good year if we can add some more picks at the deadline.

The list looks solid to me, but I don't even remember Del Gaizo does anybody have any info on him?
Just drafted last year. Under sized puck moving defenseman....sound familiar? He's basically been what Poile has targeted in the middle rounds that last several years. He played with Makar. He is a smooth skating guy able to drive the rush by himself. Suspect defensively and has to utilize positioning for defensive play due to his size. It's almost a rinse repeat from several of the guys we have drafted recently.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Just drafted last year. Under sized puck moving defenseman....sound familiar? He's basically been what Poile has targeted in the middle rounds that last several years. He played with Makar. He is a smooth skating guy able to drive the rush by himself. Suspect defensively and has to utilize positioning for defensive play due to his size. It's almost a rinse repeat from several of the guys we have drafted recently.

Thanks.

lstcyr

Jul 29, 2002
Visit site
I don't disagree with much. I will say I think Kondelik might be a little lower than I would have him. I might swap him with Del Gaizo. I also think Stastney should be higher and would put him closer to Harper. While Harper is a good college player I have my doubts that he is ever anything more than that. This helps put perspective on Tolvanen and his age. It feels like we have been waiting on him forever and he is still only 20.
Article says the d men in the middle are really close even to the point of you could switch them any way you wanted to. Even Stastney for del Gaizo.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Article says the d men in the middle are really close even to the point of you could switch them any way you wanted to. Even Stastney for del Gaizo.
That makes sense. I'd agree, not that my opinion is anything special, but I'd also say if we get more than 4-5 full time NHLers from this list then I will be surprised.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->